SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenredo2_gw

Don't Ever Say: What Else Could Go Wrong??

kitchenredo2
14 years ago

We are almost done with our renovation. We should be done, but that isn't going to happen any time soon...

When the contractors replaced the windows in the 3 original bedrooms of the house (we were not doing any other work in these rooms), the wood they used for the extension jams had been sitting outside in the elements for months. Guess what - when you leave wood outside in the snow and rain, mold grows on it. When they put them in I saw this black stuff on one and mentioned it to my contractor. He told me it was dirt. I, thinking that since he's the contractor he must be right about this, believed him. The mold remediation company will be here on Monday to seal the rooms, remove the moldy wood, see if there is additional mold, clean the room and scrub the air.

The contractors removed the cardboard they had on top of my soapstone countertops. I have found numerous scratches and dings in my soapstone! I realize it is not as hard as granite. And that one of the good things about soapstone is that it can be sanded. But this is driving me nuts! My DH says not to worry, but some of the dings are pretty deep (I can't imagine what they dropped or did in order to do this damage - I probably don't want to know).

I also found out today that they scratched the bottom of the stainless steel sink (luckily the prep sink is okay). I am hoping I can get the scratches out with Barkeepers Friend (thanks to another great thread on this forum).

The final surprise of the day is that my Samsung FD refrigerator was delivered!!!! That's the good news. The bad news is that it is sitting in the middle of my kitchen. Why? Did I decide to drastically change my layout at the last minute? No, it doesn't fit in the cabinet the KD ordered. Yes, it is a 36" cabinet, but as some of you know, this Samsung is on the big side and there's that pesky little detail about needing space around the refrigerator so that air can circulate. I called the GC (he thought I was joking) and have left a message for the KD. Luckily I have a 6" spacer to the left of the fridge so they can order a larger cabinet for my fridge.

Why do I have a feeling that I am never going to be done with this.......

Comments (3)