SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ituzzip

My first success in rose propagation!

pizzuti
12 years ago

After a summer of lots of failures... I THINK I have something that looks like its working.

First, one cutting began to grow roots inside an enormous glass jar that was originally intended to house orchids. I could clearly see 4 inch roots clinging to the glass on the bottom, through a mixture of peat, perlite and sphagnum. I lifted the cutting, put it in a pot with soil (lost about half the length of the roots; they were "stuck" to the glass) and put it in a small container, under fluorescent lights. Now new roots are clearly visible peeking out the holes, so it's growing. New leaves are just starting to emerge.

In the mean time, I think I might have gotten another technique to work with a decent success rate:

I start by keeping the cuttings in plain old water. That way I can put them in very intense light without any wilting. All my cuttings in water successfully calloused but never formed any roots to speak of, and after a couple months they'd die. Once calloused, they begin functioning as their own self-contained "plant" rather than just a piece of a plant.

In water, the callous would just get bigger and bigger and bigger without forming roots - and the cutting would eventually die. But a fat-stemmed, calloused cutting is still a pretty good start.

So, I take it out of the water, dip it in rooting hormone, and put it straight into soil in a container on the windowsill.

I set the container into a cup full of water, and fill the cup part way so that the water level is right at the place where the base of the cutting is. I figure, if it was completely submerged before, it can deal with that now for a short period of time. BUT as the water evaporates down, I don't re-fill it, and instead just keep the soil moist after that.

No visible roots yet, but the leaves are showing no signs of wilting, yellowing or falling off, which is unlike any other cuttings I've had (they all lost leaves). And the cutting i s not covered, so either the callous has a decent ability to absorb water despite the fact that it is not a root, or it is quickly turning from callous to roots.

I'm not sure what's next, but hopefully it will continue growing in the windowsill and come spring I'll be able to plant something that has roots by then.

Comments (4)