SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellyp

Heating and AC not working optimally. Begging for help!

kellyp
8 years ago

Hi Wise Folks who understand this stuff!!

We moved into our custom home 2 years ago. The heating is radiant floor heat. We have a thermostat in each room and floor heating underneath site finished hardwood. The boiler is in the basement. We were told that this system is a "set it and forget it" system. But it is hardly so. The house is either too hot or too cold.

So we also have an AC system that we decided on late in the game. There are large units outside that power it and it goes through vents in the house. This system could also be used to heat the house (Although not all spaces have vents). The AC is turned to "fan only" mode in the winter and now as it's getting hot, I turn it to "cool at 23"...(Celsius).

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get our house to heat/cool properly with the aforedescribed systems. Now, in May, I've had to go around and turn all of the thermostats wayyyyyy down and the AC on to cool the house down below 25C. And still, the main family room is 25C without AC with the heat off. I didn't think I'd need to use AC in early spring....

Sorry for the long post. I just can't tell if I am just ignorant about these things or if there is a problem with our system....?

One other thing is that we had to retrofit a humidity control system into the house as our floors all warped due to insufficient humidity....Now we are awaiting all of the floors to get refinished. However, I'm waiting until we are certain the humidity is under control. Wherein lies another problem. The AC must run to keep the house cool. However, when it is running, the humidity comes out of the same vents like steam. Running a massive dehumidifier (Air conditioning system) at the same time as pumping humidity into the house....and I'm told this is my only solution....

Again, any suggestions or help would be infinitely appreciated!!!

Comments (7)