SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caroleohio

Shannon - post for you re: DD

CaroleOH
13 years ago

Hi Shannon,

I just read your post under the Christmas thread about dealing with DD's school issues etc. It made me want to share something that has recently happened within my own family.

My middle son has gotten himself into some trouble with drugs - and as a result, we've enrolled him in a drug intervention program. It's basically a group counseling session 3 nights a week for 6 weeks. One of the nights is family night and family members attend and participate in the sessions.

I know your daughter isn't into drugs, but they have these group counseling sessions for all different kinds of issues - I'm sure dealing with teen issues is a common group. Attending these sessions with my son has really opened up my mind to group counseling. He is actually doing really well with the group and having a peer group of people that are not all exactly in the same boat - most are way worse off with their issues, but it helps him to be able to talk with a group that doesn't know him, doesn't have any expectations of him and isn't judging. I have felt such a sense of peace in attending these sessions with him. I feel like they really have helped him and me alot! And I say this never having ever gone to counseling, never really thought it was worth the time or money or both!

So, I'm just sharing this with you because I think my son would have benefited from group counseling years ago when he was having some struggles in his early teen years. Your daughter is obviously struggling with something that's affecting her socially and academically. Going to a group where she is with other teens dealing with similar issues and talking about it without a parent is very liberating and cathartic. They probably would have a similar situation as my son's group where one session a week is with parents, and it's been great to hear how other parents are dealing with issues, stress etc.

Anyways, just thought I'd share since I know some posters had suggested counseling, but since we've now experienced it first hand, I just wanted to throw it out there again for consideration. Our insurance is actually covering the costs and I think we have a small co-pay, but definitely not a budget breaker.

Comments (7)