SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
joshua_terry24

Vertical Tower Problems. Could you help find what I'm doing wrong?

Joshua Terry
8 years ago

I'm going to apologize up front if this runs long, I will try to be as succinct as possible while providing enough pertinent information. There will also be links in this post to various Amazon items. There is no intention to market to you, I just wanted to be able to point to exactly what I used. I'll be honest in that I am feeling very defeated and downtrodden right now. I am sincerely hoping someone will have some advice on what I am doing wrong.

Current Situation

I appear to dealing with a form of root rot in my Hydro Strawberry tower. I have never encountered it in my totes but I always encounter it in the tower. Here is my most current setup after the changes I made last night, in the hopes that it would make some kind of difference.

This is the Tower

This is the second crop of strawberries I tried so I recognized the symptoms early for root issues. Last night I pulled the net cups from the tower and discovered the following.

Last night I:

• Removed dead material, soaked in Peroxide solution for a few minutes and rinsed thoroughly each plant.
  • Added Great White to roots of each plant and replaced net cup and hydroton.
  • Added a collar around each plant to further block light (pic below)
  • Changed pump timer cycle from 15min on / 15 min off to 15 on / 30 off, reasoning that they may be too wet.
  • Replaced an air stone that wasn't functioning well.
  • Keeping Reservoir temperature under 65

After

I'm not sure how to stop it because I'm not sure what could be causing it. Given the temperature, light, & beneficial bacteria etc I really thought this wouldn't be a problem this time. I've made numerous changes since I started this several months ago but nothing seems to make a difference. I'll include history of changes in a follow up reply.

Can I beat this before it kills them and prevent it in the future or am I better off tossing them all and calling it quits at this point?

Comments (3)