SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swampwiz_gw

Optimal location of coolant pipes for heat pump (inside/outside)

swampwiz
14 years ago

For my new project, I am going to have a long run of coolant pipes, and am trying to figure out if it would be better to run the pipes outside or inside. I have the option of running the pipes either just under the peak of the roof (which is inside conditioned space as there is to be spray foam insulation in the rafters) or along the soffit (which is outside.)

(NOTE: I will use the cycle independent terminology of internal & external heat exchanger rather than evaporator and compressor.)

As I understand it, the heat pump coolant line system is set up as such:

- for cooling:

-- compressor -> reversing value -> external heat exchanger -> external expansion value (bypassed) -> (long run b/w heat exchangers) -> internal expansion valve -> internal heat exchanger -> (long run to/from compressor) -> reversing value -> compressor

- for heating: simply reverse the direction and bypass the internal expansion value instead of the external one

So with this in place, it seems that the relative benefits of inside vs. outside coolants lines are:

- cooling:

-- For the long run b/w heat exchangers, it would be much better to run outside as the coolant would be hot coming from the external heat exchanger, allowing for even more heat to be released, rather than having that heat being released on the inside

-- For the long run to the compressor, it would be marginally better to run inside as the coolant line would still have a little cooling left that has not totally been wrung out at the internal heat exchanger

- heating:

- For the long run b/w heat exchangers, it would be marginally better to run inside as the coolant line would still have a little heat left that has not been wrung out at the internal heat exchanger

- For the long run to the compressor, it would be much better to run the inside as the line would have be hot and heat would be released inside instead of being lost outside

So a particular location for a line would be much better or worse for one heat direction and marginally worse or better, respectively, in the other heat direction. Thus, the best course would be to use the location in which it would be much better for one of the directions, and just accept the marginal loss in the other.

- line b/w heat exchangers: outside

- line to/from the compressor: inside

I'm curious if this is done in practice for folks with long runs.

Any comments?

Comments (5)