SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jterrilynn

What is your favorite MM size for a freshwater pearl necklace?

jterrilynn
11 years ago

It's all so confusing there are 5.5mm, 7.5mm, 8.0mm, 9.0mm sizes and more. How would you determine the size of pearl you want if you wanted something classic, not too tiny and not huge and you are 5' 4 and 1/2 " and average weight? I know the length I think but it is the MM I'm not sure of.

Comments (45)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

9 is not too big! 20 is a little ostentatious.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Bumble, what do you think of this? I would appreciate your opinion. There is a size and clasp option and the price is much less than other sites.

Here is a link that might be useful: pearls

• Related Discussions

Your favorite new daylily for hybridizing

Q

Comments (62)
    Hmm, rereading here too. I don't have a "favorite" for hybridizing - but I do have to say that I'm developing some preferences as far as flower form, height, etc. that will guide my breeding more this year. Last year I had a ball, dabbing all over the place. This year I will TRY to be a little more selective, and I've made a few purchases based on breeding potential as well as beauty. I don't have a single favorite breeder (although you all know how much fun I had with 'Ida Miles' last year, because she bloomed FOREVER and set pods like no tomorrow). Now I've got to winnow what I have in my yard down to what I really want to breed with, and plant the others at my friend Becky's house so they can clump up. (Maybe I'll teach her boys how to hybridize with them - that would be a GREAT home school unit, doncha think?) Laurel
    ...See More

Tell Us About Your Favorite Collection...

Q

Comments (130)
    This is a great thread. We all love what we collect and isn't it wonderful that most of us collect something different? I collect blue and white Staffordshire Transferware from England, early to mid 1800's. I have over 100 Cup Plates, a little more or less than 4" diameter. They were used as a coaster with the handless cups with bowl shape saucer of 6" from the 1820-1850 period. Often confused with a child's plate from a toy tea set. I also have many patterns of dinner ware pieces of a specific potter E. & G Phillips, Longport England. American butter stamps, butter churns and English cream pots with dairy names stamped or transfered on the pot and numerous other things too many to list. I am just addicted to antiques and collectibles. I also clean and repair and resale and upgrade my English china. So my life is a constant buy, clean, repair, resale, collect more upgrade..etc. I tell my husband I am recycling and being green! I love,love, love what I do. I cannot imagine not ever being able to buy and also resale to share my knowlegde. I also have an extensive library of reference books and love researching everything.
    ...See More

What size pearls in earrings?

Q

Comments (8)
    I don't think I've seen a teen girl wearing pearls in years.. I'd go for a semi precious. If she has a second hole she can wear them and her "dangly" ones. Pearls are something she'll like wear to "honor" the gift then tuck them in her jewelry box until she's "Grown". I see alot of girls wearing blue or purple "stones". Dangly earrings are in, and big hoops again.
    ...See More

Fashion friends: Would you wear a necklace with this dress?

Q

Comments (60)
    If this is still relevant, I just wanted to chime in and say that I'm delighted with your choice of dress – that color is absolutely beautiful! As for the necklace, I totally agree it's superfluous here, and those dangly earrings could be a perfect complement. The first option would be amazing for your image! I share your passion for jewelry, and I always find a reason to treat myself to a new piece. Speaking of which, I recently got a stunning Name Necklace Official, and I'm absolutely delighted with it. It's such a unique and exclusive item and it pairs perfectly with my favorite dress, which is definitely a plus!
    ...See More
  • graywings123
    11 years ago

My fav pearls are the irregularly shaped Biwa pearls, which are small, about 5 MM, I would guess.

Did anyone else read the title of this thread and think of M&Ms?

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One of my boys wants to buy a gift for a special someone and wanted some advice. However, I wear vintage pins and am not up to scratch on pearls. My friends are into gold and diamonds so they were no help. The link I posted was pretty informative but I had no idea (this is for you gray lol) of the M&M's size. The gal is a few years older than son and I think close to finishing her masters. She is into feminine classics and I think the white would look so pretty on her dark skin. She likes quality things but as son is on a budget the higher rated AAA or AAAA freshwater is probably his best bet. He was thinking a 20" length. So, any info is good for me to pass on.

• neetsiepie
    11 years ago

7-9mm is probably best. 20" may be a little long, especially if she's on the petite side. 18" might be better, as a 20" might fall too low near her cleavage. If she wears it with a sweater, it'd be ok, but any blouse that is open necked would be lost at 20"

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks pesky, I have emailed son this link and suggested the AAAA rated freshwater pearl necklace 18" and the upgraded clasp. It comes to $227 all in. I think this seems nice???

Here is a link that might be useful: pearl necklace

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

I like the safety clasp in yellow gold because it's the most traditional and will hold securely over time. Twenty inches is too long if she has a thin to average neck. She can always buy an extender if she wants to wear them longer. I believe the standard length is 16". She can also buy a pearl shortener if she wants to wear the pearls as a choker. Eight mm is a nice size. Not too small, not too big.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

If I might say, pearls are a little out right now. I say this as an unabashed devotee. I have a lot but pretty much only wear my grey Tahitians.

A suggestion? Pearl studs. I still see those. And that way he can get better quality. Mikiimoto has the best name.

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

Mtnrdredux is right about pearls being a little out right now. The focus has shifted from the regular strand of white pearls to pearls with color. My jeweler has a large display of South Sea pearls which come in various shades of black, grey, blue, gold, champagne and white. The other trend is to mix pearls with other stones.

As for length 16" is considered a choker, 18" is a princess and probably the most common length. But it is easy to have a jeweler remove a pearl or two if the necklace hits the cleavage. I love pearls and still wear them but I have to admit that I wear my champagne South Sea pearls the most.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Mtnrdredux, Marie and Chickadee! Well this last bit of info should thoroughly confuse him on what to buy (it did me). Personally I would not care whether or not something was in or out, my thinking is that if it's out it means the price is not so inflated. Also, if pearl necklaces are out now it is just a matter of time before they are in again. However, I think my son will care a great deal. Nicer quality earnings might be the answer. I will pass this on.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Mtn & Maire are certainly in the know about such matters, so there you have it...trend alert! (I was completely in the dark.)
    I hear what you are saying, Jterri, about not giving a hoop about "in" or "out" for yourself, but wanting to respect the younger lady's interest in being current. You want to help your son give a gift that will charm & delight the recipient. (Nice of you to assist!). Has she expressed an interest in pearl necklaces?

Btw, The First Lady didn't get the "pearls are out" memo!

Here is a link that might be useful: She wants a pearl necklace!

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Stinky!!! Wow that does look very elegant. I think the white against dark skin is particularly elegant. I'm not sure I am being much help to son especially since white is out now. To me the classics always look best but one does have to try and think hip while considering twenty something's.

Are the gold colored south sea studs cool, fly or whatever? The gold ones are real pretty I think. The grey would not show up as much. Shame about his budget, the earring set with a very slight drop is so nice looking and look so much easier to put on.
    I am looking forward to your take on this because this is about as far as I'm going on assistance. He wants to get something that says I care for special you very much without buying the "ring". They have been together for a few years.

• camlan
    11 years ago

Pearls are a classic. Well, maybe I am just saying that because they are my favorite gemstone. I see white pearls as something that you can wear at any time, but there are times when they are more in fashion than others. Sort of like toile--it's always there, but it has surges of popularity.

The thing about the colored pearls is that most of them will be out of style in a few years. That would be my key question in this purchase--is he going for something cool and now and stylish, or something classic that she can wear forever?

I'll admit that the single strand of white pearls tends to read as classic and a bit conservative right now. Trendier looks are the colored pearls (although gray pearls are also a classic), smaller pearls in multiple stands and baroque pearls--pearls with irregular shapes--and pearls set on chains instead of strung right next to each other. The link below has some examples.

Here is a link that might be useful: some other pearl styles

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you camlan!

If one wanted to stay "classic" and had a limited budget would this be a good bang for the buck? They are 8 mm and $279. Even this price is stretching it. Personally I find studs annoying to put on and like things with a slight swing to them. But what would a 26 yr old soon to be professional like? I just haven't a clue!I am thinking the earring would be a safer buy now that you mention it. You have a choice of Freshwater pearl colors; this one is the white although it is not showing that way.

Product Information Freshwater
    Origin China
    Shape Round
    Quality Pearl - AAAA
    14K Gold - 1.00 Grams
    Size Choose Your Size
    Nacre Very Thick
    Color Choose Your Color
    Lustre Very High
    Dimensions Height Approx. 1 Inch

Here is a link that might be useful: Good prices???

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry for the BIG picture!

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Camlan, that link offers some beautiful necklaces at very reasonable prices.

I wear a white gold chain with a creamy oval pearl drop quite often. I can't wear it without getting compliments on it. Maybe because it *is* simple, unfussy & classic? Simple can be refreshing in a sea of embellishment.

Wish I could help with what is on trend for young ladies. Surely someone will know...Bumblebeez?

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

I was typing when you were typing, JT! Oooh, those are gorgeous earrings! So feminine & lovely, & I would think appropriate for ladies in their twenties and beyond.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

"...would this be a good bang for the buck?" I've now looked at some other websites for pearl drop earrings, and while I do see lower prices for a similar sized pearl, I don't like ANY one of them nearly as much as the ones you selected!

Others don't look as substantial or as nice or are too embellished or something else is not quite right about them. Yes, think you have found the prettiest pearl drop earrings ever, Jterri!

I love the way yours attach to the ear. Looks very user friendly & very substantial & nicely crafted.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Stinky! Well that's it then it is now up to him. The only reason I spent this amount of time is because if he is anything like his father he will go out and by any ole thing with a pearl on it. Even though his budget is low I want him to get in the habit of getting the best he can afford in budget. Of course this is tricky when you do not know what the heck you are doing so I hope I am not giving bad advice.
    I just sent him the text and told him to suck it up! In my opinion he has acted like a bit of a cad this past year and needs to learn to pay the price and buy his gal something nice. I am sure his idea of nice pearls was not in this price range and probably much much lower. We will see it is out of my hands. I do think she would be thrilled with the earrings and probably cry and everything.

• hhireno
    11 years ago

My only concern with the earrings is they may come in a small, RING sized box. If she is thinking ring and opens a box that is that size but not a ring, she may be disappointed.

Years ago a male friend bought sapphire earrings for his girlfriend. She saw the ring-sized box and thought it was going to be an engagement ring. She was very disappointed although she tried not to show it. The next year when he did surprise her with an engagement ring, he also bought all the other stuff he would normally get her so that his Mom, who did his wrapping, wouldn't suspect anything. He kept it a surprise from all of us. It made for a very expensive Xmas for him that year!

I guess my long-winded advice is to be sure the box doesn't look anything like a ring box.

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Jiminy crickets! That's great advice, Hhireno! You've sure got your thinking cap on. (Don't you love those earrings though?).

• hhireno
    11 years ago

Yes, I do love those earrings. I would be happy to receive them. But I'm 50, not 20 and I have NO idea what the kids these days like or dislike.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Goodness hhireno that is good advice. I'm thinking she would probably keel over with shock just seeing a ring size box. I never thought of it before but ring sized boxes could be hazardous to your health. She is such a sweet girl I do hope he gets her something nice.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

The 50 vs 20 thing is what I am trying to allude to.

Again, i love pearls and I have several white strands, a white bracelet, and several paris of white earrings. I always thought they were timeless, like a white kitchen, LOL. They are not. I really don't see them only young women anymore, either in person or in fashion shoots, etc. And I only wear my Tahitian stuff. I feel like Barbara Bush in the other stuff.

If for some reason he is set on pearls, I have seen some women wear just plain white pearl studs. But a strand, no.

I would further suggest that he ask a female friend or relative who is close in age for advice, especially as this is a meaningful sum and he would hate to waste it, no?

• chickadee2_gw
    11 years ago

Good catch, hhireno! They probably will come in one of those little hard flip top boxes. That would sure put a damper on the earrings if she anticipated a ring by the size of the box.

I wouldn't worry about trends with a strand of white pearls. They're timeless.

• bonnieann925
    11 years ago

Jewelry is a difficult gift choice unless your son was given some suggestions by the recipient :-) I have three grown professional daughters, two of whom wear pearl strands (we have regularly bought them for them on our travels), and the other wears pearl earrings. They are in the business world and are in conservative firms. A great stand of pearls or pearl earrings is always appropriate for business professional attire. While some may consider them to be "out" for social occasions (I do not), the business world is another story.

What field is your DS's special friend going into with her new degree? That could be a deciding factor.

The earrings are lovely, but my DD's wear only white gold...again, which is either a current trend or simply their preference. Just my .02 cents worth.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

One nice way to update the Barbara Bush look (when I think of double strand chokers she is the icon), is to wear them with another necklace or two. Multiple necklaces is very popular and youthful.
    I have a nice strand but rarely wear them as they seem too uptight for my style. But I rarely get dressed up either.

• neetsiepie
    11 years ago

I got rid of my wedding rings and virtually everything else my ex-husband had given me, but I kept the strand of pearls he gave me for our 1st wedding anniversary. I still wear them occasionally, but usually when I mix them up with other necklaces.

I second the ring size box thing. My DD's former fiance stopped by on Christmas Eve to show me what he'd bought DD...it was that ring size box and my heart started racing...he kept saying "I hope she'll like it" and then opened the box to show a pair of diamond studs. I was a little let down, and warned him to put them in a different sized box, then I went and found a larger box with padding that he could put them in. If it was a let down to ME, imagine how it would have felt to DD? Next year on her birthday he DID give her a ring, but they ended up not marrying. Was just as well, but in any event...NEVER give a rings sized box if it's not a ring!!

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I prefer white gold as well although I have both. To me white gold and white pearls look prettiest if you have dark hair or dark skin or both. But that is not to say that all can not look good in either.

Looked in fashion magazines and only saw one pearl necklace, they were black pearls with a hideous chunky turquoise clasp thingy. That piece was absolutely revolting. I only saw one set of pearl earrings and they were long gold ovals with little attached pearls close to the ear part. I did see many pearl multi strand bracelets with either seeded pearls or small pearls. Bracelet! Another idea!

My sons girlfriend's goal is to become an English professor (hey, free help for me). Right now she and my son are in mid management. Girlfriend is named after a state so I will refer to her as "State".

I have never seen State wear large jewelry of any kind, no big trendy earrings or big trendy necklaces. Her earrings and necklaces are always modest in size. She likes watches and has many. Her dressy attire seems to include a lot of creams, blacks, lace and fitted. State once wore a red dress and it seemed not right for her. She dresses classic with an edge and wears sexy shoes. State is around five or six years older than son. She is very smart with little understanding of money management. Son is a very smart and a worrier of finances and keeping a budget. They balance each other out.

I hope this all made a little sense as I am exhausted...glass shower doors came today, counter templet, new car shopping, and on and on. I can hardly see right now. Stupid dead car!

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well bracelets are out because the ones in his price range look just so so. I know she would like this one.
    9-10mm Tahitian South Sea Pearl Tincup Bracelet 14k white gold or yellow gold. This is $699 and will never happen.

Or this 9-10mm Golden South Sea Pearl Tincup Bracelet 14k $899 that will never happen

Either one would look great teamed with one of her cool watches. This sucks!

• work_in_progress_08
    11 years ago

Have to disagree about pearls NOT being timeless. Yes, there are many newer color and style pearl options, but the white pearl necklace is a timeless piece.

JMHO

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Those are sweet, pretty little bracelets, JT, but I'd never have guessed they were that pricey...

Btw, you sound like you have a LOT on your plate right now. Hope you're taking a little bit of a break today.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Work and Stinky!

Stinky no rest for me today in a minute I am going to start sanding a wall to ready for paint. I wish I had people!

I sent son the earrings and the necklace info below and he can decide. Since the necklace is $52 cheaper I think I know what the lad will do. In his price range this is about the best he can manage. I think "State" (see explanation above) will be thrilled with either one. She may not wear them often at the moment but they will be nice for her future interviews and many other occasions. By the time white pearls become an absolute must have again in future "trends" she will at least have half way decent ones before an inflated price shoots up to match the demand. The boy just cannot swing a couple of grand right now for top notch.

7-8mm White Freshwater Pearl Necklace - AAAA Quality 18" 14k clasp
    Shape Round
    Quality AAAA
    Size 7-8mm
    Nacre Very Thick
    Color White
    Lustre Very High

Or these in 14k white gold

• Sueb20
    11 years ago

I know the age and circumstances are different but I'll just share the advice I gave my 17 yo DS who will soon go shopping for a gift for his girlfriend: ask her best friend for advice! He won't let me go shopping with him, so I said take the BFF with you to pick out something, or at least consult with her first. I think that's the best resource!

• stinky-gardener
    11 years ago

Sue's advice is good too-consult the BFF.

Gosh, I just love the necklace and those earrings! I usually wear white gold or silver, so the white gold would be what I'd want! Gorgeous selections, JT, & I agree that for interviews & a professional work environment, either would be ideal.

(Btw...once you've sanded, primed, & painted...post a pic! )

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Sue! I will certainly pass that on to my son.

Stinky, no way I am posting pictures of the mess around here. We have a partly finished bathroom where I glazed two very nice CL vanities. I got all the old stuff out of the game room, it's now half way to a spare bedroom where it will live until the dreaded garage sale (said I would never have another). I have several doors to paint and walls, pressure cleaning, fascia repair and endless spiffing to get my house on the market for season. There is no way I will make the January first date though. I was hoping to have a few realtor interviews under my belt by now as I need to decide if I am going to do a flat fee listing or other. I have no idea how I managed all this work (I am the laborer) every two years while the kids were young. I did breakdown and hire two high schools to weed-out the secret garden in back though. Can you tell I'm a bit overwhelmed?

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Think I will throw in these $275 South Sea's gold 8 mm AAA studs for consideration. Since there are mixed views feel free to chime in on the necklace, white pearl earrings or south sea gold studs. There is a brief description of the gal at 21:47

• User
    11 years ago

Hi Jterrilyn - don't know if you shop on Hautelook.com or not but they are having a sale on pearls today. They are going quickly so you might want to check it out - they range from very expensive to very moderately priced. They have lots of different colors too so your son might find something different there.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you gail, I do shop there so I will have a look.

• User
    11 years ago

Oops - wasn't sure you would see this so I started another thread! Didn't want you to miss it since stuff goes so fast on Hautelook.

• jterrilynn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Gail, I just caught son before he left for work and he bought some earrings.

• maire_cate
    11 years ago

Earrings are probably the safest choice - I have several pairs and wear them often - pearl studs, teardrop shaped hanging pearl earrings and a dressier pair with diamonds and pearls. My 29 year old DD wears a pair that are similar to the ones your posted - in white gold of course.

Yesterday I had lunch with some girlfriends and because of this post I decided to wear a strand of rose colored pearls. As Mtn mentioned - there is an age factor - I'm 60 and have no problem wearing my pearls nor do my friends. We all attended a memorial service last month and there were several women "of a certain age" wearing pearls and they looked perfectly lovely.

• daisyinga
    11 years ago

My daughter is 20 years old and loves, loves, loves pearls. But not white pearls. She likes the gray ones. She would not wear yellow gold. I don't ever see any young women wearing yellow gold, which I love. They all wear white gold or silver.

• User
    11 years ago

Great! They had some very pretty stuff. I was tempted to buy something myself.

• theroselvr
    11 years ago

The gray pearls were pretty; so were the pink ones. I'm normally not a pearl person but would wear either if I went out.

Your son is very lucky to have you helping; hopefully she appreciates it. My son's ex-GF did not. She didn't care what he got her as long as he picked it himself.