SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
downsouth_gw

New system - what could be wrong?

downsouth
13 years ago

This past Friday the company we hired finished installing an American Standard heat pump and air handler. We also had two attic ventilators installed. Since this is our first house with our first heat pump, I'll list exactly what they installed from their invoice: a 4 ton variable speed air handler with 4 ton 16 Seer two stage heat pump. New return air box and new auxiliary drain pan w/ float switch. Leak checked and vacuumed lineset.

We have no idea what any of this means, except the system is supposed to work for thousands of dollars spent! This is a home we are moving to in about two weeks (been moving over boxes the last month) to be our retirement home. Today was our first day there with the new system installed. When the guys left yesterday, he said it would take it "awhile" to start cooling. Today, we put the thermostat on 76 and for the entire day, from 10:30 a.m. until we left at 6 p.m., it wouldn't drop below 81 degrees.

When we called the company, the owner answered. He is sending someone out in the morning to check the unit. He called back about an hour later and said it was because it's so hot outside....huh? A new system that won't go below 81 degrees? Our son lives 2 miles away and their house is very comfortable and set at 76 degrees. They also have a heat pump and it's working fine in this hot heat. Could you have not put in enough freon? Our son was there all day helping install the dishwasher, etc. and he said something is definitely wrong, as there's no cool air coming out of the vents.

The house is 1750 square feet and we got a 4 ton unit as we are enclosing the garage.

Any ideas on what could be wrong? The fan is set on "Auto" on the thermostat. We also tried lowering it to 74 degrees and tried it at 80 degrees. When we left, we left it on 78 degrees but the inside temperature was still reading 81. One time during the day it even jumped to 82 degrees.

Will post tomorrow when the guy comes. I hope he doesn't tell us again it's because of the Georgia heat when I know darn well my son's unit is working fine and this new one should be working even better.

Bill

Comments (21)