SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lydia1959

DSL and phone problems.. need help!

lydia1959
14 years ago

We've been having phone and dsl problems for about a week. It started when there was a problem with the line on the highway nearby. Since then we have spurts of service and all of the phones have become static-y.

Originally the dsl light would flash with no internet light at all. Now (after the centurytel tech came over today) the dsl light is steady and the internet light flashes. He checked all the filters and said they were good. He thinks the problem is the computer... but why all the static on the phone lines?

I've changed the phone cord, tried hooking my old laptop directly to the modem (I may have done it wrong cause it didn't work), the tech said his computer worked on our modem. I wasn't home when the tech guy came DH was and he is much less computer literate than I am.

So... if the problem is the computer why all the phone static?

Why did the problem start with a main line not in my house?

When we were troubleshooting DH did put a loose red wire in the outside box with another red wire. Could we be shorting something? The tech didn't even look into the box.

Any ideas??? I am at the library so unless you post within the next half hour or so, I won't see your reply till tomorrow. Thanks.

Comments (12)