SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cat_mom

souffles and convection; need help by Saturday afternoon

cat_mom
16 years ago

Help! I'm planning to make chocolate souffle on Saturday (Julia Child's recipe from The Way to Cook which I've made before and it's super-yummy, but haven't made it in forever, or from one of the other recipes I've found).

If I want to prepare the recipe earlier in the day, or even the day before, and then refrigerate 'til ready to bake (taking it out of fridge to "warm up" before baking), should I prepare the base w/out the egg whites, refrigerate it, and then fold in the egg whites just before filling souffle dish(es) and then baking, or should I mix everything together, fill the dish(es), and then refrigerate the filled dish(es)? From what I've read/been told, either or both are ok, but will either way give good (or better than the other) results?

Also, when I last made souffle, I baked it in my old Caloric gas oven, regular bake (that's all it had). Now, I have an all gas Wolf range with a convection fan. I've read that it's ok to use convection to bake souffles and also that it's not good to use convection--huh? Which would is correct, convection fan or NO convection fan?

I've also read that the souffle dishe(s) should be placed in the center of the oven and not on a lower rack, and yet other recipes/articles suggest that it should be baked in the lower part of the oven.

So, to recap my questions:

1) prepare base minus egg whites ahead of time or base including egg whites ahead of time?

2) convection fan baking or regular bake? If convection baking any temp/time adjustment necessary?

3) center rack or lower rack?

TIA!!!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022