SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doucanoe

Woodie's Mexicna Salad...question

doucanoe
14 years ago

I want to make this salad for a gathering tomorrow. Woodie's notes say it can be made a day ahead, but I am wondering about the avocados. Won't they turn brown?

I really need a make-ahead dish because I have to get going fairly early in the morning.

Layered Mexican Salad

Dressing:

1/4 cup mayonnaise

1/4 cup sour cream

1/4 cup jarred salsa (I used mild picante)

2 T chopped fresh cilantro

2 tsps fresh lime juice

Salad:

1 romaine heart, torn into bite sized pieces (about 4 cups)

1/2 small red onion, sliced thin

2 cups cherry tomatoes, halved (quartered if large)

1 cup fresh or frozen corn kernels

1 (16 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed

2 ripe avocados, pitted, skinned and chopped

1-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese (I used Mexican blend)

2 cups crushed tortilla chips

For the dressing: Whisk all ingredients in medium bowl.

For the salad: Place lettuce in large serving bowl. Spread half of dressing over lettuce, then layer with onion, tomatoes, corn, beans, avocados and cheese. Spread remaining dressing over salad. Sprinkle with tortilla chips. Serve.

(Salad can be refrigerated for 1 day; reserve tortilla chips until just before serving). Serves 6-8.

Source: CookÂs Country August/September 2008

Posted by Woodie 1/09

Linda

Comments (8)

• lindac
    14 years ago

Nope....the lime juice will prevent them from darkening.
    Linda C

• seagrass_gw Cape Cod
    14 years ago

To play it safe, I think I would toss the diced avocado with a squeeze of fresh lime juice before putting that layer in the mix. But I have not made this salad before, so hopefully you'll hear from someone who has. It sounds delish and I would make it in a trifle bowl so all of the beautiful colors would shine.

seagrass

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I think I'll do just that, Seagrass. I'll toss the avocado chunks with a bit of lime juice.

Linda, my thought was that since the lime juice is in the dressing, and the dressing is spread over the layers, if it doesn't actually touch each avocado chunk there may be some browning. Don't you think so?

Linda

• woodie
    14 years ago

Oh, Heavens to Betsy! I got scared to death when I saw this post beause I don't remember any Mexican Salad in my lifetime! Things can happen if you post recipes at night after you have red wine with dinner. Well, I searched and found that I had, in fact, posted it, LOL, but the rest of the recipe will show that it is Ann of Virginia's recipe - so let's change the name to Ann's Layered Mexican Salad and give her the credit and not me. In any event, I would do what Seagrass suggested and toss the avocado in some extra lime juice also - certainly couldn't hurt.

Here's the rest of the story (with a nod to Paul Harvey :)

Posted by annova914 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 8, 08 at 23:09
    I just made this for tonight's dinner and it is delicious. I think you could substitute Italian parsley for the cilantro if you don't like cilantro. I made extra dressing thinking there wouldn't be enough but there was (so I'll use the delicious extra dressing on a tossed salad - it's very good). I used fresh corn which made the salad really refreshing on a hot night. Ann/VA

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Oh wow! This sounds outstanding! I am definitely going to put it on the list for our 4th of July BBQ!

THanks for posting it!

Alexa

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for clearing that up, Woodie! LOL

I did toss the avocado with some lime juice. And I actually did have to double the dressing recipe. Maybe because I put it in a wide, shallow bowl. If you used a taller, narrower bowl, you may get by with less dressing, and maybe the layers would be more "distinct".

I'll let you all know tomorrow how good it was!

Linda

• trixietx
    14 years ago

That sounds really good, it is definately on my to try list, very soon!

Thanks for the recipe Linda, Woodie and Ann!!

• doucanoe
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just a follow up...

I brought this salad to our spring perennial plant swap on Sunday and everyone was raving about it! There were 20 people there and at least five asked for the recipe!

With all credit given to Ann of VA, I posted it for them on the MN gardening forum. See? Our recipes are far-reaching! LOL

I will definitely be making this salad again!

Linda