SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cbintcliffe

Replace oven or wait until remodel

Chris
10 years ago

Hi!

First time posting in the Kitchen forums but been elsewhere on Gardenweb for a while.

I moved into a spec house 2.5 years ago - love the house but would have re-jigged the kitchen a bit given the opportunity. There was certainly nothing wrong with the kitchen and it was a vast improvement from the house we were living in previously so the wish to have a bigger range was ignored since the rest of the house ticked all the boxes for us.
My main issue is my oven; it's a 30" Gas GE (JGB640SEFSS) and it's terrible for baking (okay for roasting). The range top is also too small for me - I frequently run out of space on it.

I spend a lot of time cooking both during the week and at weekends (bulk cooking to put in the freezer for when I'm busy) as well as entertaining (probably 4-6 times a year for 20-30 people at a time and at least once a month for 6-8). I frequently end up using my grill outside whilst having 4 things on the burners and running between the two - not ideal.

I'd really like to replace the oven with something better but my kitchen is laid out for a 30" range. I'd really like to remodel the kitchen but that's a couple of years away from being a reality for me so my question is should I replace the oven (bearing in mind I'm limited to 30") or just suck up not being able to bake well for a couple of years and stick it out until I can re-jig the whole kitchen (I would almost certainly put in a 36" rangetop or larger with double wall ovens or a 48" or larger range that was dual fuel).

An upgraded 30" range would allow me to get an oven capable of baking but is still going to be quite an investment and doesn't get over the space issues I have with only 4 burners. I also have an over range microwave at the moment which may need to be moved to accommodate a decent hood.

To be honest I'm at a bit of a dilemma and would appreciate others thoughts. I'm frustrated that I can't bake as the temperature variation in the oven is marked (I've had particular issue with cookies) and my 2.5 yr old is interested in cooking and baking is perfect to involve him in, but also don't want to throw money at a solution that still won't be ideal (limited to 4/5 burners and the 5 burners I've seen still won't alleviate the space issues I have when cooking with larger skillets or pots).

I've attached a photo to give an idea.

Thanks in advance (and sorry for the long drawn out post)!

This post was edited by cbink on Wed, Jan 29, 14 at 14:29

Comments (13)