SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
attofarad

2 stage A/C questions

attofarad
12 years ago

My most likely installer has quoted a Carrier system with options for either a 5 ton 24ABB compressor or a 5 ton 2-stage 24ANB760A003 compressor (for $950 more). In either case, I would be combining with a 120kBTU Carrier Infinity ICS 58MVC120F120, or maybe the 100kBTU version, Infinity controllers, etc.

How do 2-stage compressors work? Are they sorta like the furnaces, where they run a lower amps, BTUs and lower blower speed? I can't find specs in the A/C for output on low on the Carrier site, like that I can find for the furnace, or any description of system operation.

The system will be zoned, so I'm hoping to be able to cool only 1-2 zones while running on low A/C, and have the blower running at low speed to match.

I've lived in this house 22 years with no A/C and no huge need, but my new wife runs hot, and likes to work out. Since I'm doing a total furnace/duct tear out and relocate, it is now or never. Also, an extra 0.5% in overall house price to have A/C will maybe make it easier to sell, and cost be recouped.

Comments (5)