SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardengrl_gw

Icebox pies?

gardengrl
15 years ago

Hubs and I went to Cracker Barrel a few nights ago and split a piece of strawberry icebox pie. It was delish and perfect for this hot weather we're getting!

Anyone have some good, T&T recipes for icebox pies? Strawberry? Lemon? Chocolate?

Comments (21)

• stacy3
    15 years ago

I think? this might be an icebox pie? If not, it's good anyway - lol.

FROZEN STRAWBERRY MARGARITA PIE

This mildly spiked dessert is so easy to put together, it will quickly become one of your summer-entertaining standbys.

For crust
    1 1/4 cups graham cracker crumbs from 9 (2 1/4- by 4 3/4-inch) crackers
    2 tablespoons sugar
    5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

For filling
    1 lb strawberries, halved (3 1/2 cups)
    1 tablespoon finely grated fresh lime zest (from 3 limes)
    1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 limes)
    1 (14-oz) can sweetened condensed milk
    2 tablespoons tequila
    2 tablespoons triple sec, Cointreau, or other orange-flavored liqueur
    1 1/2 cups chilled heavy cream

Garnish: small strawberries

Make crust: Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 350°F.

Stir together graham cracker crumbs, sugar, and butter in a bowl with a fork until combined well, then press mixture evenly onto bottom and up side of a buttered 9-inch metal or glass pie plate (4-cup capacity).

Bake 10 minutes, then cool in pie plate on a rack, about 30 minutes.

Make filling: Purée strawberries, zest, lime juice, condensed milk, tequila, and liqueur in a blender until just smooth, then transfer to a large bowl.

Beat cream in another bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until it just holds stiff peaks. Fold one third of cream into strawberry mixture gently but thoroughly to lighten, then fold in remainder in 2 batches.

Pour filling into crust, mounding it slightly, and freeze, uncovered, until firm, about 4 hours. Remove from freezer and let soften in refrigerator, about 40 minutes, before serving (pie should be semisoft).

Cooks' notes:
    ÂPie can be frozen up to 3 days, covered with plastic wrap after 4 hours and then wrapped in heavy-duty foil.
    ÂPie can also be made in a 9-inch (24-cm) springform pan. Press crumb mixture onto bottom and 1 inch up side of pan.

Makes 8 servings.

Gourmet
    August 2006
    Epicurious.com © CondéNet, Inc. All rights reserved.

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

This recipe from P. Allen Smith, gardener, stylist, author, etc. is a classic.

Lemon Icebox Pie

Crust Ingredients:
    1 1/4 cup graham crackers
    3 tablespoons sugar
    1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted

Filling Ingredients:
    1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
    1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
    1 1/3 cup sweetened condensed milk

Meringue Ingredients:
    2 egg whites.
    4 tablespoons sugar.
    1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
    Instructions:
    Begin by making the graham cracker crust. For me a lemon pie just isn't the same with any other type of crust. Combine the graham cracker crumbs and sugar, and then add the melted butter. Stir this together until you have a crumbly mixture. Press the mixture into a 9-inch pie plate and bake at 350 dgrees F for about 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.

Pour sweetened condensed milk into a medium sized bowl and gradually add lemon juice and grated rind. Stir this until well blended and then pour into cool graham cracker crust.

Now you are ready to make the meringue. In large bowl, add the egg whites and the cream of tartar. Beat until all the egg white turns into foam. Add the four tablespoons of sugar and beat until stiff enough to hold a peak, but not dry. Pour the mixture on top of the pie filling and bake in a preheated oven at 325 degrees F for 15 minutes.

After removing the pie from the oven, chill it in the refrigerator until the filling sets. This usually takes a little over an hour.
    You should find some more icebox pies at the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk web site

• Related Discussions

What's wrong with this recipe - Lemon Icebox pie

Q

Comments (13)
    FYI - this is not a lemon meringue pie in the traditional sense. This is an old recipe that is more similar to the Key Lime pie made with sweetened condensed milk, but this is made with SCM and lemon juice, not lime juice. It is very rich - because of the SCM (sweetened condensed milk). I would not recommend that you make double the filling for one pie. I would recommend that you make two flatter pies in two 9-inch graham cracker crumb crusts instead. I love this recipe because it is delicously rich, lemony, easy, and can be made ahead. I also love this pie because it is the closest thing I can get to my beloved Lemon Ice Box ice cream of years gone by. Teresa
    ...See More

Pie Vote

Q

Comments (99)
    "Chocolate Hazelnut Bavarian Cream. I add Frangelico to it when I make it to accentuate the hazelnut flavor." OMG! ! ! ! I thought I didn't like cream pies. But this sounds so out-of-this-world, I am drooling all over my keyboard! F30 Recipe? Please? Down on my knees, hands clasped. Tears flowing. Begging? Please? Pretty please? Rusty
    ...See More

LOOKING for: Cool Whip for Whipping Cream???

Q

Comments (10)
    I agree........and now there is the Cool Whip Free that is supposed to be sugar free, but whether it is sugar replacement free might be another thing. I've not tried it yet so I don't know. I do have a lot of recipes that call for Cool Whip and lots of times I will use whipped cream depending on the occasion. If I want something to taste especially rich, I will use a little whipped cream instead of a lot of Cool Whip.
    ...See More

Meyer lemon: why don't I like it?

Q

Comments (34)
    I'm not a Meyer fan either. I think it has a lot to do with personal preference of the individual. In case you're wondering, Meyer is in a different group from other lemons. Meyer is believed to have originated from hybridization between citron and mandarin, whereas other lemons came about from hybridization between citron and sour orange. Meyer has a bit more mandarin ancestry than other lemons, so it's sweeter and more cold tolerant, though some (like me) feel it has less flavor/fragrance. For other people though, Meyer is their favorite lemon.
    ...See More
  • kframe19
    15 years ago

Crackhead Barrel used to have a Lemon Icebox Pie that was just incredible.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    15 years ago

Opinions? On the Eagle Brand Sweetend Condensed Milk website the no-bake cherry cheese pie recipe (which is pretty dang good, by the way. Daddy makes this for his summer get togethers), what would you substitute in place of the lemon, if you wanted to use a chocolate crust with the cherry topping, to be somewhat Black forest in spirit???

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    15 years ago

you can make a pretty good key lime pie in much the same manner as the cherry cheese pie... It's Eagle's brand, key lime juice, an egg, ? something else... in a graham cracker crust. It's pretty good. If that's icebox enough for you, I can find the real recipe.

• Terri_PacNW
    15 years ago

Rob, use some coconut milk or even milk..you could use cherry juice if you don't mind a pink layer. :o)

• grainlady_ks
    15 years ago

My mom's recipe includes raw eggs, which fly in the face of food safety these days. I'd substitute reconstituted powdered egg yolks, which are pasteurized, or use Egg Beaters that would equal the amount of the egg yolks - and powdered Egg Whites.

LEMON REFRIGERATOR PIE

18 vanilla wafers, roll fine and put in pie pan
    yolks of 4 eggs
    whites of 4 eggs
    1 can Eagle Brand milk
    juice of 3 lemons

Beat yolks and lemon juice together. Add Eagle brand milk and beat well. Pour over vanilla wafers. Beat egg whites stiff, add 1 T. sugar. Bake in slow oven until brown. Put in refrigerator.
    --------------------------

ORANGE REFRIGERATOR DESSERT
    2/3 c. sugar
    3 egg yolks, beaten
    1/2 c. orange juice
    2 T. lemon juice
    2 c. vanilla wafer crumbs
    1 t. grated orange peel
    1/8 t. salt
    3 egg whites, beaten stiff
    1 c. chilled evaporated milk, whipped

Gradually add sugar to egg yolks and beat thoroughly. Add fruit juices, orange peel and salt. Fold in egg whites and whipped milk. Pour into pan lined with wafer crumbs, sprinkle some on top and freeze until firm.
    ------------------------

Then the next generation of "cool" pies were DREAM PIES (and DREAM DESSERTS and DREAM Frostings) from back in the late 1970's. They included envelopes of DREAM WHIP (is that even available anymore?) and boxes of Instant Pudding in a baked pie shell or graham cracker crust.

-Grainlady

• teresa_nc7
    15 years ago

The lemon juice is what causes the condensed milk to thicken and set up. I don't know that you should replace it with something else. Guess you could try, but do it as a test recipe - not when you have dinner guests.

Teresa

• willeneg
    15 years ago

Key Lime (or lemon) Pie

1 prepared graham cracker crust
    8 oz Cool whip
    1 can Condensed milk
    1/2 cup Nelly & Jo's key lime (or key lemon) juice

Stir together Cool Whip, condensed milk & juice. Pour into graham crust & freeze.

• rob333 (zone 7b)
    15 years ago

After cherry cheese pie sits out a bit, it softens mildy (read: creamier texture), so I thought chilling was key in setting it. No?

• dixiedog_2007
    15 years ago

Easiest ever...

Mix up Cream Cheese & Cool Whip in a bowl (add a little sugar and vanilla if you want). Place into graham cracker crust and put in frig. to set.

Add Blueberry, cherry, etc. to top once pie is set and serve. Note: Use canned topping or your own fresh fruit along with juice.

• nashvillegirl
    15 years ago

This is one of our favorites! Chocolate Wafer Icebox Cake...use the Nabisco Famous Wafers...I usually find them with the ice cream toppings, but sometimes they are with the packaged cookies, usually on the top shelf. This gets better the longer is chills after you make it. This is so simple to make and people are blown away by it.

Adapted from The Magnolia Bakery Cookbook (Simon & Schuster)

"The one dessert I have great memories of us [my mom and I] making together is the chocolate wafer icebox cakeÂthe same one that we serve at the bakery today. Apparently, while the rest of the country was slaving away shaping Nabisco chocolate wafers into the log that was pictured on the side of the box, we were using chocolate snap cookies to make a really simple yet really delicious round icebox cake." ÂAllysa Torey
    INGREDIENTS

* 3 cups heavy cream
    * 3 Tablespoons sugar
    * 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
    * 2 (9-ounce) packages chocolate wafer cookies
    * Unsweetened cocoa powder or chocolate shavings

In a large bowl, beat cream, sugar and vanilla with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form.

On a flat serving plate, arrange 7 cookies side by side in a circle, keeping 1 cookie in the center.

Spread with 1/2 cup whipped cream, making a 7-inch circle. Repeat with remaining cookies and cream, making 11 layers of cookies and ending with a layer of cream (there will be a few cookies left over). Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.

To serve, dust top lightly with cocoa powder or chocolate shavings. (Note - I use both! Yum!)

• patricialynn
    15 years ago

Nashvillegirl,

I make your Chocolate Wafer Icebox Cake but in a log shape. Just alternate whippped cream with wafer cookies, then cover the log with whipped cream.

Everyone loves it.

Patti

• pat_t
    15 years ago

The crust on this one is just incredible!

STRAWBERRY PECAN FLUFF PIE

4 egg whites, at room temperature
    1-1/2 tsp. cream of tartar
    2 cups sugar
    1 tsp. vanilla extract
    1 cup Ritz cracker crumbs
    1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
    1 cup whipping cream
    1 cup Cool Whip
    1 cup fresh sliced strawberries

Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar in a mixing bowl at medium speed until frothy. Add 1/2 cup sugar gradually, beating constantly at high speed. Beat in the vanilla. Add another 1/2 cup of the sugar gradually, beating constantly until stiff. Fold in the cracker crumbs and pecans. Spoon into a lightly greased pie plate and pat lightly to form a crust. Bake at 325° F. for 1 hour or until dry and crisp.
    Beat the whipping cream in a mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Add the remaining 1 cup sugar gradually, beating constantly until blended. Fold in the Cool Whip and strawberries. Spoon the strawberry filling into the prepared pie plate. Chill, covered, until serving time. Serves 6 to 8.

From Bay FêtesÂA Tour of Celebrations Along The Gulf Coast by the Jr. Service League of Panama City, 2003.

• gardengrl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pat, that crust sounds almost like a meringue. Hmmmm...

I found a couple on the internet that sound good:

Banana-Peanut Butter S'mores Icebox Pie
    The Washington Post, August 1, 2007

This very sweet and easy no-bake dessert, made with a prepared graham-cracker pie crust, is great after a summer meal. It can be kept frozen and served right from the freezer. If you donÂt care for peanuts or canÂt eat them, simply omit the peanut butter and peanuts from the recipe; the pie will still be good. The pie can be made up to 5 days in advance. Serve with whipped cream. Makes one 9-inch pie (16 servings)

Ingredients:
    12 1/2 ounces good-quality semisweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
    2 to 3 slightly overripe bananas
    1/3 cup heavy cream
    3 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
    1 9-inch store-bought graham cracker pie crust
    1 1/2 cups marshmallow creme or fluff (from one 7-ounce jar)
    2/3 cup toasted and cooled shredded coconut (may substitute 2/3 cup finely chopped salted peanuts, or 1/3 cup of each), for garnish

Directions:
    Place the chocolate in the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Put the banana in a 4-cup or other large glass measure, pressing down to compact the banana. Add enough cream to yield 1 1/3 cups of banana and cream. Microwave on high for 1 minute; stop and stir. Return to the microwave and heat on high for about 2 minutes, watching closely and stopping when the mixture boils. (Alternatively, heat the banana-cream mixture to boiling in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring.)

Immediately spoon the banana-cream mixture over the chocolate, but do not process. Let stand for about 10 minutes so the heat can soften the chocolate, then process until very well blended. Add the peanut butter; process for 1 1/2 minutes, scraping down the sides of the processor as needed, until evenly incorporated. Spread about half of the banana-chocolate mixture (no need to measure) evenly into the graham cracker crust; reserve the remainder. Freeze the pie for 10 to 15 minutes, until the banana-chocolate layer is slightly firm. Top with the marshmallow, spreading evenly with a greased table knife. Then top the marshmallow with the remaining banana-chocolate mixture, spreading evenly. Sprinkle the top evenly with the coconut and/or chopped peanuts.
    Cover and freeze for at least 1 1/2 hours and up to 5 days.

Cut the frozen pie with a large, sharp knife dipped in hot water and wiped clean between cuts; if the pie is too firm to cut easily, let it stand until warmed up just slightly. Serve immediately, garnished with the coconut or chopped peanuts.

• gardengrl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Here's another I found:

Chocolate Icebox Pie

Ingredients
    2/3 cup milk
    3/4 cup semisweet chocolate morsels
    1/4 cup cold water
    2 tablespoons cornstarch
    1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
    3 large eggs, beaten
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    3 tablespoons butter or margarine
    1 (6-ounce) ready-made chocolate crumb piecrust
    1 cup whipping cream
    1/4 cup sugar
    1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
    1 (1.55-ounce) milk chocolate candy bar, chopped

Preparation:
    Heat milk until it just begins to bubble around the edges in a 3-quart saucepan over medium heat (do not boil). Remove from heat, and whisk in chocolate morsels until melted. Cool slightly.

Stir together cold water and cornstarch until dissolved.
    Whisk cornstarch mixture, sweetened condensed milk, eggs, and vanilla into chocolate mixture. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Boil 1 minute or until mixture thickens and is smooth. (Do not overcook.)
    Remove from heat, and whisk in butter. Spoon mixture into piecrust. Cover and chill at least 8 hours.

Beat whipping cream at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy; gradually add sugar, beating until soft peaks form. Spread whipped cream evenly over pie filling, and sprinkle with pecans and candy bar pieces.

• stacy3
    15 years ago

wow, these all sound great - and nashvillegirl - that is beautiful - I love the presentation.

Banana peanut butter smore's????? Gardengirl, that sounds good!

I'll be saving this!

• vacuumfreak
    15 years ago

I went to Cracker Barrel last week and had the same pie. When it came with ice crystals all over it, my friend and I were pretty shocked. We ate it the whole time with a grimace on our faces thinking how silly they were to forgetting to defrost the pie. I even joked about asking for their "recipe". My friend asked the server why the pie was still frozen. We were shocked to learn that they were supposed to be frozen... the picture on the menu didn't show ice crystals!

I don't remember if I liked it or not, because I ate it with the wrong frame of mind!

We thought ice box meant refrigerated, not frozen!

• gardengrl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bobby, that's too funny! It was good though, sort of like ice-cream, but not. No, the picture didn't look frozen, but I think I remembered reading it was frozen in the description, so we knew what we were getting.

Must be a regional thing as there are refigerator pies and icebox pies. But then, when refrigerators first came out, they were called iceboxes.

Confusing

• pat_t
    15 years ago

Stacie - yes, that crust actually is a meringue-y type. But it's the addition of the ritz cracker crumbs and pecans that makes it so incredible. It's chewy and crunchy at the same time. It's the specialty of a little local joint called The Cheese Barn in Panama City, FL. It is positively to die for. A friend and I sometimes meet there just for this dessert and coffee.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    15 years ago

I also thought icebox pie meant refrigerated. I have family who call the refrigerator the icebox.
    Great recipes though!