SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hawk307

wfd # 294

hawk307
14 years ago

I brought this over from WFD #293 because it went off the Bottom again.

So instead of wasting the Post, I started a new WFD.

I Bumped it about 4 or 5 times but I won't do it anymore.

If there aren't enough Cooks to keep it going, then so be it.

Posted by hawk307 (My Page) on Thu, May 7, 09 at 21:48

Gina:

They were !!! Sometimes they come and peep in the Garage,

when I'm working.

- - - - - - - - - - -

Didn't cook much, I shared some Spaghetti and Meatballs,

That I cooked for a neighbor friend.

His wife has Cancer and Hospice was there .

She can still eat a little, so I made up a Double Portion,

for them, in a Styro Foam container.

LOU

{{gwi:1513026}}

Posted by hawk307 (My Page) on Thu, May 7, 09 at 22:43

Sharon:

Gina:

Here are some waiting to eat too !!!

LOU

{{gwi:1513028}}

{{gwi:1513027}}

Comments (100)

• annie1992
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Kathleen, more congratulations to Lily. You are a good grandma and I had to laugh about weighing each of those boxes, LOL.

Marigene, the salmon looks delicious. I had sole stuffed with crabmeat, Elery made it and I didn't take a picture and it wasn't as pretty as your fish but it sure tasted good.

SharonCB, Makayla has decided that we need to plant sunflowers in the garden this year, so the birds can have a garden too. I hope we get some of those cardinals like Lou's.

So what's for dinner? I had the rest of the fish from this weekend, and I baked. Last week I had promised to bake cinnamon rolls for a local fund raiser and so I put them into disposable pans and frosted them.

Before spreading the frosting:

After frosting:

{{gwi:1523443}}

I made four pans and they all sold within the first ten minutes of the sale, so many people said they don't "have time" for bread to rise that it surprised me.

Then I came home this weekend and made some bread of my own, a nice whole grain loaf with 10 grain cerreal, whole wheat flour, rye, and some cornmeal. I free formed the loaves on a sheet pan so I'd get a flatter loaf with lots of crust, which is my favorite part:

Some butter and cherry jam and it was supper on Saturday night:

{{gwi:1523445}}

I was going to finish mowing yesterday, but I got a surprise visit from Ashley and Cooper, isn't he getting big?

Nothing for supper tonight, we've been at the emergency room with Bruvver who ate a whole box of Pepto Bismol tablets and ended up getting his stomach pumped. Sigh. He's fine, the rest of us are wrecked.

Annie

• dixiedog_2007
    14 years ago

Sharon that salad looks wonderful as well as the sausage. I have a craving!

Annie, that dog is just adoreable. Sorry to hear about your grandson. I hope he is feeling much better.

Tonight is pot roast, potatoes, carrots and green beans. It is unseasonably cool here (setting records) so this should make us feel good.

• hawk307
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Cathy:
    I'm not Jealous of Sharon. Just trying to get Her to say,
    Come on over for a week.!!!

Sharon: I can't pronounce the others , so I'll settle for the Sausage and Potatoe's

Marigene:
    That's my dish , Where's your's ???

Annie:
    With all the people you mention, I forget who's who ?
    Read too fast and thought the Dog ate the Pepto Bismol.

I took a bite out of the Cinnamon Rolls but covered it with the frosting. They won't mind !!!

When are you going to try Cinnamon " Bunns ". I have a good Dough Recipe.

If you plant Sunflower seeds , I'll give you a T & T
    Recipe for Spray ,
    The Deer love Sunflower Seeds.

Dixiedog:
    I made just about the same as you, the Veggies were separate.

Roast Beef with a lot of Gravy for dippin.
    I mixed them all together anyway and made a Pot Roast.
    Lou

{{gwi:1523447}}

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Annie I hope Bruvver is all better now. What a fright that must have been! Does Pepto Bismol taste that good? I'm looking with longing at your cinnamon buns.
    I love them so much! But am trying to avoid bread and sweets at the moment. Lucky ....(I guess)...that they've never heard of them over here in the bakeries!

Dixie the weather here is funny and too cool also. I wouldn't mind pot roast either. Haven't made one in ages.

Lou you are a gravy man I can see....just like my DH. He wanted to go out yesterday to a little outdoor patio restaurant in our neighbourhood just because they cover all with lashings of gravy. So we went.

Wolf had escalope in pepper sauce....buckets of gravy (!) and wrinkled salted potatoes with red & green mojo and salad.

I felt like a tapas combo of Russian salad (it was all gone) with ham croquettes, so ended up with chips and salad. Not exactly diet food! Weather sunny and warm now.

Almost forgot we had fish at home the other day...Wolf's plate with much potato and a few veg.

This young lady sits every day by the pharmacy wearing boutique clothes. Lucky she's not real or she'd get bored. She's my "bird" entry for today....(for Lou).
    I'm still waiting for the parrots to come and eat all those sunflower seeds that I bought!

SharonCb

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Hmmm guess not much cooking going on here at the moment.

Well today I did so here's what we had, after DH set the table outside since it was a sunny warm day again.

Mixed salad, salmon baked in teriyaki sauce and a steamed vegetable mixture. Those

are sure plentiful at the moment. The markets are full and people are giving them away from their gardens. I know they have another name in English but here they are bubangos. A mild pale green sort of a squash, eaten with skin on. We had some today in our veg mixture.

Have a good weekend everyone!

SharonCb

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Sharon, Bruvver is just fine. Ashley reminded me of when she ate a whole bottle of children's vitamins, the prescription kind that had floride. Before that she ate the remainder of a bottle of children's aspirin. I guess it's genetic!

those bubangos look like a summer squash, similar to zucchini or the yellow crooknecks.

I was out rototilling the garden last night until 10 pm and so supper was shredded wheat. Not picture worthy, LOL.

The two nights before that I was digging out pieces of concrete in the back yard where my ex-husband thought a "retaining wall/planter" in the corner of the fence by the pool was a good idea and promptly planted it full of some kind of shrub. It was ugly and since he just stacked pieces of broken concrete on top of each other, it was falling apart and the shrubs were over-running the yard. I thought about getting rid of it last year and ran out of time, LOL, so now I have a big pile of broken pieces of cement in the backyard to haul away. I had eggs for supper both of those nights.

Sunday night I mowed the lawn, so there hasn't been a whole lot of cooking going on here, I had leftover pork tenderloin and warmed up mashed potatoes Sunday night.

Tonight? Beats me. Tomorrow night Elery will be here and I think I'm going to make him some braised lamb shanks with cannellini beans, we got lamb shanks really cheaply at the Mediterranean Market the last time we were there and they've just been in the freezer waiting. I've got to make those when he's here because he loves lamb and I don't, LOL.

Annie

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Oh, and the Pepto Bismol? It tastes like wintergreen, those little pink candies that my Dad used to love.

If they had tasted terrible he probably wouldn't have eaten them. In any case, he's fine. Amanda definitely has her hands full with that boy.

Annie

• hawk307
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Annie:
    Do Eggs, Sausage and Home Fries count as Dinner.
    I sprinkled them with Cooter Rubb, Maybe that helps ???

Sharon:
    I see a Deer peeping at the food on your table.

Lou's Virtual Dinner !!! Steamed Poached Eggs.

{{gwi:1523455}}

• hawk307
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I made another Snack for Dinner. Brought this over from the Fresh Corn on the Cob Post.
    Have to keep WFD going. Guess not many feel like Posting.

I asked if anyone could guess what kind of a Sandwich I'm going to make.
    It was sprinkled with Cooter Rubb and Garlic.
    The Out of Season Corn was Great!!!
    I forgot the sliced Tomatoes for the Photo.
    LOU

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Lou, I have eggs for supper a lot.

Sharon, the salad is lovely, but the table is even more appetizing, it looks beautiful.

Before supper we had a snack, skewers of sun dried tomatoes, mozzarella, artichoke pieces and olives, drizzled with balsamic and olive oil and some cream cheese stuffed jalapenos. Elery got ALL the olives, with my blessing, and all the jalapenos too!

{{gwi:1523456}}

As I threatened, I braised lamb shanks in red wine for Elery, and served them over cannellini beans, with latkes on the side made from butternut squash. This is his plate, mine looks just like it except minus the lamb, LOL.

{{gwi:1523457}}

When I stopped at the gas station today, I found this and couldn't resist, I haven't seen a Sky Bar since I was a child. It didn't taste as good as I remember, LOL.

{{gwi:1523458}}

As for the lamb, Elery's dog Pancho approved, whether I like it or not.

{{gwi:1523459}}

Right now I have an herb cheese bread cooling on the counter and I'm going to bed soon because I'm meeting Sherry, Peppi and Cathy at Penzey's in the morning!

Annie

• hawk307
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Annie :
    I didn't cook anything, for Dinner.
    Munching on Chicken Salad and Ritz, that I made tonight.
    With Onions that I had in the Frige, since yesterday.

My Son and Daughter are up til tommorrow.

Everyone loved it !!!
    Hope the Onions were OK !

Haven't been to Livonia, for a long while.

That's where they held the,
    North American WildFowl Carving Competetion .

I entered a couple of times. Took home Blue Ribbons in the Pro Class.

Wish I could be there to meet Yau'll.
    I'd love to terrorize , in person.

Say Hello to everyone for me.
    Lou

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Well I know you will have a good time with the ladies in Penzey's Annie. I've never seen that shop but I know I would love to have a long browse through it. Say hello for me too.
    It's a wonder that Pepto Bismol doesn't have childproof caps on the jars. I hate those lids myself because I usually have to resort to a wrench and saw to open bottles with those on.
    But when you have little ones in the house it makes sense.

Lou I would love some of your corn on the cob. Looks good.
    And see what you've brought on at my house now with those sunflower seeds.....a flock of doves came to sit in the tree outside my computer room window. They sat and watched the blackbirds eating their dry catfood. Then sat on a TV antenna for a long time. I hope they don't come around every day and poop sit on our patio. I will have to ban those sunflower seeds if that's what's bringing them. They're pretty though. Perhaps I'll plant the seeds in the garden.
    My daughter on Vancouver Island has eagles in her wooded garden. Three of them nearly hit my son-in-law in the head the other day, they were flying so close to him.

Lunch out yesterday at the French restaurant where I did a review the other day. Wolf had his favourite Niçoise salad and I had my favourite chicken salad with avocado and roquefort cheese. But they didn't have any ripe avocados so they left that out. Wished they'd told me that beforehand....I would have chosen something else. We ended the light meal with crêpes....minus the ice cream and flambé this time. Wolf had crêpes Normandy...filled with apple & cinnamon and I had crêpes au chocolate....au good!
    Then strong coffee in a glass.

Friends of Lou.

Have a good weekend everyone!

SharonCb

• malna
    14 years ago

I posted some pictures on the Rice Cookalong thread, but as I mentioned there, my darling granddaughter dropped my camera overboard while we were fishing, so there won't be any pictures for a while. Wished I had tape recorded her very soft "Uh-Oh!" when that happened...LOL!

Last night was burgers on the grill, some roasted corn on the cob, and salad.

BTW, Lou - am I in trouble for my rice pudding? You said you have to talk to me about that!

Tonight will be pesto chicken roll-ups (from the Basil Cookalong thread) and salad.

Hope everyone has a great (and safe) weekend!

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Sharon, the Pepto Bismol tablets don't come in a bottle, they come in those "blister packs" that you pop the pill out the back. Not childproof at all, that's for sure!

WE had a great time at Penzey's and at the Tapas restaurant, probably not really authentic, but it was fun anyway, and I did a separate thread with pictures.

We came home and had leftover beans from last night's supper and homemade bread, as well as some egg foo yung that Elery made.

Sorry about that camera Malna!

Lou, we were quite a long way from Livonia, a couple of hours at least. In fact, I don't think I've ever even BEEN to Livonia, I never really knew that there was anything there!

Annie

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Malna sorry to hear about your camera. What a shame!
    I love pesto and chicken together...I bet the rollups were really good.

Lou... Livonia sounds to me like somewhere in Italy, or a small European country. A rather romantic sounding name.

Annie okay about blister packs....yes I sometimes forget what century we're living in LOL.

Today I did my entry for the rice thread. Although I thought of a dish I saw in one of my Spanish cook books, I ended up doing piquillo peppers stuffed with a mixture of wild rice, tuna, Heinz salad cream, onion, S & P. They were really good, even though the peppers were too fragile this time for a neat looking stuffing, but I piled it in to them as well as a couple of ripe tomatoes on a bed of salad.

We sat outside and had a late dessert of fresh fruit salad....papaya, strawberries, banana, cherries, orange juice... over vanilla ice cream.
    I'll be repeating those dishes often during the hot summer days.

SharonCb

• hawk307
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Everything looks Great.

Malna:
    Why would you be in trouble ? I wanted your Recipe !!!,
    for Rice Pudding.
    You are in trouble if you don't Post it !!!

Sharon:
    The Doves here don't eat the Sunflower Seeds.
    The Peppers !!! That means Small Peppers, Si !
    I'm going to do the same every other nite, with the Vanilla Ice Cream and Fruit.

I'm supposed to cut back on the Ice Cream. I used to have some almost every night.

Tonight I had a dish of Mostaccioli Rigati and Meat Balls.

Now that sounds like a Place in Italy !!!

{{gwi:1523476}}

I almost stepped on this guy out back. I think he came for some milk but
    I didn't have the right kind. That counts as WFD, YES ???

He was curled up in a ball at the base of a tree. I wasn't supposed to see him.

Just laid there looking, until I stepped on something that made noise.

He got up and tried to walk but looked like a drunken Sailor on leave.
    So that meant he wasn't too old. I picked him up and carried him to my deck,
    before he went into my lumber pile and got hurt.

Wasn't to jumpy but an little nervous ,so I petted him for a while and took a Photo.

Carried him to an empty lot next door and laid him in some bushes.
    All the while walking there, he called out "Ma, Ma !!!"

{{gwi:1523478}}

Going on too long. I'll comment on the other things later.
    LOU

• malna
    14 years ago

DH was tinkering and fixed my camera (and the washing machine all in the same day)! I just love having a live-in repairman LOL.

Yep, it's that time of year again...

Lou, here's how my mom made rice pudding.

1/2 gallon milk (I add light cream, because when I was growing up, milk had cream in it)
    3/4 cup uncooked rice (not Minute Rice)
    3/4 cup sugar (if I add raisins, I decrease the amount of sugar to 2/3 cup)
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    1 tablespoon butter
    1 cup seedless raisins (optional - but Mom always put raisins in hers)
    1 teaspoon vanilla or more to taste

1. Rinse the rice and put in large ovenproof dish (mine is 4 qts.) Add milk, sugar, salt, butter and raisins and stir until sugar is dissolved.
    2. Bake in a slow oven (325°F) about 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until rice is very tender.
    3. A brown film will form on the pudding, and stir this under (every 15 minutes or so after the first hour). This gives the pudding a rich, creamy texture.
    4. The last time you stir the pudding, add the vanilla. You can also add lemon zest or extract.
    5. Let one last brown film form on the pudding.
    6. Serve warm or cold. We used to dust it with cinnamon or nutmeg.

We went to the neighborhood cookout yesterday. I brought Sands Picnic Peanut Noodles, which turned out great. Thanks, Sands! Here's the recipe (it's hard to find using the search feature):

Sands Picnic Peanut Noodles

1c chix broth
    3 Tbsp Fresh grated ginger root
    3 oz soy sauce [almost a 1/4 c]
    1/2 c peanut butter
    5 TBSP [1/4 c] honey
    **btw if you measure - by now I just eye - use some non-stick spray in your measuring cup for both the PB and the honey, makes it much easier :)
    1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
    4 cloves or 2 tsp minced garlic

1 lb noodles [some like Udon I like barilla spaghetti rigatti it has furrows lengthwise on the noodle really grabs the sauce]

1/2 cup chopped green onion
    1/2 c chopped honey roasted peanuts

heat the broth add the other goodies except the last three, heat add stir till well blended. Cook the noodles toss with the sauce, add half the honey peanuts and half the green onion [I usually use the white part and save the green rings for garnish]. Chill several hours or overnight

Next day or later toss the noodles to separate then top with the last of the green onion and the remaining honey peanuts as garnish.

Sands Notes: I've been adjusting this recipe for yrs - it's sooo hard to figure out what a sweet/savory sauce [when hot] will develop into when it cools so if you taste the sauce when it's hot and it tastes a little tangalicious don't worry it cools and develops nicely :)

Unfortunately, soon after we started eating, we had a bad thunderstorm. I saw on the local weather that four hikers were injured by lightning just a few miles away. DH does not like lightning (he was knocked unconscious by a strike years ago) so we skedaddled home.

• hawk307
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Does anyone Know, Why my photo's are being Deleted ???
    In fact last nights " Pasta " Photo.
    And a few other threads !!! They were in there, now gone?

Malna:

I've cooked Rice Pudding many ways, even Low Cal.
    Every one had Egg in the Recipe. Did you forget it ?

Always looking for different ways, especially Old Ways.

You mentioned about, Cream in milk . I remembered !!!

We milked the Cow, took the bucket to the Kitchen and ran the milk thru Cheese Cloth, let it sit.

I swear it was almost half Cream. A lot of the Cream was scooped off, to make different things.

I would stir it up and fill a glass. Mmmmmmmmm !

Here are a couple of my favorite Photo's I put in about 2 years ago. They are food related.

Hey Mom! Where are you? I'm Hungry !!!

{{gwi:1523483}}

I'm glad you finally got here, I'm starved !

{{gwi:1523485}}

Hope you see them before they are deleted.

LOU

• malna
    14 years ago

Lou,
    I guess it was my mom that forgot, because she never put eggs in her rice pudding ;-) So that's the way I make it - but next time, I'll try it with eggs - I bet it will be good.

And I'm old enough to remember getting milk delivered fresh from the dairy with the cream on the top of the glass bottles. I still have a milk box on my front porch (but now the only people that use it are the UPS and FedEx guys, who put packages in there if it's raining and I'm not here)!

Did you perhaps rename or move your pictures? I can't think of any other reasons they would disappear?!?

Everyone's pictures look so good. Now that my camera is all clean and I don't have to touch up all the dirt specks, I'll try getting some better food porn shots!

Now off to put the pork roast on the rotisserie, wrap the corn for roasting, and make a roasted corn-black bean salsa for the side dish.

• hawk307
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Malna:
    Don't change your recipe; if it is good, just because I mentioned eggs.
    - - - - - - - -
    In Korea we had civilian KP'S come in to help in the kitchen.
    Kim, saw me take some Hot cooked Rice, beat an Egg with a little milk and mix it in with,
    Sugar and Cinnamon. He thought I was Crazy.
    They ate it plain or maybe with salt.
    - - - - - -

You remember the cream at the top of the glass milk bottles !!! Boy you are OLD !!!

I remember it freezing and pushing the Cream out of the top.
    Naturally it had to be cut off, to get the top back on.
    Heh ! Heh ! naturally.
    Really I don't remember ! Just heard of all these things.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    I've been in the Old F^&t's Club for many years.
    - - - - -
    I haven't done anything to remove the Photo's.
    This happened before.
    Someone complained , the Photo's slowed everything down so,
    Only mine were Deleted ???

I noticed some of my latest Photo's were blurred on one side.
    The lens was smeared. I clean the lens often now.

Save me a piece of Pork Roast.
    LOU

• hawk307
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Forgot to put in the Dinner Photo's.

When I use the Whole Chicken, to make Soup, I cut off the Breasts and
    Save them for Chicken Fingers. Guess some are Thumbs.

I washed and pat them with a paper towel and into Seasoned Flour.
    Then into the Eggs , beaten with a little milk and
    right into the Bread Crumbs, Seasoned with, Garlic and Onion Powder, Parsley Flakes,
    Black Pepper, Cooter Rubb, Salt, Parmesan Cheese and a Pinch of Old Bay.

Now they are ready for the Skillet

They smell pretty good cooking !!!

They went pretty fast. I was hoping to have some leftovers for a later snack, BUT !!!

Nothing wrong with your eyes !!!
    The Photo is a little Blurred on one side. There was a Smear on the Camera Lens.

Lou

Annie: Sky Bars !!!

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

Lou, enough with the deer, I am getting tics!

We have them here, and they just ate my new rose bush! And I hold a grudge against them as I had a bad case of Lyme disease...and it never fully goes away, so anything I do wrong, just blame it on that!

Malna, uh oh on the camera! Thank goodness dh can fix it!

Annie, I never had a Sky Bar...what are they like? And Devil Dogs don't taste like I remember them either!

Sharon, that fruit salad is just so colorful..looks delicious!

I had a piece of loin of pork left, so I made Pork Fried Rice and some egg rolls from the Chinese place...

And this was breakfast on our 39th Anniv...Fresh blueberry pancakes, bacon, fresh fruit....and things went downhill from there..:)

• hawk307
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kathleen:
    Went Downhill? I'm afaid to ask.

OK ! No more Deer Photo's.
    I made a good Deer Spray for Plants and Flowers.
    Finally got some growing.
    I have mostly EverGreens. Blue Spruce , Pine and Hemlock. Azzealea's are in full Bloom.
    Now if I could remember to spray the Plants every few days I might get Flowers.
    Already had Daffodils.
    lou

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Sweet little fawns, but I guess I'd not put up with them eating my roses.

Kathleen that's a lovely breakfast table....are those pink roses or carnations? The Chinese dinner looks good too.

Lou your photos have been deleted from your server, and not from Garden Web so you or the server must have done something to change their status on your posting site. Did you move them around to another location? That will break a link so photos don't show up any more. GWeb wouldn't publish your photos and then remove them (unless they were naughty!) :-)
    I know my photos would disappear from PictureTrail sometimes when they fiddled around with their storage servers, moving members' photos from one place to another.

We had similar dinners yesterday. I came home late from Pilates and grocery shopping as I walked everywhere rather than take the car. Early morning I pulled some chicken tenders out of the freezer and later cut each one in 3 pieces, then rolled them in a mix of ground almond and Old Bay (thanks to you I'm using it since I bought some in Canada.) Steamed some potatoes, yam and cabbage and melted a pot of butter for Wolf to drizzle over all. We sat outside and were serenaded by many blackbirds.

Crispy Almond Chicken Tenders

SharonCb

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

Thank, Lou, I appreciate it..:)
    They are beautiful animals but NIMBY!!

Sharon they are little mini carns I picked up at Sams. I have nothing blooming yet for cut flowers ..soon!

Both the chicken tender dinners look great..I love chicken done that way..simple pleasures!

Last night was Lucky Leftovers..:)
    I had sliced steak left over, some romaine, and I made goat cheese discs for the salad. I love how the warm cheese oozes out over the crisp greans and warm meat...
    Also had Sausage bread left..so that was WFD...

This is from the Memorial Day service yesterday in the park in town here, Southampton. Our friend's son, a Capt. in the USMC spoke. The park is beautiful, the ocean is one block south..

• hawk307
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sharon:
    I use Cute ftp site for Photo's . I found these were deleted,
    from the Public side of the Site.
    I put a couple back in the CF. It worked OK !
    Why were these ( from the CF ) the only ones deleted ???

The last time this happened ( when there was a complaint ),
    about slowing down the Posting.
    they were deleted by the CF.

Kathleen:
    I forgot to comment on your Table Settings.

Wish you two would put in some Down Home Cooking, so I'll feel at home.
    Do you have my formula for Deer Spray ?

Have to go to the PO
    Later, Lou

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

The pink carnations are really pretty Kathleen. I bet that steak was good with the melting goat cheese mmm!

Well we had leftovers as well on Tuesday with crispy chicken bits, tuna and rice stuffed peppers. I also made a salad with egg, local tomatoes, feta, plenty of greens and avocado. Always make too much and so we finished it off in the evening at supper.
    Yesterday we were out for ham omelette with Canary potatoes for Wolf while I had chicken breast, chips and salad.

Tuesday's home salad:

Lou I hope you've figured out your disappearing photo problem.
    No deer or birds from me today but my Gruss an Aachen rose has put out some lovely flowers, with more on the way.

Today I'm roasting a little turkey breast in herbs and onion.

SharonCb (Old photos on My Nest)

• hawk307
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kathleen:
    Sharon:
    I have to run to the VA Hospital, 75 miles round trip.
    Maybe I'll hust walk.
    I will tell you later how lovly everything is.
    Where's Sol, Malna , Annie, Etc. Etc. !
    Later , Lou

• annie1992
    14 years ago

OK, I'm back. I've been avoiding this because I was afraid I'd have to see more deer, LOL. IT wouldn't be so bad if they were on a plate and what's for dinner. (grin)

OK, that's not why at all, but it was a good excuse.

Kathleen, Skybars taste like not-really-good, cheap chocolate. One piece has caramel filling, one has vanilla, one has chocolate and one has peanut butter. Not as good as a Caramello or a Reese's, either.

Now, what's for dinner? We had black bean soup and whole wheat sourdough one night, and I forgot to take pictures. Last night we had cornbread salad and pork loin and cheddar beer bread and I forgot to take pictures of that too, LOL.

I did get pictures of breakfast a few days ago, eggs over easy, butternut squash hashbrowns and hot homemade biscuits:

{{gwi:1523497}}

Monday Elery tried out his new smoker for the first time and we did some turkey thighs:

{{gwi:1523498}}

And some baby back ribs:

{{gwi:1523499}}

The ribs were perfect, not quite falling off the bone but nicely tender and with a sweet/spicy rub and smoked over apple wood:

We had them for supper with broccoli slaw and hot homemade corn bread (which is why we had cornbread salad later, LOL):

Since I had to renew my driver's license and get my annual license plates, we had quick supper on Tuesday of turkey salad made from the smoked turkey, and some collard greens that I canned last year.

Tonight we had salmon on the grill with maple glaze, some wild rice with fresh apricots and grilled asparagus and yellow squash.

{{gwi:1523502}}

Now I'm going to bed, I have a date with a salmon fisherman at 5:15 am tomorrow. I never give up, I'll figure out how to catch them eventually. Or Elery will, it doesn't matter as long as one of us can fill the smoker! (grin) I have a thermos ready for coffee and some sandwiches made with the remainder of the pork loin and the cheddar beer bread. We'll eat well even if we don't catch anything.

Annie

• hawk307
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I was waiting for someone to Post.

I'll have to do a catch up later. I'm beat from running around all day.

Tonight I had 2 pieces of Filet Mignon, wrapped with Bacon.
    Along with a Baked Potato with Butter and Garlic powder.
    Some Tomatoe slices w. Mayo.

The Filet was great but the " Cooter Rubb " brought it over the Top. ( Thanks to Cathy )

{{gwi:1523503}}
    Sharon, I'll have to send some to you.
    Do you have any Southern Style Canary Island Stores ?

You'll know them. They talk in Italian and greet you with,
    " Come Sta , Yau'll "
    They will probably have some " Cooter Rubb "

Later Everyone
    LOU

• malna
    14 years ago

Dinner has been boring lately (we've both been working late) - scrambled eggs are not terribly photo-worthy, IMO.

But Thursdays are CORE night here (Clean Out the Refrigerator - Ew!), so let's see:

We found a piece of grilled venison chuck roast, some leftover mashed potatoes, assorted bits of vegetables, a bunch of condiment bottles with about 1/4" of stuff in the bottom taking up one whole shelf on the door - so what to concoct?

How about Shepherd's Pie?

And the annual Spring Celebration of "No More Store Bought Lettuce" until winter!

I'm trying a few new varieties this year. One is called "Flashy Trout Back". I just love that name! Here it is in the garden a few weeks ago. Isn't it pretty?

• User
    14 years ago

So many wonderful meals and the one that I'm really craving is Lou's and Sharon's Chicken fingers. Although I wouldn't turn down Elery's smoked ribs or Lou's pasta and meatballs. Malna, do you have a bottom crust on your shepherd's pie? I've never made one with a bottom crust. What a great idea.

Lou, I love the pics of the deers, especially the babies. We have deer in our neighbourhood but thankfully they don't bother anything in my garden.

Yesterday was Moe's birthday. He put in a request for Beef Tenderloin Kabobs. I cut the meat in to nice big cubes and rubbed with garlic, rosemary, salt, pepper and little olive oil before heading off to work. His birthday dessert is always something with strawberries. This year it was the strawberry meringue roulade. The first thing I did when I got home from work was make the meringue and get it in the oven. This is one of those desserts that can be made from start to finish in less than an hour.

Served with zucchini sauted with garlic, tomatoes and fresh chopped basil.

• hawk307
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Annie:
    When I was younger the Sky Bars were good. I think they had 4 sections, one was a nouget.

That was a long time ago. They had Dinasaurs in the Phila. Zoo then.

Everything looks Great. Guess it's just the good Photo's.
    I'd better watch it or I'll be in trouble again ( yet )

I did something really easy.
    Bought a Stuffed Pork Chop, at the Deli section of our market.

No Photo's, because I ate it early
    but I made a 6 inch Pizza; later, Baked on the Stone.
    Some Parmesan and Provolone Cheese. Topped with Pepperoni.
    Side of Chicken Salad and fresh Tomatoes with Mayo.
    LOU

{{gwi:1523510}}

• Solsthumper
    14 years ago

Luigi, I'm still around, but I've been much too busy to post dinner pictures. I'll elaborate in an email as soon as I come up for air.
    Btw, your dinners are a feast for the eyes, as always.

Kathleen, your table would turn Martha S. green with envy!

Sharon, I would've never considered a salad 'sexy,' until you began posting your pictures.

Happy Birthday dear AB!

Sol

• hawk307
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sol:
    You know how to lay it on !!!
    The others are exciting, mine are boring but the taste is there.

Like tonights. Chicken again but then I love Chicken.
    Roasted at 350 for 2 1/4 hours.

I'm waiting for some large pieces of thin Sirloin, so
    I can make another " Surf and Turf Braciolle Roast"
    The last one was 6 lbs. Probably be the same.
    LOU

{{gwi:1523511}}

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

Lou, you've been cooking up a storm!

Annie, all your dinners looks delicious, I am partial to spare ribs, Marigene hates them, so I will take her share.

I will have to look for Sky Bars, never had them, but dh says he heard of them..

Ann, Moe's dinner looks delicious. The dessert, heavenly!
    If you ever had a bad case of Lyme Disease you would look at deer differently...our friend's little daughter has Bells Palsy in her face from a tic bite. And they are as big as a poppy seed, so hard to spot... But yes, they are pretty..We have way too many deer,

Sol, Martha has a home near here, as does Rachel, and Ina ..Carol tells me to look for Rachel in the EVOO aisle in the market..so far, no luck!

Malna, interesting lettuce! Happy end of store bought lettuce!

We had shrimp in lemon and wine sauce over linguine, and a blueberry cream tart for dessert..

Not as beautiful as Sharon's flowers..those roses look as pretty as her food pics...but my clematis look good this year...hope the deer don't eat them!

• dixiedog_2007
    14 years ago

All of the dinners look so good. I can't possibly acknowledge all of them as I am very behind. Thank you all for sharing as I love looking at the pictures and hearing what everyone has had.

I have no pictures to share:( but in the last few weeks we have had Shrimp Stir Fry with vegetables, meatloaf, Ribeyes on the grill, Chicken Picatta, Taco Salads, Brats on the grill, BBQ chicken on the grill, Stuffed Salmon, BBQ Boneless Pork chops, spaghetti and I'm sure I'm leaving some other stuff out. I got back to cooking (in a way) but so much happening with working on the estate, on the yard and finishing off a upgrading project that was going on when my Mom passed that I'm surprised that I am cooking.

Weather has been lovely here but lots of rain which is good and bad. My new trees and plants are loving it!

• annie1992
    14 years ago

No pictures, but I had fish and chips last night, my mother took me out to dinner for my birthday. Amanda and David came along with the kids and Ashley waited on us.

David had Mountain Dew and Jack Daniels and my mother had red wine, so the two of them had a great time for my birthday, LOL.

Today I made a batch of jam before I went to the farm, so breakfast was coffee but I made an egg salad sandwich when I came home. Elery's dog stayed with me because Elery only worked two shifts and is one his way back, so I made Pancho a grilled cheese sandwich for supper with Cheddar Beer bread and provolone cheese.

Annie

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Malna that lettuce is soooo cute!
    All the picture are so lovely and delicious looking. The kitchens on this board are really starting to crank up with the onset of summer produce.
    Annie what kind of jam did you make? I know I have to start thinking about strawberries but things are so darn hectic. I can never enjoy strawberry season. Being a teacher/camp director June is always a blurry hectic month. I have one week home and then I am taking a field course so I will be gone for a week. That week is the prime strawberry week. I dunno what I'm going to do!! I can't even get my house out of the grips of CHAOS, Can't Have Anyone Over Syndrome. I was sick with a debilitating cough for 5.5 weeks so I'm trying to dig out the house and yard, but it's like cleaning the Augean stables (esoeteric Greek mythology reference).

I made mostly onion things this weekend, including slow cooked onions and spaghetti with onions. I also made applesauce to use up some apples that I think I've had since Feb. in the fridge. I made applesauce gingerbread cake with some of the appleauce. It looks good but I haven't tried it yet. I also made an ill fated batch of rice pudding. I used short grain brown rice, and it took forever and ever to soften up. Next time I will precook it halfway in boiling water first.

• hawk307
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Kathleen:
    No table setting ?. I've been Posting to keep WFD out of Limbo.
    One time I had the Rescue Squad help.

Shrimp over Linguine !!!!! Now I know what I'm having tonight.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    Kathleen Sorry !!!!! Back from Dinner!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    The Chicken was so good last night, I ate the other Thigh
    and Leg, tonite. So no Shrimp!

I never had Chicken that Good. Not because I made it,
    It was just GOOD !!!

All I did was put it in the Roasting Pan, Sprinkle on some
    Cooter Rubb , Garlic & Onion Powder, Parsley Flakes,
    Salt & pepper,w. very little water.
    Roasted at 350Deg. for 2
    And that was the Chicken I bought in Walmart's at ,
    $5.67 for a 10 lb. bag.
    ( Almost 57 cents a pound )From Penna.!
    - - - - - - - - - - -

Do you have to keep the landscape like you set the table ?
    I saw one stone out of place on the Driveway.

I just about gave up on the flowers.
    but the Deer Spray is working.

These were just stubs last year. Have to remember to spray them every 3 or 4 days.

They didn't eat the Azalea's yet. There are still a lot of Flowers.

{{gwi:1523515}}

My Ghost Plants are still here

{{gwi:1523516}}

I don't know what these are. I think they are Lily's.
    Grew in the last 2 weeks from last year's Bulbs.

{{gwi:1523517}}

Now all I have to do is weed and put all the Stone back in place.

• coconut_nj
    14 years ago

Everyones food looks great! Kathleen your clematis is gorgeous. Hope those deer stay away from it too.

Last night was supposed to be the cabbage casserole but were busy outside so had some nice burgers on the grill with grilled onions on the side. We also grilled a few halves of merlitons and had the last of the potato salad and some baked beans.

Tonight we got around to the Stuffed Cabbage Casserole. Not the prettiest picture, but it was delicious and we have some dirty rice left over for some other dish this week... or as a side. I have quite a few frozen pepper halves so maybe a quick stuffed pepper one night.

We got the first strawberries from my friends farm stand. My strawberries aren't quite ripe yet. My black raspberries are thick on the vines but still small and green. The strawberries were gigantic. Made some strawberry shortcake using the last pieces of pound cake and some fresh whipped cream.

Forgot to say we also got a couple pounds of asparagus so I had a bit of it steamed to go with my casserole.

Stuffed Cabbage Casserole

• malna
    14 years ago

Everyone's dinners sound so good - I get so many great ideas. I forgot to reply to your question, Ann_T, about the bottom crust on the shepherd's pie. Yes, it does - another "clean out the freezer" thing. I had one, so we threw it in there along with all the other bits and pieces of leftovers LOL!

What a crazy weekend. Had DS, DIL and GD over on Saturday. Menu was supposed to be rotisserie chicken but, for some reason, that changed mid-afternoon so we had burgers and hot dogs on the grill.

Of course, the chicken (all 7-1/2 pounds of it) was already defrosted, so that was Sunday dinner.

Mind you, there are only two of us, and there was 7 pounds of leftover chicken...Monday night was a big pan of chicken enchiladas, which created more leftovers...this chicken ranks right up there with the the miracle of the loaves and fish. I swear there is more chicken now than there was on Sunday :-)

Last night, I said "No more chicken, please!" I had gotten a big bunch of asparagus, so we had a grilled chuck roast, asparagus and potatoes.

On the grill:

On the plate:

DH was laughing at me yesterday. Seems I have become the "critter sitter" here. Somebody left this in my flower garden all day:

and six of these in my vegetable garden (inside the fence):

I was seriously considering Hasenpfeffer for dinner, but they were too cute (and for once, they didn't eat anything). So I caught them and let them go, which I'm sure I will live to regret!

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Great photos everyone....Lou your chicken, Ann's birthday dinner for Moe, Kathleen's blueberry tart...and that clematis is beautiful! Coconut's cabbage casserole and Malna's asparagus....all delicious. Oh and your deer and bunnies Malna...I would melt if I found one of those in my garden!

I've been too busy to post the past few days, but we had a roast turkey breast ages ago, which ended up as turkey curry. But yesterday was a great adventure, as I drove up the volcano with friends and we met up with the Warner Bros. film crew as they were filming the new version of Clash of the Titans.
    Ohmigosh...do those people ever need a lot of trucks, vans, trailers, equipment and people!!!!
    They have taken over one lane of the road at the top of the volcano with their stuff and the little govenment hotel at the top is now the centre of a sea of white trailers and cabins.
    I will try and post some pics I took of that over on Conversations.

My friends took me to a lovely little restaurant....in the highest village of all Spain! Yes the air was clear and we sat under a grape arbour....couldn't have been more picturesque. And up there are seas of pink rock roses in bloom, white and yellow broom, fields of giant buttercups, California poppies, yellow roses, masses of geraniums hanging over walls.
    It was a beautiful trip and the sky was such an intense blue up at the top!

They ate goat and rabbit and I ate chicken. Wolfram decided not to come with us as it's such a long, hot drive and he prefers to stay home where it's quiet and cool.
    Here are some pics of where and what we ate:

1. Entering the small patio restaurant
    2. The view under the grape arbour where we sat.
    3. Salad, bread and wine arrives.
    4. A dish of stewed goat (not mine).
    5. The amazing red tajinaste flower, endemic only to the top of this volcano is now in bloom.

I'm posting a slideshow of my photos taken there over on Conversations, including the Warner Bros. crew filming a scene up there on the mountain. See you there.

SharonCb

• User
    14 years ago

Oh Sharon, what a beautiful setting. I'd be very happy with the goat, the rabbit or the chicken.

Ann

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Thanks Ann....yes I sometimes eat goat and rabbit, and used to cook rabbit with onion quite often some years ago. My main interest was in the surroundings there, it was so bucolic.
    I swore I would build one of those simple grape arbours in my back yard as soon as I got home LOL. Somehow sitting under a retractable canvas awning just doesn't have the same charm.
    They are common here and as at this place, they're made with metal pipes put together to form the frame.

Yesterday I POOFED chicken wing drumsticks (chicken again....that was the first thing I could see in the freezer) and rather than oven cook them, I put them into my clay cazuela with vegetables, garlic, tomato etc. and made a chicken stew. I love those simple one-pot dinners, and there's some leftover for today with salad and wine.

Roses are blooming now as they've never done before.
    La Sevillana, Sonia, Iceberg.

SharonCb

• User
    14 years ago

Sharon, I love all the clay dishes you have. That stew looks so rich.

A couple of our meals this week:

Tuesday Night - Grilled Pork Chops

Thursday night I roasted a chicken and made Toasted Club House Sandwiches

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Glad to see this back on page one - thanks Ann!
    Your dinners always look good. I would love a toasted club house sandwich like that one.

We've been eating from the fridge since weather is hot but we went to a little place near home on Friday and sat outside on the patio.

Wolf had tortellini in Gorgonzola cream sauce (my favourite dish at this place) and I took a prawn cocktail.
    Oh my gosh they really loaded it up with sauce, but I managed to mix it into the salad below....no calories of course! :-0
    The prawns were fresh and there were a lot of them.

When the weather's chilly we sit indoors at this pleasant little restaurant.

Have a good Sunday everyone!

Sharoncb

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Ashley has my camera, so no pictures, and not much worth taking pictures of anyway.

We had supper at the restaurant/bowling alley where she works last night. The kids had pizza, Dave had a burger, Amanda had a quesadilla. I passed and just had diet coke.

Friday night I have leftover ribs from the freezer, and Thursday I had a burger because I had a free coupon for my birthday.

Thursday night I had crab cakes, of course, no picture.

Today the kids are with me, they spent the night last night. We had pancakes and bacon for breakfast and are on our way to the park to play.

And it's not nearly as pretty here as it is in Sharon's photos, it's overcast sand I'm hoping for rain.

Annie

• mer4205
    14 years ago

Hello all!

I made a little paella - Italian style - sauted some 3 slices of pancetta - cut up and 2 cloves of minced garlic in 1 teaspoon of olive oil and 1 teaspoon of butter - added 1 cup of risotto rice, 1/4 cup of white wine = some salt and pepper(and red pepper flakes to taste) and 1 1/2 cup of boiling water(with a good pinch of saffron) - I let this simmer for about 10 minutes and then added about 1 cup 1/2 of raw shrimp and 1 cup of peas. Covered and simmered until everything was cooked and rice tender but slightly al dente. So this with a nice salad and a glass of white wine... - maria

• annie1992
    14 years ago

The grandkids were here yesterday so breakfast was bacon and waffles, and dinner was at Burger King. LOL

I went to the farm to shovel calf pens and check the garden and everything is growing as it should. I had a couple of very small and mild fresh radishes as dessert!

Annie

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer