SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
twitgarden

LG washer - sticky grey residue

twitgarden
15 years ago

Hello,

LG front loader, 1st generation. Nature Clean powder, no other additives or softeners.

A while ago i started getting sticky grey residue nuggets on whites. (Hot wash, warm rinse) I suspected bad rinse due to cold water being way too cold in winter. I also suspected the detergent "Nature Clean". I also noticed residue on the stainless steel drum. I tried to clean the machine with hot water empty washing, vinegar, sodium bicarbonate and some of it came off but not exactly shiny clean. Also noticed that the inside of drum (between drum and machine) also had more residue.

After further research I found out that Sodium Carbonate (Washing Soda) should do the trick. Indeed after 2-3 washes with washing soda the machine is super clean. I looked a bit on the inside and looks like new. I had also considered 'Smelly Washer' but I found out itÂs mostly Citric Acid, not exactly a cleaner degreaser like Sodium Carbonate. European Washing Machine cleaning products seem to be Sodium Carbonate based. My machine is clean now, should be a while, before it should start having deposits again. Right.

My research suggested that 1. I use too much detergent. 2. Machine needs periodical cleaning. 3. Water is indeed too cold and what is supposed to be a warm rinse is not so warm. Note that the machine sprays tap cold water on spin cycle which is good if the water were not near freezing.

Now comes spring, so water is not so cold. Machine is super clean. Put a small load of whites, some t-shirts and linen. To my uttermost surprise, drum is again coated in a thick grey sticky substance. My water is normal (not hard or soft) and I used 2-3 tablespoons of detergent. But given the machine was clean to start, it's quite something that the effect appeared immediately contrary to suspected accumulation of residue over many washes....

Now is it a bad batch of Nature Clean? or the only other element are my t-shirts made in china purchased for $1 each. Maybe the chineese t-shirts are causing the residueÂ

Any ideas???

Thanks,

Comments (17)