Houzz Logo Print
matt499

Lots of Furnace Qs. Need advice

Matt499
9 years ago

Hi There,

I have been scouring the forum but can not find answers :(

The situation:

My house has the original furnace (40 yrs old) and the first question is, if I should replace it....

The difficulties are that I can not easily upgrade the ducts as they run through the walls and floor and (to me) seem very hard and costly to replace...

That brings us to the first question: Do I need larger ducts if I get a HE furnace? I read that I need larger ones as the old ones are too small and will not let enough air through or start whistling ...

I had a contractor come in (from a Costco promotion) and they essentially said any furnace will just fit and there is nothing to worry about.... This seems doubtful after reading on this forum. No load calculation was done or ducts measured or anything like that.

I dont want to end up with a furnace that doesnt work well or needs another several thousands in ducting ..

On the other hand, I dont want to wait until my old furnace dies at a really bad time and I need rush a new one in ...

Also where I am not sure is if I should eve get a new furnace ... I dont need much heat and I dont think it will pay for itself very quickly.

BUT

from what I was told is that the heat exchangers in older furnaces eventually crack and then CO leaks in the house ... I have the furnace annually inspected, is that enough or do they usually crack at once and become a death trap?

Also if possible looking for trustworthy contractors in greater vancouver

:) Matt

Comments (55)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH