SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vacuumfreak

made first successful biscuits!

vacuumfreak
14 years ago

I have never been able to make biscuits before. Every time I've tried, I've gotten bricks instead. Well, I had a friend over and he wanted to impress me by making buttermilk biscuits and sausage gravy. He said his grandmother taught him how to make buttermilk biscuits. When I saw is method, I had only one thought, "This can't end well!" He mixed the flour with salt and baking powder with his hands and then added buttermilk. Patted the whole mess out and cut them into squares. Put them on a cookie sheet and then sliced a pat of butter off and put it on top of each one (wasted a whole stick of my butter!!!). As I expected, these things were something that would have cracked teeth. Very dense...

I quick googled a recipe and found one that I was brave enough to attempt. I hope I didn't offend my friend... but I wore braces for four years... too much invested to have my teeth fall out just to save somoene's feelings! I didn't throw his in the trash until after he left! I was already a little nervous, because just the day before I made a carrot cake in a bundt pan and nearly had to blast it out with dynamite (let it cool too long...), I wasn't sure if the curse had been lifted from my kitchen enough that I should try biscuits. My favorite thing about this recipe is that it uses the food processor... any excuse to use an appliance, I'm there. It also told me not to roll the dough with a rolling pin because that overstimulates the gluten. I followed it exactly, and the biscuits came out perfectly! They tasted great, were a nice tender texture, browned perfectly, and made an awesome thing for the sausage gravy to cover. The gravy was good, but how could anything with a half cup of bacon grease in it not be good?

Here's a link to the recipe I used. It feels good to have something that I've always failed at turn out right! Any of you ever have similar experiences?

Here is a link that might be useful: My new favorite biscuit recipe!

Comments (14)