SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
auroraborelis

XP - Help with ceiling design between kitchen and great room

auroraborelis
11 years ago

Slightly off topic, but I would love advice from all of you regarding the design of how my kitchen meets the great room space in our new home.

We are about two months from breaking ground on our new home, and I'm suddenly feeling very anxious about every decision we have made thus far! This is probably completely normal, however I would love some feedback from all of you, and maybe a couple inspiration photos if you have any laying around that will help me see that it will all be okay.

The main issue is the ceiling height changes between the great room and our kitchen. Originally the plan was to have 10, ceiling in the kitchen and 12' in the great room, with either a tray ceiling or coffered ceiling in the great room going up to the kitchen so the kitchen would only be another 1, down from the lower part of the tray or coffered ceiling.

At some point along the way a room was added above the kitchen, and we asked the designer if this would change the ceiling height, and he assured us that it would not, it would still be 10'. Well, the plans were finished, finalized and sent off to the county for plan check, and somehow we never noticed that in the cross section he ceiling had been lowered to 9' to accommodate the room above. Our mistake for not noticing it earlier, his mistake for making the change without discussing it with us. However at this point it is what it is. I could insist that they change it to 10', but that may feel like too much in the kitchen as well.

So here are my questions:

- Does anyone have any images saved in your pinterest, houzz or other folders that can demonstrate to me how it will look to have the kitchen ceiling 'step down'. I just can't picture it.
- What would you do with the ceiling in the main room? Our style is contemporary to transitional. Crate and Barrel is probably the closest well known example I can come up with!
- Would you frame the end of the cabinets with a wall (as shown on the floor plan) or have the cabinet ends be open to the main room?
- Most of all, did anyone else start to panic about your floor plan choices during your build? :) Someone other than DH reassuring me that we made a good choice may help! :) ha

Inspiration:

This picture comes closest to what we are picturing, but it has the same ceiling height in both rooms.

Contemporary Family Room design by Atlanta Interior Designer Brian Watford ID

Comments (2)