SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Talk to me about carb addiction . . .

alisande
15 years ago

I didn't want to hijack Marita's thread on the South Beach Diet, but it struck a chord with me because of the mention of carb addiction.

Thirteen years ago I realized I had to do something about my serious addiction to carbs, particularly sugar. Treating it like my previous addiction to nicotine, I gave up carbs cold turkey: No sugar, no bread, no other baked goods, no pasta, no fruit. I was a beast to live with for a few weeks, but when I got over it I felt so great to be free of carb cravings!

I lost almost 50 pounds, and kept it off as long as I stayed away from carbs. But in the past few years I've been tweaking my diet, trying to add healthy carbs like fruit and the occasional serving of whole grains, plus alcohol once in a while.

I don't know what role alcohol plays in carb addiction, but I suspect it isn't very significant, especially if one doesn't drink very often. But adding fresh fruit and dried fruit has had a big impact, I think. Then over Christmas I ate a lot of crackers and pretzels. (The latter is my nemesis!) The result is that even though I still stay strictly away from sugar, I've put on some weight and my carb cravings are back in spades.

So I ask you experienced carb cravers: Is it possible to eliminate cravings while eating moderate amounts of high-carb (but healthy) foods? I really don't think it's a good idea to go through life avoiding carbs altogether, but these cravings (and the extra pounds) are no fun.

What has your experience been?

Susan

Comments (18)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH