SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dpjones_gw

Need reasonable ballpark idea about replacing 2 complete systems

15 years ago

We bought a house that was built in 1984 two years ago. The original HVAC units are still in the house and seemed to work fine and have been maintained and checked. We always knew that there would come a time to replace the units and that time might be now.

Basically, I have one unit that just had a compressor motor failure and the replacement and repair will be about $395 for the unit and installation. I live in Georgia where hot is the story pretty much for 6 months of the year.

My question is what would be considered a reasonable price. We are getting quotes and the first one that came in was as follows for two complete units (AC/Furnace):

TRANE XR14 (Heat Pump)

SEER 14.25~15, HSPF 9.0

3-Ton Coil

XR-80 Furnace 80K BTU

Programmable Thermostat (to deal with Heat Pump function)

HEPA 16x25 Air Cleaner

My opening quote for two of these units is $6660 each for a total of $13320. (Of course this includes removal of old equipment etc.)

I have been reading various figures from people in the forum and it seems like this is probably about $3000 too high, but just not sure.

While I wait to get additional quotes and melt since one compressor is down, any ideas on whether this is reasonable?

Comments (6)