SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluehorizon_gw

Miele Refusing to Honor Warranty on Washer 4840

bluehorizon
16 years ago

Three months ago I bought the newly released Miele washer W 4840 and dryer T 9800. Because of the Gardenweb threads here concerned with loud dryer noise and the fact that these appliances were new models in the US, the store I was buying them from called Miele to make sure Miele would offer a 90-day return policy. This Miele guarantee is stated on my invoice: "miele 90 day return policy in effect".

One month ago I had a problem with the washer, and then a few weeks later the washer got stuck at 14 minutes. I went upstairs and came back an hour later and it was still working away at the 14-minute mark. Service offered to come and rectify the problem by installing a new control panel, but I decided to exercise the 90 day return policy rather than be stuck with a lemon appliance costing almost $2000 that I would constantly have to worry about. It could even be a potential fire hazard if it had kept running at 14 minutes "forever" and I had left home for the weekend.

I went back to the store and told them my story. They called Miele and Miele agreed to take it back, since it was within 90 days. Paperwork was faxed back and forth; I left the store a pleased customer.

But the next day, Miele called back to refuse to honor the buy back since I had failed to mail in my warranty card. I pointed out that this was not a legal reason to void a warranty. Miele called back and said that might be true for regular warranties, but this was a condition of MieleÂs special "90 day return policy". Miele is standing behind this as their excuse for not taking back my brand new Miele washer W4840, defective or not.

The store has continued to try and resolve this with Miele, pointing out to Miele that I had been a high-end user of Miele appliances of all sorts for years. Why would they hurt their brand like this? What is to be gained by refusing to honor the clear perception implied by: "miele 90 day return policy in effect"?

As of today, I still have no resolution of this problem with Miele. If I hadnÂt saved my old washer, I would have had no washing machine for two weeks now. I feel inclined to send back my Miele dryer too at this point and boycott all Miele appliances, from vacuum to laundry to kitchen. All the great design and product engineering in the world wonÂt save a company when they start treating customers like this. I canÂt believe it.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments (15)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH