SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
goodbyekitty_gw

Question about adding R value

goodbyekitty
13 years ago

I have 2 bids in so far for insulating the attic, crawlspace and ductwork. I was told that we have only about 5 to 5 1/2 inches of insulation in our attic. So I'm guessing thats around an R value of 15? Maybe a little less.

I'm sceptical about each of the bids and I'm thinking they're not adding enough. According to the energy star website, I live in zone 5. One bid is going to add R-19 blown in fiberglass. The other bidder says he is going to "reinsulate to R-38" with blown in fiberglass.

The way the Energy star website is worded for zone 5, I take it to read that if I already have 3-4 inches of insulation (in my case 5"), then you need to add R-38 to R-49 insulation. That would bring total insulation to around R-49 roughly since you already have a little insulation. Which happens to be the same amount of insulation you need for new construction.

So are these bids adding enough insulation or not? Am I reading the website wrong? One bid brings my insulation up to only R-38, the other brings it up to only R-34.

Comments (12)