SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
etbrown4

Lipitor $4 co-pay? Maybe Not. So Beware

etbrown4
12 years ago

Possibly some can get Lipitor for $4, but with my Anthem Insurance, my cost through CVS is now a $51 ripoff.

This scheme is so tricked up, it boggles the mind. According to my CVS pharmacy, when the patent expired and the $4 co-pay started, Pfizer DOUBLED the price of Lipitor.

So here's the trick. They say they are giving you $50 off, but it is apparently $50 off of the new doubled price. With Anthem, my copay is now more than $51, so I and others with Anthem (and likely lots of other insurers) now have to PAY MORE than we ever paid in the past. Ironically, I can still get Crestor for $25 with their loyalty card, so you can guess what I will do!

It sure seems that Pfizer thinks consumers have no choices, are stupid, and won't be able to figure this out. Wrong!

To add insult to injury Pfizer has apparently bought off many pharmacy chains requiring them to not sell generic Lipitor, in trade for perks or rebates they will receive - according to a lawsuit recently filed by a pharmacy which did not agree to Pfizer's terms. The source for this is Courthouse News http://www.courthousenews.com/2011/11/08/41276.htm

The lawsuit states that Pfizer is effectively trying to extend the patent of Lipitor by forcing the generics out of the market in the US - so that if you want Lipitor or generic Lipitor you will have no choice, at least in the near term

I'm no lawyer but this sure stinks to high heaven. I would be surprised if the FTC does not get involved as this sure seems as if it may be illegal, and as if it may be an unlawful restraint of free trade.

Greed is not good - no matter what the movies say. Pigs get fat, but Hogs get slaughtered.

Comments (7)