SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_21164925

My New Favourite Meatball Recipe

User
14 years ago

Saturday night's dinner was Pasta with Meatballs. I tried something a little different. Made meatballs, using just pork and seasoned with fresh garlic and fresh basil. Got the idea from another blogger who made Pork, Garlic and Basil burgers. Since I'm a traditionalist when it comes to burgers, I didn't like that idea, but I thought the mixture had meatball possibilities if doctored up a little, and, I was right. The combination of the fresh garlic and the fresh basil is amazing. Definitely a keeper.

I made these after I got home from work on Saturday. Once they were browned, they only took about 45 minutes simmering in the sauce to become melt in the mouth tender.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Pork Meatballs seasoned with Garlic and Fresh Basil

===================================================

1 1/2 pounds ground pork

2 cloves garlic, mashed

1/2 cup fresh basil, shredded or cut into ribbons

1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs

2 eggs

1/4 cup chicken broth

1/2 cup parmesan cheesefreshly cracked black pepper

salt

Sauce

olive oil

2 to 3 cloves of garlic

2 cans of tomatoes

high quality dried basil

salt and pepper

1/2 cup fresh chopped basil

For the Meatballs

Put the meat in a bowl. Using a microplane grate the garlic. This is the quickest and easiest way to make a garlic paste. Add the parmesan cheese and the salt and pepper. Pulse the basil with the bread crumbs and add to the bowl. Add the eggs and mix well. To check for seasoning by frying a small piece.

Form into meatballs and brown in olive oil. Add to the pot of sauce and simmer about one hour.

For the Sauce

Add the garlic cloves to the oil and saute for 30 to 60 seconds. Do not Brown!!!!

Add the tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper and bring to a simmer. Add the browned meatballs and continue to simmer for about an hour or until the meatballs are tender.

Just before serving add fresh chopped basil.

Comments (24)