SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ponydoc_gw

Talk to me about carpet.

ponydoc
16 years ago

We have done very, very well on our overall budget thus far. In fact we are right on budget at present and we are probably 85% done.

We just got our estimates for all of our tile and carpet. We are good with tile- even though our shower is ridulously expensive- we are well within the budget.

The carpet is a different story. The estimate is more than double the budget. We are only carpeting 3 rooms - 3 bedrooms. My builder told me our carpet est is more than his whole house and they did 4 bedrooms, a living room and another room. I guess I have good taste!

What really put us over was the kids rooms so I think we are leaving our carpet as is and picking out new carpet for the kids. I really like very low knap ( sp) and would prefer something other than berber..... on the other hand maybe I will see how much hard wood is left and just hard wood the kids rooms. I think it would be less than carpet- of course then I would need more rugs.... ( not cheap but fun!)

Any good suggestions?

Comments (26)

• bob411
    16 years ago

If you have that much hardwood left over, somebody did some bad measuring, LOL, but if you do have it left over then it's free. If you have to buy more hardwood $5.00 to $7.00 a s.f. plus install, to do the rooms then you would have to buy some really expensive carpet for hardwood to be cheaper. I wouldn't hesitate to put cheap $10.00 a s.y. carpet in the kids rooms. it would last 5 years, or until the do something bad to it.

• meldy_nva
    16 years ago

Another vote for very inexpensive carpet in the kids' room/s. Do we know any boys who never took apart an inkpen to see how it works? Ink splotches are just as permanent on $50 sy as on $5 sy carpeting! I put a very el cheapo rug on DD's floor [but with a thick pad] and a) no one else ever noticed that it wasn't as luxurious; b) I didn't scream when she practiced drawing -with india ink- on the carpet; and c) I didn't feel bad about discarding it when she finally grew up and left home. Even el cheapo rugs will last over 10 years, just long enough to get the kids grown.

• Related Discussions

Talk to me about carpet! Berber? 'Shag'?

Q

Comments (15)
    DH brings home scraps of berber from office bulding remodels. He carpets our garage steps and puts scraps in front of the tool chests. That stuff wears like iron!!! The cars leave pools of melting snow that the berber soaks up......it still looks great!!! I think a small yarn, light tan color carpet,leaning toward grey, is my first choice. Not a shag, but long enough to be plush and warm. "IF" we lived in a climate where there were fleas.....I hear plush carpets are undesirable.
    ...See More

BM Shaker Beige - talk to me about it.

Q

Comments (8)
    I found Shaker Beige can change depending on what is in the room. Looked great with my golden oak cabinets, did not look good with black furniture. It has a yellow undertone, looks great with golds and reds. I love Smokey Taupe and have used it for years in hallways and my living room. It doesn't have gold undertones and is more neutral. I repainted my living room with it, after many years and had trouble finding it. The store had to look it up on the computer and mix it. It is an old color. Jane
    ...See More

Talk to me about slate tile

Q

Comments (7)
    We used Montauk Black slate for the floors in our recent (1 year old) kitchen reno. After sealing, it's real easy to maintain and we love the look. Here's a shot. There are some things to be aware of when using slate. Most slate has a tendancy to spawl. When that happens you're often left with sharp edges where the layers have flaked off. These areas are very difficult to clean and can be hazardous if walking barefoot. We were informed that slate from Brazil, that's where ours is from, tends to not spawl. So be sure to find out where your slate is from. There are also porcelain tiles that mimic the look of slate and have none of these problems. I've seen several and have a hard time telling the difference. So you might want to check those out.
    ...See More

Talk to me about 90's and 2000's decor

Q

Comments (10)
    Well, I was really young in the nineties..in the middle of the nineties we moved into our first rental, then first apartment..very little money too. I remember being into light wood. I loved maple and cherry-as opposite to my childhood home. (now I prefer teak and walnut...)). I remember going to the stores that were completely unattainable in their price range, and just admiring. We did get a few important things though, like a bed, a dining table, a futon sofa, a vanity...and slowly added to it. Most of these pieces are still alive and kicking-they were really well made. But some, I could afford just to look at. I remember one sectional..I would be going several times a week to the store just to look at it from afar. The upholstery was amazing-it would change from soft silver green to soft silver purple, depending on an angle you looked at it. I found it again here in US, after 15 years. It was Ligne Roset store where I saw it. I recognized it immediately. But this time, I tried to sit on it-and found it really uncomfortable..:) Well..I realize it doesn't shed much light on the general decor tendencies..:)
    ...See More
  • piasano
    16 years ago

Meldy's advice about thick padding was correct. If you choose a good pad, the carpet will still feel great when you walk on it.

Barbara

• carolyn53562
    16 years ago

Ask on the flooring forum what you should look for in inexpensive carpet. I know that some yarns are better than others, etc. You want inexpensive carpet, but you also want it to look good and last, and some of the experts on the flooring forum can help you with that. We went with fairly expensive carpet in our bedrooms and don't regret it at all. Ours looks like a plush with a pattern in it, but technically it is a berber. The new fibers are virtually bullet proof and don't stain, at least nothing has stained ours yet and it sure has been put to the test by my teenage boys! Good luck!

• sierraeast
    16 years ago

Better to put a high end pad under a lower grade carpet than to put a lesser grade pad under a higher grade carpet.

If you are going w/ a low end carpet in the kids room, as stated above, go for a higer end padding. It wont be all that much more than a builder grade padding.

• ponydoc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone.

I am on my way out of town and will handle this latest issue when I come home. After talking to the flooring place it appears that my DDs room alone was almost 2000! LOL Like I said- I guess I have good taste. I should be able to pick something decent and still hit our carpet budget.

I will go for extra nice padding!

• amyks
    16 years ago

Hi PD, I started to reply yesterday and got sidetracked by a million other things! I did some reading and asked a lot of questions when carpet shopping, and there are a lot of different factors with carpet. How it is cut will determine if it will tend to "pill" and the faceweight per ounce will tell a great deal about carpet as well. I fell fast in love with a lush and beautiful thick 70 ounce, until I saw the price. I settled for a 56 ounce very durable carpet that will stand up to the umpteen million carpet cleanings it will have.

Here is some of the "language" you should know, and I am by no means an expert.

The cut is important, you "should" look for a name brand nylon continuous filament carpet. That will wear the best and stand up to cleanings the best as well.

Other cuts are cut pile, where the machine cuts the tops off of the loops of carpet during manufacture, and loop carpet which is more like a berber. There are combinations of both which give you your patterned carpets, called combination cut and loop.

If you want carpet with a very soft "hand" or feel to it, some of the namebrands are Anso Caresse, Stainmaster Tactesse, and Weardate Durasoft (I think).

Padding is as important as carpet. Get at least a good 8 pound waterproof pad. No exceptions.

I agree with not spending a fortune on kid room carpets to some extent. I put the same carpet in their rooms as in the rest of the house because it is a quality carpet, and cheap "builder grade" 24 ounce carpet will look bad within months. It won't wash well, either.

My 2 cents, worth about that!! Good luck

Amy

• chisue
    16 years ago

You invited us to talk to you about carpet. Well...I hate it! I don't care how you clean it, it isn't ever 'clean-clean', as you can see if you've ever removed any. Furthermore, carpet cleaning products leave residue that may irritate sinuses and lungs.

As for adding value to your home, few buyers prefer plywood and carpeting over hardwood flooring.

I'd vote to install hardwood flooring and use area rugs that can be sent out to be washed -- or replaced. You can have a piece of carpeting cut and bound to give you a wider choice of area rugs.

If you have small children and/or pets, skip the expensive padding. 'Liquids' soak not only carpet but padding.

• prairiefox
    16 years ago

Superchick,

I'm not going to croak- you just described the carpet I've been thinking about. May I ask what the name of it is? I am so tired of carpet that looks matted. I want the stuff that hotels have in them. Thanks!

• Phobie Privett
    16 years ago

This was Mohawk commercial carpet. The name of the "series" was something weird, like "MEDIA", I think. And if I remember correctly, the color was called "Satellite". It took me forever to find one that didn't look like a Dr's office. I'm very happy so far. My FIL has the same brand and he is brutal on it and you can't see one piece of dirt on it!

The only drawback is that I think you have to find someone who has installed this type of carpet before. It's not as pliable as residential carpets and takes someone good to lay it down, and they must be careful on transitions (like to tile or wood). Ask me, I know. The head carpet guy did a great job, but his little helpers screwed up a few places and now they have to come back and fix it!

If you need anymore info, just let me know. I'll try to see if I can find a good picture for you.

• Phobie Privett
    16 years ago

Prairiefox-I may have just lied to you! Maybe it is Shaw carpet. I'm looking for it online right now. I know that it is "color-strand" dyed. I think that's specific to the manufacturer, but maybe not. I'll keep looking for you.

• ponydoc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great info everyone...

I think I will have time tomorrow to pick out new carpet for the kids rooms.
    Chisue- I agree with with you about hardwoods - we probably should have sucked it up and budgeted it for the whole house. We did do the math and it would blow my ( on target) budget right now. We are only doing carpet in 3 bedrooms- no where else in the house.

Amy- I will keep all

• ponydoc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Great info everyone...

I think I will have time tomorrow to pick out new carpet for the kids rooms.
    Chisue- I agree with with you about hardwoods - we probably should have sucked it up and budgeted it for the whole house. We did do the math and it would blow my ( on target) budget right now. We are only doing carpet in 3 bedrooms- no where else in the house.

Amy- I will keep all of this in mind. I picked some really nice patterns before and with the waste and the size of the rooms ( they are fairly large bedrooms) a pattern is going to blow the budget- so I will look for continous filament without a pattern.

Superchick.... I would have zero problem with industrial carpet!

PD

• jenanla
    16 years ago

After much debate we decided to do wide pine floors throughout the entire house. Of course I now need to get area rugs. But that's a problem for another day.
    Jenn

• sierraeast
    16 years ago

As a rule, commercial grade carpet is a glue down w/ no padding. On a recent project (office in a metal building), the owner put in commercial grade w/ padding. Feels good on the feet and should be bullet proof, and imo, looks great!

• Happykate
    16 years ago

Superchick, we had some commercial carpet (can't remember manufacturer; we put it in about 18 years ago!) It's a solid color, on the back stairs, back upstairs hall, my office & my husband's office. The back stairs got pretty much ALL the house traffic and  it  looked  great! for all those years. We did put a good pad under it. Honestly, I can't imagine why we didn't do it in this new house. I guess none caught our eye. Boy, that stuff held up.

• Phobie Privett
    16 years ago

Happykate and sierraeast-I'm so glad to hear that! We also put padding down under ours. I'm expecting this carpet to get a workout. I wish I'd have opted for it in my old house, that carpet got trashed in no time, it seems. And I was diligent about removing spots, but it still looked terrible when we moved!

• sierraeast
    16 years ago

A good quality, high density pad 1/2".

• ponydoc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Well we picked our new carpet last night. Bottom line- we are going over our budget for carpet. I think we underestimated. The only way to stay in our budget would have been to go with builder's grade in all 3 bedrooms. I was just not excited about that. I want this carpet to last until it's time to "update" from small child rooms to young adult rooms. We are now 0.5 % over budget on our build. LOL Our builder told us to expect 10% so we are doing well but I so wanted to come in on budget. I may just write a check for some of the carpet and be done with it.

PD

• brutuses
    16 years ago

I vote for hardwood or laminate with area rugs that can be machine washed. It's much cleaner and children, especially, are prone to allergies. It's a healthier choice.

• carolyn53562
    16 years ago

I just thought I'd mention what I think are the regional differences in attitudes towards carpet. Many people in cold climates (I live in Wisconsin) like carpet in bedrooms for warmth as well as sound proofing--I don't like to hear people walking around upstairs. If I did not have carpet in my bedrooms I would want an area rug that was almost as big as the bedroom to get the warmth and sound proofing qualities that I want. Small scatter rugs just don't do it for a lot of people, including me because I grew up in a house with small scatter rugs in the bedrooms and cold floors--I was thrilled the day that my parents finally put wall-to-wall carpeting in my bedroom. I think that people tend to treat big area rugs the same as carpet, except they get cleaned less often because you can't steam clean them in place if you have hardwood floors under them and they are a real pain to roll up and send out to get cleaned every year. I don't know anyone who has their 8' x 10' and larger area rugs cleaned every year--they are very heavy and hard to manage when rolled up. Area rugs need pads and I don't know anyone who buys a new pad for their large area rugs every year either. I think the problems of mold, mildew, etc. in carpet in a warm climate is much different than in a cold climate--my carpets never get moldy, musty, mildewed, etc. If I lived in a warm climate, I might think differently about carpet than I do living in Wisconsin. But IMO carpeting definitely has its place in a cold climate. I have 8' x 10' or larger area rugs over hardwood floors in three rooms in my house and I just don't understand how those area rugs could be healthier than the carpeting that I have in the bedrooms.

• jaymielo
    16 years ago

I think that, as carolyn53562 and brutuses demonstrate, flooring is a personal preference based upon your location and your philosophy. Maybe it is just what you are used to also. We live in a cold weather climate, and I've been having the hardest time choosing a carpet to put in my two little boys rooms. We've always had hardwood thorough out our house (except in bathrooms and our basement) and I don't even put throw rugs down. I remember that my mom was agast when we first had children and they would be crawling around on the hardwood floors. She thought they needed knee pads or something! LOL! But hey, they are tough!

The net net ponydoc, and you know I'm having carpet/hardwood schizophrenia right now, is to do what works for your family, makes you happy and fits in your budget. It sounds like 0.5% over budget isn't a whole lot. You might be able to balance it out somewhere else...

• ponydoc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I live in a cold climate too - and I pretty much agree with what Carolyn says. Up until the last 10 years, upscale homes around here had tile/linoleum or hardwood in the kitchen, baths and laundry and the rest was wall to wall carpet. I think more and more people do hardwood now. I am certainly not against hardwood- I think our final tally is something like 1800 square feet of hardwood flooring in this house. The kitchen/family room, the living room, the dining room, the library the foyer the stair case and the upper stair hall are hardwood. The bathrooms, clutter room and mudroom are tile. That leaves the 3 bedrooms for carpet. We will have area rugs on the hardwood- mostly braided wool ( we are building a farmhouse type.) I am in that same category of really liking carpet in a bedroom. I do think it's a colder climate thing.

As far as kids and allergies- blessed so far in that dept. Of course if you saw where we live now....LOL. I have also given them that latest recommendation for avoiding developing allergies- multiple pets.

We picked one of those new funky shags for my DD's pink room. Of course it's pink with some green and burgundy fibers in it. We picked a nice textured slate blue for DS. Ours stayed the same - it's textured with low knap and "mink" colored.

I have been addicted to "A Pattern Language" as recommended here. It talks about going from harder flooring in the more public and most "out there" areas to soft flooring in the most private and intimate areas. Our house is fitting that to a "T".

I will never forget going to a college friend's home for a visit. Their family room had linoleum on the floor. It was shocking to me. On the other hand it helped explain the decor of her dorm room.....

• jaymielo
    16 years ago

Too funny ponydoc. I like that comment about "harder flooring in the more public and most "out there" areas to soft flooring in the most private and intimate areas". That really makes sense. I just reserved the book at our library. Thanks for the suggestion. Jaymie

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

I live in *mostly* sunny S. CA, but it still is chilly in the winter months. I can't imagine geting out of bed and my feet hitting a cold floor~guess it could wake a child up fairly quickly though. LOL I would have to have an area rug over the majority of the floor, and then make sure I have socks/slippers waiting for me at the edge of the rug so I can pad down the hall and downstairs. Personally, I would prfer carpeting on the bedroom floors, but do what you want in your MB.

Without some sort of fiber/fabric in a house, it can be very cold. Carpeting, rugs, and draperies are the beginning touches in making a home warm and cozy, in more ways than one. ;o)