SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dajmsd

48 gas range and 30 induction cooktop

dajmsd
4 years ago

We are building a new home with a large kitchen (24 by 16). We have a large family and entertain often. I am toying with a 48 gas wolf range with both griddle and grill (4 burners) and a 30 inch wild induction cooktop beside. There would also be a steam wall oven and a wall oven.
Wondering if I should do 2 hoods with a cover or 1 extra large hood (is that possible?) or a strong hood over the gas range have that pulls from the induction? Any thoughts much appreciated.

Comments (19)

• GreenDesigns
    4 years ago

Complete overkill even if you’re trying to feed 40. 2 induction tops will be more than sufficient and give you everything g you need rather than spending 50K on cooking and venting.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

A 48 inch range suits a RESTAURANT in NYC serving 200 per evening. Skip the induction. Yes, they're great.....but so is 48 inches of cooking surface.

Frankly? Go look at GE Monogram for the 48. Beats a Wolf by a country mile. It is simply a fabulous machine with nearly zero repair issues. Stick to 6 burners. The grill is a pain to clean on any of these.............go outside and grill.

Features Include

• Authentic Professional appearance Stainless steel with smoothly finished edges, large electronic control knobs and heavy duty handles
    • Sealed, dual-flame stacked burners Deliver a full spectrum of heat settings, from an ultra-low 140 F simmer to an intense 18,000 BTU
    • Largest all-gas professional oven capacity available in the 48" professional gas range category Caterers oven uniquely sized to accommodate three full-sized sheet trays. Everyday oven is just the right size for 9" x 13" sheet trays
    • Monogram Professional dual-burner bake system Combines Reverse-Air convection technology with an infrared broil and gas burner to provide superb baking results, with fast preheating
    • Infrared broil burner Produces intense heat needed to sear meats to lock in juices and is thermostatically controlled to provide top browning when baking or convection baking
    • Heavy-duty oven racks Glide smoothly in and out on stainless steel ball bearings for easy access, and are designed to remain in the oven during the self-clean cycle
    • LED task lights Below the bullnose, provide a functional and theatrical touch

Specs
    • Cooktop Burner Type 6 Sealed, Dual Flame Stacked
    • Indicator Lights Burner "On"
    • Oven Rack Features 3 Self-Clean Oven Racks (Caterer Oven), 2 Self-Clean Oven Racks (Everyday Oven). 5 Rack Positions (Caterer Oven). 4 Rack Positions (Everyday Oven). 2 Full Extension Racks
    • Interior Oven Light 6 Halogen Lamps (Caterer Oven). 3 Halogen Lamps (Everyday Oven)
    • Fuel Type All-Gas (Natural gas)
    • Oven Cleaning Type Self-Clean (Both Ovens)
    • Lighting LED Bullnose Task Lighting
    • 140 Deg. Simmer Burner All Burners - Adjustable
    • Stainless Steel Grill / Griddle Covers 1
    • Cooking System Reverse Air Convection
    • Cooking Technology Convection
    • Configuration 6 Burners; Griddle
    • Control Type Digital Temperature Display. with Timer Display (Both Ovens)
    • Oven Control Features Delay Clean Option (Both Ovens). Automatic Oven Meat Probe (Both Ovens). Certified Sabbath Mode. Proof Mode (Both Ovens)
    • Oven Cooking Modes Convection Bake (Both Ovens). Convection Roast (Both Ovens). Bake (Both Ovens). Broil (Both Ovens)
    • Cooktop Burner Grate Features Continuous Grates. Porcelainized Cast Iron 3-Piece Reversible (Flat/Wok) Grates
    • Convection Roasting Rack Yes
    • Broiler Pan and Grid 2
    • Cooktop Surface Porcelain-Enamel
    • Removable Drip Tray Liners (1) Beneath Griddle
    • Ignition System Electronic w/Auto Reignition
    • Self-Clean Oven Door Lock Automatic
    • Cleaning Time Variable (Both Ovens)
    • Griddle 18,000-BTU. Thermostatically Controlled. Stainless Steel and Aluminum Clad

Approximate Dimensions (inches)
    • Height : 35 1/4
    • Width : 47 7/8
    • Depth : 28 1/4
  • Related Discussions

Recs for 36" gas range or induction cooktop w/ 1 oven? on budget

Q

Comments (9)
    Thank you both so much for your suggestions. I am feeling like I am really leaning toward induction, but I am disappointed as I just read rave reviews on Elux ovens, but awful reviews on their cooktops, and vice versa for Bosch. If I could install a Elux oven under the Bosch cooktop I think Id be very happy, but Im not sure if that can be done. I don't want anyone voiding my warranties because we mixed appliance brands. I could possibly put my oven in my island? Glad to see I have an option to get a very professional gas range if I go that route. I'm not sure yet what the discrepancy is regarding the size of the hood. Would a 20" pass inspection and adequately remove grease & odors or not? If it would, don't know why I'd need bigger? But if it wouldn't, think I better look for more affordable range, if I go that route. What type of hood would I need for an induction cooktop? I believe the requirements are lower? Induction sounds like it would fit me best, especially since I've never used gas I think maybe I just don't know what I'm missing. But I have to figure out how to get a decent oven in an acceptable space.
    ...See More

All-gas vs. dual-fuel vs. induction - 30" range

Q

Comments (28)
    So I'll update this, as we still haven't made a decision. Induction: I bought an induction burner and like it, although it isn't as life-changing as I sort of expected. (I realize the power is much lower than a range or cooktop would be.) We also had an electrician examine our house, and he thinks we can put one in. My dad (also an electrician) and husband agree we should do a max load test before we put 40 or more amps on the panel, though. (Long story short: we have a 200 amp breaker but 100 amps coming into the house, so we need to put in a smaller breaker.) So it's still a bit up in the air. Gas/dual-fuel: I went to look at the Aga Legacy today and really liked it. I'm also going to look at a Lacanche soon, at a Lacanche ambassador's house. Both of those are, frankly, more than I wanted to pay, but I really love the looks and some of the features a lot (ovens on the Aga, simmer plate and large burner on the Lacanche). I've also considered a BlueStar or Big Chill Pro Style (rebadged BlueStar), but there isn't one local to me. The price, features, and availability of the color finish are good, but I'm a little nervous about all the issues people have had. I think I've looked at nearly every option out there, but I'd love to hear more if anyone has ideas!
    ...See More

Tecnogas Superiore 48" gas and induction range

Q

Comments (0)
    Hi, Very curious about this range's unique config- 4 induction burners, griddle and 2 gas burners. Does anyone have any info on this brand and the range? I know it was just introduced in the US. TIA!
    ...See More

Bridge mode on induction cooktops -- how good? (esp. Bosch 30" range)

Q

Comments (5)
    For a true Bosch bridge unit, it will look like following picture (http://www.bosch-home.com/us/products/cooking-baking/cooktops.html#tab5). It comprises of 4 small coils to cover the whole bridge area. A number of coils can be activated at the same time e.g. all 4, 3, 2 + 2 etc to create different heating pattern. Many other brands use two sets of squarish coils e.g. still circular, but sitting very close together. Wolf is not a true bridge as far as I understand. When used with 20cmx40cm pan, griddle, grill, especially the multiply type, heat will be very even thoughout. If you use double burner pans a lot, a true bridge induction unit is worth it.
    ...See More
  • dajmsd
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks - I thought it might be too much. I clearly can’t decide on many fronts! I want some gas but also induction as the feedback is so good about it. I had also heard great things about the griddle and grill (we live in the great white north so the grill seemed like a good idea for our winter months). This is helpful to hear so I can think this through more.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    4 years ago

There are a few with multiple cooking surfaces. I’ve been trying to figure out how to have both so have looked into this. However I don’t have anywhere near 48” of space so don’t have the options you do.

Yale blog

You can get a countertop smokeless grill to use in the winter and put it away when not.

• dajmsd
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks! Those are very helpful

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    4 years ago

I run a catering buusiness from my home and entertain very often I have a 6 burner all gas range , Bertazzoni with wok burner, an induction single burner portable that I do like for sauces and double all electric wall ovens, all the ovens are convection. I would never spend the money on a Wolf IMO totally overrated and the “matching “ griddle is way too expensive I have a griddle that fits over 2 burners and cost $ 25. I also live in a cold climate but I had an indoor grill once and never again the smells even with good ventilation stay and the grease oes everywhere. We BBQ outside all winter just make sure you have some lighting for the grill and it is nice and close to the house. We put a grillzeebo over ours to keep the snow and rain off.

• opaone
    4 years ago

A few thoughts.

- I would not do an indoor grill. Grill mess and odors are best left outside IMO. We live in Minnesota and grill out all year.

- Get extra elec circuits and use countertop induction burners. Pull them out when you need them and then put them away or keep them out or one or two of each. You can mix and match and these are much easier and cost effective to repair/replace.

- Consider a 24" thermostatic griddle / flat-top. These are actually quite versital

- Burner top griddles are fine for some people but they are not even heat across the surface nor do they maintain even heat over time. A good thermostatic is much better.

- Of consumer ranges I think Wolf has the best griddle. Bluestar has the best burners (on the RNB, avoid the Platinum). I THINK the ovens are comparable. BS has seemed to have had a much higher rate of customer service and quality complaints on here.

FWIW, we entertain a lot and occasionally also bring in guest chef's. Our new kitchen is almost identical to our current kitchen; 48" range w/ 24" griddle, Miele masterchef wall oven (w/ steam), Miele CSO, GE Advantium MW/Fastbake. 2 warming drawers.

For countertop stuff we also have 4 induction burners, 2 hot plates, 2 bain marie's, 4 chaffers (w a huge variety of various industry std size pans), 2 roasters, 3 crocks and 2 sous vide heaters+pans.

• dajmsd
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Me too! I am not feeling that my original idea was too much now....

• megs1030
    4 years ago

Have you looked into a Lacanche? They are fairly customizable, you can configure one with gas burners and induction burners on the same unit. 78" of cooktop sounds overwhelming and I'm not sure how it would look with 2 hoods. Lacanche ranges are made to order and manufactured in France. The measurements are a little different than what you find here in the States. Depending on the size you choose you could add a Plancha, a grill top, a bain marie, a French top, etc. Loads of options! Grill tops are not recommended for any range top for many reasons, but clean up and proper ventilation being the main 2.

We originally wanted to upgrade our current 36" cooktop to a 48" but I hated the fact that, for the most part, that meant we'd be stuck with 8 gas burners. I don't know what I'd do with 8 gas burners. I only use 3, at the most, at the same time now. You can customize the oven layout, as well. Because it is a French range and made to order in France, the measurements are a little different than what you've looked at here in the States. We visited the Lacanche showroom in NYC. They have 2 others in CA and Washington state. If you can't visit those, they do have ambassadors across the country who could show you theirs in their home. After our visit to NYC, and meeting with the lovely Elisa, we ordered a Cluny 1400. It's 55-ish", with 5 gas burners, 2 induction burners, a warming cupboard (you can use as a slow cooker), a gas oven and an electric oven. Similar one shown below, but keep in mind there are endless configurations! https://www.frenchranges.com/lacanche-ranges/

• PRO
    THE FRENCH BARN - Lacanche Canada
    4 years ago

@megs1030, congratulations on your new Lacanche, and thank you for your kind words!

@dajmsd, our 71" or 87" ranges would certainly allow you to get everything you are looking for in one single unit. Here is an example with our 71" Sully 1800: 4 burners, a gas grill, an electric griddle (plancha), and 2 induction burners.

Moving up to the 87" Sully 2200, you could potentially add another set of induction burners and even a 3rd oven!

The hood and ventilation would of course need to be sized accordingly, something that our Lacanche owners have done successfully for many years.

For Lacanche in the Great White North, please visit www.lacanche.ca , or send us a note at sales@french-barn.com .

A bientot!

Patrick

• wekick
    4 years ago

You have a lot of decisions to make. :-)). Just some brief comments....except on the griddle.

Gas Burners

What works well for one person might not work at all for another. What type of cooking do you do? Any high heat applications like stir frying? What type of cookware do you use? This could have an impact on the type of burners you choose. There are big differences between Wolf/Monogram’s dual stacked, capped, sealed ring burners and BlueStar uncapped, open tray star burners. The size of your range may be dictated by the size of your kitchen. Search some of the posts by Kasecki to find out about ventilation.

I cook for up to 60 and I have a 36” range, 6 burners, plus a couple of induction plates, an Instapot, a small Nesco cooker, a couple of hot plates and I simmer in my oven a lot of the time. I have the Wolf DF which has the burners that are on the Wolf AG range now. I would definitely consider the BS star on my next range.

Griddles

You can get a griddle in three ways. They each have benefits and vary tremendously in the ways they are made.

Built in Griddles

These mostly have the benefit of a thermostat so that you can turn the knob on to certain setting and you will get an easily reproducible temperature. There will be a constant variation in that temperature as the burner cycles, maybe +/- 25°F-50°F depending on the thermostat. It is very difficult to find out what those numbers are. They also have a little more stability, compared to an add on griddle. There are a lot of differences in how these are put together.

Cooking surface-

Wolf and BlueStar have rolled steel, but BS’s is half the thickness of Wolf. This seasons like cast iron and becomes nonstick If you let it. Wolf being thicker will heat more evenly over time but takes longer to heat and turn up or down. Steel heats unevenly so you have areas that are hotter. Wolf refers to this in their manual. Monogram has an aluminum base clad in stainless. The aluminum is to provide more even heating as it has much better heat transfer properties but there was a thread not long ago about how difficult the stainless on it was to clean. There are some griddles that are all aluminum because it conducts heat so well. Some have a surface that is removable to clean. Some have a chromium finish which is sold as making it easy to clean but reviews say it is hard to clean.

Heat source-

Blue star gas a burner like this.

Wolf attempts to have a heat source that provides more even heat so they use an infrared burner.

Some built ins use an electric element with an aluminum plate, which might provide the most even heating depending on the thickness of the aluminum.

Look at the amount of BTUs. Wolf is about 15K but a few go up to 18K.

Add on or overlay griddles

You can buy these from a restaurant supply very inexpensively.

Some of the advantages with an overlay.

-flexibility of using the griddle or the burner. You can take the griddle off to clean and put it away if you want to.

-You can get whatever metal you want. Steel will season easily but tend to have zones of hotter and cooler temperatures. Some people like that because they can cook on one part and hold on another. You can adjust the front and back burners to different levels of heat. There are aluminum griddles and some have a nonstick surface. These are great when you need even heat like for grilled sandwiches or pancakes There are 2 burner and 4 burner sizes or you can just use 2 -2 burner griddles if you need more space. I have the bare aluminum griddles because I tend to grill a lot of sandwiches. They do season over time If you don’t scrub the seasoning off. I also have a nonstick one. I thought I would buy a steel 4 burner but when I got to the store, I could hardly lift it. The aluminum weighs less.

These se are my faves and I have the 15”x23” in bare aluminum. You can transfer these to the oven too.

http://royalindustriesinc.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4_22_48

A lot of posters like these too.

https://www.dvorsons.com/ChefKing/Griddles.htm

You can position the griddle wherever you want to on the range top. Sometimes I turn it so it covers two burners on the front.

-The 2 burner overlays like the Royal Industries and Chef King in the 15”x23” have almost 50% more cooking area than the 2 burner built ins. It is easy to calculate the usable area of each.

-You can have a lot more heat. Even with Wolf’s 15K BTU burners, which is on the low end, you would have 30K BTUs compared to the usual 15-18K. It can go up from there.

There is yet another choice, the countertop Griddle. These are usually thermostatically controlled and work pretty well but vary in quality. Of course they are not as “cheffy”. They are usually made of aluminum though.

These comments were made above.

Burner top griddles are fine for some people but they are not even heat across the surface”

This depends a lot on what metal the griddle is made of and it’s thickness. Rather than whether it is built in or not. Any that are aluminum have better heat transfer properties of the cooking surface. As mentioned above, you have your choice with an add on.

nor do they maintain even heat over time.”

If you consider how the heat is applied to the griddle, the overlay receives a constant inflow and has a pretty constant loss of heat once you adjust it and it comes to equilibrium. The thermostatically controlled griddle has a swing like an oven, so I would disagree with that. You do have to adjust the heat in the beginning but it is like cooking with a pan. Not sure if it is even significant in cooking unless you had too big of a swing with the thermostat. I’ve seen some electric skillets like that.

Steam oven-

Do you mean a dedicated steam oven or a combi oven that fully functions as a convection oven and also as a steam oven? Have you looked at Miele? We have a poste here “M” that can speak to the combi ovens, also called CSOs(Convection Steam Ovens)

Wall oven-

This is a whole discussion by itself. What are you thinking here?

Gas range oven- If you do cook for large groups, it would be a good thing to have an oven that holds a full sized commercial tray. Even if you don’t use the full size, it is nice to be able to use twok half sheets side by side.. Wolf is not big enough for that even in the 36” oven. BS, Monogram and some others are.

• johnsoro25
    4 years ago

Haven’t read through all the replies, so not sure if I’m duplicating. I would look I to a range that has both gas and induction if that is what you want. And a steam oven. Look at the Thermador line.

• kaseki
    4 years ago

Large hoods are always possible. See figure. But you need a blower rated for around 135 CFM per square foot of hood entry aperture (to get the desired 90 CFM/sq.ft.). And an MUA system of roughly equal size.

• jalarse
    4 years ago

I have the Wolf 48” and I love it. We entertain all the time so I cook a lot. Mine is all gas with the griddle and grill. We do saturday night pot lucks in the winter, nice to be able to grill without standing in the cold and the rain.

• tedbixby
    4 years ago

jalarse - I'm coming over to your house for dinner, too. Everyone keep showing us your beautiful ranges and before I know it, my dance card will be filled with a dinner date for each night and no more kitchen remodel thoughts for me-lol...

• opaone
    4 years ago

[tedbixby] opaone - you just convinced me not to remodel my kitchen and instead come over to your house for dinner :)

Note that I never said I could cook :-)

• dajmsd
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Wow - thanks for all the responses. I am now second guessing on so many fronts! Now leaning to a 36 inch Miele induction cooktop, a single Miele wall oven, and a Miele convection steam oven. While I love my gas, the stores are convincing me that if I have induction, I would never use the gas.

• waverly6
    4 years ago

In March, I bought the mother of all Weber grills; 5 or 6 burner and side burner and rotisserie. In summer I usually grill every day and as much as the weather allows me to in winter. While I'm waiting for my kitchen reno in winter I bought air fryer ovens and a countertop steam oven as my oven is not great. Since I got these, I have used my grill only twice. (I also haven't used my cooktop, ovens or microwave.) Steak, fish, lamb, rotisseried everything gets done in my air fryer and we are most surprised that it turns out better than barbequed. So this is my longwinded way of saying you probably don't need the grill in your new cooking arrangements. Get an air fryer.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022