SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lakeguy35

Cooking for a Diabetic with HBP

lakeguy35
12 years ago

Dad and one of my brothers are coming down this weekend and I'm curious if my menu and plan will be okay for him. If not, what would you suggest. I did ask him what his restrictions were and all he said was no sugar. He is a stubborn guy and doesn't always follow the rules so to speak. He has had a rough couple of years with his health (coming up on one year cancer free too) so I want him to be able to enjoy the food and the long weekend down here.

Here is my plan. I honestly don't know if this plan is okay for him and he is no help at all. Just keeps saying don't worry about I won't starve.

Friday will be appy's...suprise cheese balls, parm onion toasts, and baked pinwheels with puff pastry. Ceasar Salad, lasagna, and garlice bread.

Saturday will be breakfast at a local diner. Afternoon by the pool with munchies. Chips and salsa, fruit tray, veggies and dip, antipasta platter and a couple of other munchie type things(not sure yet). Later we will be grilling burgers, brats, and dogs with baked beans, potato salad, chips, and maybe some corn on the cob. Again, he said this was fine and not fuss or worry??? Also, we will be celebrating one of DS birthdays so some friends will be bringing other sides and munchies as well. They asked for suggestions too knowing Dad's diet limits. Expecting around 40 plus peeps for that afternoon evening.

Sunday brunch will be some kind of breakfast casserole with hashbrowns, grits, biscuits and gravy, and more fruit. I'm sure a few of us will have a bloody mary or two too. : )

Sunday evening will be steaks on the grill, baked potatoes, asparagus, and some of that homemade bread you make in a cast iron pot in the oven.

You know me and baking so there will be several SWEET desserts, sticky buns, cinnamon rolls, and cookies to put out throughout the weekend.

I guess my main question is, do the main meals sound okay. He wanted the steak for Sunday so I guess that's okay. What about dessert for a diabetic. Any suggestions or recipes?? That would be a great help as I don't want to leave him out on some kind of treats over the weekend.

Would love your input here. Not at all opposed to menu changes and or making something special for him on the side with our current plan. For the most part I've never had to cook anything special or restricted for someone with medical challenges with the exception of a good friend who can only eat shell fish. Any other kind of fish sends him to the ER.

I'll be doing my main shopping haul on Thurday as well as what prep work can be done that night and Friday.

TIA!!

David

Comments (20)