SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rsramirez_gw

Dead 24 in gas oven; Replace or upgrade to 30? ideas?

rsramirez
14 years ago

Hi,

Got an old 24" gas tappan double wall oven that needs replacing. I'd like to get some people to weigh in on some ideas I have and/or give other suggestions.

Option 1: Budget replacement with Frigidaire, GE, Maytag.

- I'm not too fond of the availability of 24" SS double ovens, but these won't break the bank.

Option 2: Replace with single 24" Bluestar, American or Delonghi. Use extra space for microwave.

- I like reclaiming the space that my microwave takes on the counter. We really don't roast or bake in bulk quantities at one time to justify a double oven, though I'd love one.

Option 3: Buy an inexpensive replacement 24" oven (I saw some on Craigslist), in order to save and upgrade to a 30" in maybe 3-5 years.

- We weren't planning on doing a full kitchen remodel any time soon, possibly just painting or refacing the cabinets. I don't know if a 24" space can be expanded to accommodate 30" without trashing the entire cabinetry.

Thoughts on the above options? Other options?

Would waiting to upgrade to 30" really help house resale? We're just starting a family, so 24" has been fine for now, but with an expanding family, I'm thinking 30" may be worth the wait?

Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)