SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gazebo_dallas

Keep the 17 years old system or replace with new one?

gazebo_dallas
13 years ago

Hello,

I just moved into a one-level house in North Dallas.

the size is 2200 sqft, and was build in 1993.

I noticed the AC does not work very efficiently, when outside temperature is more than 95 degree, the AC worked very hard(endlessly) but could not lower the temperature than 84 degree during the afternoon. Other than that, it seems doing ok.

The AC is the original 17 years old Trane TTR048D, 4 ton, 10 SEER unit. The furnace is also the original one, no brand information.

I have called home warranty service to check the AC and refrigerant level is OK, but evaporator coil is extremely

dirt, seemed never been cleaned before, the technician said the dirty coil caused there is no enough "suction pressure"on the line. In addition, the old AC probably will only work in SEER 5 even after cleaning due to aging.

So now I have two options to choose

1) spend $170 to clean the evaporator coil and hope the AC and furnace can last another 2 or years before they totally die, OR

2) spend $7000 - $8000 to get new AC and furnace while federal tax credit still available.

What is better?

I am also thinking after tax credit expires probably the manufacturer and contractor will also lower their current inflated price a little.

Thanks for any comments.

Comments (3)