SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ddc5151

Kitchen Plan Need Help

ddc5151
13 years ago

Planning on building and this is the kitchen we have designed at the moment. Any help is greatly appreciated.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (20)

• kitchendesigntips
    13 years ago

Hi there! Where in the U.S. do you live? Not sure what kind of 'help' you're looking for. Let me know.

Justin
    justin@kitchen-design-tips.com
    845-405-9122

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Without seeing more of the first floor layout and how the kitchen fits & flows with the rest of the house, my recommendation would be to...
    Switch the range w/the DW & sink; place the DW to the left of the sink
    Switch the refrigerator w/the pantry (lengthen the wall on the left and shorten the wall on the right the same amount.)
    Put a 12" tall utility cabinet b/w the refrigerator and the wall.
    Depending on what rooms are where, the refrigerator might even be better at the "top" of the right counter run.

It's better to protect the range from traffic than it is the sink & DW.

The current refrigerator's location

(1) Directs the traffic into the main work area from the top room

(2) Prevents the door from being opened fully b/c it's against a wall deeper than the refrigerator carcass/box (i.e., minus the door & handle).

If you could give us more information perhaps we could help more. Have you had a chance to check out the "Read Me" thread? There's a "Layout Help" topic that lists the questions we generally ask.

Here is a link that might be useful: Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens!

• Related Discussions

Needing help to visualize kitchen plan

Q

Comments (17)
    I hesitate to put other stock plans up here, because I believe you can absolutely do better with a plan designed specifically for you, but even in the world of stock plans there are better options. Compare what you shared with this, for example. It's an H shape, and the rooms will get so much more light and have better flow. https://houseplans.co/house-plans/1240/
    ...See More

Need help! Which floor plan is better? (House/Kitchen Remodeling)

Q

Comments (9)
    Depends on what you want. Plan one has a serpentine aspect : living /kitchen /dining are removed from each other and the prob is that none of the three spots are large enough to accommodate what I would want . Perhaps that is what you desire in that people will be splintered off but I see continual back and forth and not in a good way. Plan two w probably a reduction of island somewhat offers the one lg space and I would plan for the couch and around fireplace to also contain a couple chairs once the island is adjusted for that. And you still have the front room as a separate area which will evolve as far as your use dictates. Can't comment on storage ......it can be worked out .....looking at more long term possibilities and comfort/enjoyment for day to day living. Good luck
    ...See More

I need help in choosing a floor for open plan kitchen living and dinin

Q

Comments (1)
    We have floating laminate plank that looks like wood, and it's very nice and has worn well.
    ...See More

Open floor plan ... help needed ... kitchen too warm?

Q

Comments (1)
    First step change all the lighting to LEDs 4000K (daylight) that will help when choosing colors to keep them true.Right now I see a lot of yellow hued lighting As for the kitchen what do you mean by too warm IMO cream is a warm color so a bit confused. If you are going to do anything in the kitchen I would remove the cabinets above and for sure around the cooktop and replace that with a nice stainless hood the rest of it seems quite nice.
    ...See More
  • Buehl
    13 years ago

If possible, I would try to make the pantry at least 4'x4'...5'x5' would be even better. My corner pantry is 41" x 51" and it's a bit small, I wish it were at least a foot bigger in each direction.

• jgopp
    13 years ago

I have a friend who has a kitchen with almost exactly the same layout as this proposal. I think it functions well, but I agree about finding a different spot for the fridge as mentioned above.

• dshinaut
    13 years ago

Most right-handed people like their dishwasher to the right of the sink. I would figure out a way to move the fridge. I spend a lot of time going from the refrigerator to the stove so if you could put it on the same wall as the stove it would flow better. I like the eating bar.
    DS

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

I have mocked up Buehl's suggestions (think I got it right.)

I added a trash pullout b/w sink and ref for your prep area and clean up.

I like that the stove is now out of the main walkway, the ref will be able to open all the way, the trash is accessible to prep and clean up, and it's still an easy path from the eating nook to the clean up area.

{{!gwi}}

If you want to keep the pantry where it is (it nicely mirrors the angle of the counter) then you could try this way, with the wall next to the ref shortened. This gives you a nice prep area b/w the ref and the stove, with the sink and trash pullout behind. It does mean people going the the ref will cross behind the stove, but it's not a tight space so that should be OK.

{{!gwi}}

DDC's whole house plan is listed on the Building forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: DDC's building thread

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I like Buehl's second picture, except I'd move the range down, just a bit closer to the fridge...and add a prep sink on the angle counter, with the stools.

I'm not usually a 'prep sink' person, but in this case, it would be very nice. You wouldn't have to cross the aisle, to get from the stove to the sink...and it would give you a place to prep at the sink, without having your back, to your family/friends :)

• Buehl
    13 years ago

"...Most right-handed people like their dishwasher to the right of the sink..."

There have been several threads disputing that over the past year or so. First and foremost, you get used to what you have; second, it all depends on how you do dishes & prefer to hold dishes/manipulate the faucet, etc. I'm right-handed and have had it both ways...neither was better than the other. So, place the DW where it makes the most sense functionally...out of the Prep & Cooking Zones, out of tight aisles if there's through-traffic, and near dish storage.

Here's an idea. It assumes that either you like the angled peninsula or that it's dictated by the design of the rest of the floor.

Primary Prep Zone is b/w the prep sink & range with a secondary Prep Zone b/w the refrigerator and prep sink
    Cooking Zone is better protected from through-traffic
    Prep & Cooking Zones are separated from the Cleanup Zone. This means no conflict at the sink nor competing for counterspace w/the dirty dishes.
    Peninsula is all one-level with a 15" overhang (there have been many threads discussing single- vs bi-level islands. The single-level wins in most cases. Raised counters only hide the kitchen from people sitting down and children under 42" tall.)
    If you need/want one, you could put a Coffee Center to the left of the cleanup sink
    Plenty of storage...both cabinet & pantry
    The refrigerator is on the periphery so people looking for a snack will not interfere with those working in the kitchen. At the same time, the refrigerator is easily accessed by those working in the kitchen...for both prepping and cleaning up (putting away leftovers). It's also not that far from the Cooking Zone.
    The 6- or 7-inch deep "niche" in the pantry wall could be a Message Center Niche...with a calendar, phone, sticky notes, pens/pencils, charging station, etc.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

And here's another option...

Layout #2:

• ddc5151
    Original Author
    13 years ago

chicagoans:

Thanks for showing me other ways I think I like the first one with all the plumbing on the right side (may save some money)

buehl:

Thank you also, I like a little about both of these. I like the pantry on the left. But I like the more to the center on the right side like the first picture. Kinda like where chicagoans put the ref. Dishwasher left or right of the sink doesn't matter to me I'll get use to it either way. Like where the trash pullout is. Also plan on having an ice maker so must find a place for that too. The Niche is a nice addition too.

Thank you all and keep them coming the more the merrier

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Do you have a layout of the first floor you can post? The best location for the refrigerator will actually be dependent on what rooms are where.

The big advantage of the pantry + range on the left is that the Prep & Cooking Zones are protected from through-traffic. Another big advantage is the separation of the Prep & Cooking Zones from the Cleanup Zones. If you like to prep facing people, this arrangement also allows you to do so at the peninsula.

About the refrigerator...if most of the traffic (from FR, outside, DR, bedrooms, etc.) is coming from the "top", then the refrigerator is better located at the "top" of the kitchen. This is to keep non-kitchen work traffic out of the primary zones and out from underfoot (kids as well as adults!) yet still give them access to the refrigerator.

OTOH, if most of the traffic is from the "bottom", then the refrigerator is most likely better placed on the "bottom".

Until we know more...layout of first floor and answers to the questions from the "Read Me" thread...we're just shooting in the dark with recommendations! Please give us more information.

• ddc5151
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is a link to first floor: DDC's building thread

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Sorry, Chicagoans, thought that was Buehl's post :)

I like the fridge on the same side as the range. Beuhl, in your first plan, what if you switch the fridge and microwave cabinet, and also switch the trash and the prep sink? Would that work?

• Buehl
    13 years ago

"...what if you switch the fridge and microwave cabinet..."

Not without either shortening the wall to no more than 24" or so or putting a 12" cabinet b/w it and the wall.

The bigger issue,though, is that if you put the refrigerator there you're drawing the non-work traffic into your Cooking Zone...something that should be avoided. Cooking Zones should be protected from traffic for safety reasons (safety for both cook & "pedestrian") as well as good working conditions. (Refrigerators are used much more than MWs.)

"...what if you...also switch the trash and the prep sink..."

Switching the trash & prep sink is an option...but it will move the sink even further from the range, put the sink in front of two visitors instead of one, and perhaps put too much space in the Prep Zone b/c you prep at the sink and then carry your prepped food to the range.

Believe it or not, you can have too much prep space b/w a sink and range!

In the case of ChicagoAns' DW location, when open it will block entry into the kitchen from the the "top" of the kitchen.

• fourkids4us
    13 years ago

I agree that it doesn't necessarily matter which side of the sink the DW is on - it really depends on what you are used to but I think you easily adjust. I grew up with the DW on the left side of the sink though I'm right handed (ironically both my parents are lefties, but the kids did the dishes!). As an adult, my DW has always been to the right b/c that is where the builder placed it. However, I still do the dishes at my parents' house when I'm there, and I don't find it inconvenient to have the DW on the left even though I'm no longer used to it. The important thing for me is that wherever the DW is, the cabinet for the heavy dishes be right above or very close by.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

I like the fridge location better in the second plan, but I don't think moving the pantry, will work with the home plan.

The fridge, opposite the peninsula, just seems like it would be blocking the flow through the kitchen, since this is the main access to the nook and great room. What do you think?

• Buehl
    13 years ago

The lower pantry wall could be just 44" instead of 60". It's still a usable size (and bigger than mine!)

Now that I see the layout of the first floor, I feel even strongly about protecting the Cooking Zone by having all traffic closer to the right side. With the pantry on the left, it will direct the traffic away from the range & Cooking Zone no matter what direction traffic is coming from.

• lisa_a
    13 years ago

Buehl's plan above and the first plan chicagoans posted above (Wed, Jan 26, 11 at 15:58) are very similar and both are well thought out. My personal preference, though, is the fridge placement in chicagoans' plan because I like to have all food storage close to each other - fewer steps when I'm prepping. Others prefer to have the fridge closer to the table so it's a shorter trip to grab last minute items. Which do you prefer?

The other thing to consider is whether the fridge will block light to the sink/DW area. Even a CD fridge will block some light from reaching the sink/DW corner. (My CD fridge makes the DR doorway/pantry corner darker than if light flowed unencumbered.) Your first floor plan looks quite open so this might not be an issue for you.

• ddc5151
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I like chicagoans plan with ref. in the corner with a broom area. I like the sink being more towards center on the right side. Probably replace Trash spot with ice maker. and use buehl's plan for the left side on the last plan. Buehls plan seems to chop up counter space on the right side. I won't need the prep sink so all plumbing will be on right side. Finding the Microwave space may interesting we'll see.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

The counter isn't really chopped up, it's to give you a Message/Command Center out of the middle of the kitchen so it doesn't spread to the rest of the kitchen counters...a place for phone, charging station, family calendar, notes to the rest of the family, school papers to be signed, etc.

If you don't want a Message Center, then you could eliminate it.

About the prep sink...may I suggest you rough in the plumbing anyway. I'm afraid that after you start crossing that aisle to reach the trash and the sink from the range (over & over again), you'll have major regrets!

My trash pullout is next to my cleanup sink across a 6' aisle from my cooktop and it's one of my biggest regrets! I would also have had big regrets if I had not put in a prep sink...6' is pretty far to carry dripping veggies or trash...

It's your kitchen, but I don't want you to end up with major regrets on both counts! [You could always put in an icemaker where the trash is next to the cleanup sink...]

Sponsored
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living