SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20160723

Decisions on new system.

User
13 years ago

I've been interviewing a few (4 companies) for replacing my HVAC system. I just moved into my house in May. The house was built in 1989 and the AC was built in 1988. Believe it or not, it still works, albeit an 8 SEER system for a house that has 1800 feet above ground and a 650 feet basement. The current furnace is 60% efficient, according to two of the installers who came, but it's only 9 years old. It's all Trane. I figured that now was the best time to change the system, while there was still a tax rebate for doing it.

So, of the 4 companies, only 2 are in the finals. One is offering Trane and the other Carrier. The Trane guy installed a system in my old condo when I was in emergency mode and the system has never been a problem. The guy is not the best in communications (he barely uses email, so I can't get in touch with him that way), so it's hard to get information in writing from him. Still, given his limitations, I know him and Trane has been good for me.

The other guy sells Carrier and I originally wasn't going to consider other than Trane. That guy is super informative and quick to respond to all of my questions. He has been helping me to think about the whole house (including new ducting to truly heat/condition the basement). The Trane guy sized the unit for the main house and said that just adding one register to the basement to borrow heat/AC from the rest of the house is good enough because the basement is used less often and is insulated on one side by ground.

So, I know the Trane guy and have no complaints, but the Carrier guy is working far harder. I have a bias towards Trane and now it has a reputation for reliability (like the 23-year-old AC I have).

The Carrier guy is also recommending dual fuel, although he priced with and without. I live in the Raleigh area of NC. I've heard differing opinions about hybrids.

The Trane guy is recommending 3 tons AC XL16i + Furnace XV95.

The Carrier guy's most similar offer is 3 tons AC 24ABC6 + Furnace 58 MVC.

I am trying to compare offers based on that. It seems that since both are the same size, with 16 SEER rated AC with 2 stage variabe speed furnace (actually 3 stage for the Carrier?) at 95% AFUE, that given the same ducting work, piping, line set replacement, etc., they should be considered approximately equivalent. Is that a fair statement?

The next decision then is about the basement. The Carrier guy suggests I might want to add ductwork to the basement and then zone it so that it's a true part of the system and then up the tonnage to 3.5 (and also go from gas only to dual fuel). The Trane guy says all of that is overkill and just that one borrowed register in the basement plus a space heater will do.

Any input to help?

Marc

Comments (14)