SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
awooff

Carrier 2-stage a/c

awooff
14 years ago

First of all I want to be clear that I also have a 2-stage carrier thermostat, also I know the difference from the thermostat calling for Hi vs. low.

My question is: after the a/c has not been used for maybe a few days or more, EVERYTIME the a/c is initially cycled on during a period of inactivity the compresser shuts off after about the first 4 minute run time with both (indoor and outdoor) fans running. After only a minute to 2 minutes of compressor downtime, a hard start is heard of the compressor. Ususally the unit buzzes loudly during the startup and continues with the external housing around the unit rattling.

Also, I notice this shut time occurs occasionally randomly during other times as well.

I want to be clear though, this is not followed by an increase to Hi-speed, unless the thermostat is calling for this, such as during very hot weather.

The model number is 38TDB0048300. I do have 10 years parts and labor; please advise if the above is normal or should I call for service?

I also want to say that the 2 speed unit has delivered unmatched comfort and humidity removal! My location is central Illinois.

Comments (2)