SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
prairiemoon2

Shopping for washer - 'alternative' detergent & hanging clothes?

We had a top loader for 25 yrs, no service calls, no issues, no smelly clothes, no mildew on the door, no vibrations, no nothing until it started leaking a few weeks ago....now we have to go to one of the new machines and I wish we didn't have to. Not that I'm against new, I'm against, new being marketed when they haven't got the thing to work right yet!

I just talked to a saleperson at an Appliance Store and he spent a half hour telling me that 75% of their service calls on the new machines are because people use too much soap or their water is too cold to dissolve the soap. So he recommends using half of what the manufacturers of detergents recommend and in New England where I live, washing in warm water instead of cold except in the warmest months of the year. I wonder why they couldn't make a machine that washes in cold water? Wouldn't that be en*ergy saving? I can certainly learn to use less soap if that takes away all the issues, but I still end up with a few.

First of all, I like to use 'alternative' detergent, which is ecologically responsible and non toxic to people. Something like Seventh Generation products. I see that they do sell an HE detergent, but wonder if anyone has any experience using something like that?

Secondly, every store we've talked to has said, and consumer reports has said that Maytag and Whirlpool are the top brands. The models available use a 'disk' technology and not an agitator. We are looking at top loaders because of back issues and not wanting to have to spend another $300. for a pedestal that will also cause more vibration. So, if we use the non agitator top loading machines, I am wondering about tangled and wrinkled clothes. I b*uy all 100% cotton clothes that I don't want to shrink, so I always hang my clothes on a line. We only use the dryer for sheets and towels etc. So, am I going to have a problem with clothes being so wrinkled and tangled that I can't just shake them out and hang them without having a horrid mess that I have to end up ironing everything. Has anyone had any experience using one of the new machines and hanging their clothes on a line?

Comments (14)