SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
armomto3boys

Radiant heating and regular heating/AC?....

armomto3boys
16 years ago

Hi we're just getting started (!!) and I have some questions I hope you can help me with.

We live in AR and are building a 2400 sq ft home with bonus room, 9ft ceilings. We are going with stained concrete throughout for now. Maybe we'll put carpet in the boys'bedrooms later. I'm trying to figure out how to have the radiant heating b/c I know I'll love having warm floors and the boys would be able to sit and play w/o getting cold.

But since we live in the south, we must have a/c, and for those crazy days that we always have where the weather can be cold one day and hot the next in the Spring and Fall, I really probably should have forced air heating as well.

What do you think the addtional cost would be for radiant heat if we layed the tubing ourselves? DH's best friend is a plumber and I know he'd help with anything we need. (He's actually the sub who'll do the phase 1 plumbing). I'm also wondering if it would be alright to lay the tubing now, but delay buying the boiler or heating source until later? Once it's operational, I have no doubt that we'd use it once cold weather set in. I just have to find out how much extra it would cost to see if it's a luxury I can work in.

What do you think? BTW, we are using a builder, but he's fantastic about letting us do what we want, in fact he's getting us "in the dry" and then he's giving us the #'s of all the other subs he uses. Plus we'll be doing all the finish type work ourselves (lighting and plumbing fixtures, mouldings, interior door hanging, etc)

Thank you in advance!

Comments (13)