SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
alr929

--AC not working on second floor--

alr929
13 years ago

First floor's AC is on and kicking, but there is nothing coming out of my upstairs vents. I checked the unit, everything looks fine. I'm thinking it's a problem in the ducts. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• ryanhughes
    13 years ago

When did this start? One system for the whole house?

• david_cary
    13 years ago

Ducts don't often have all of a sudden problems. They are often inadequate but don't change all that much. Sure they can get a little dusty over time and kinking with flex duct is possible. The other possibility is that a connection develops a big leak but unless this is in an area that you could accidently kick it - it doesn't happen very often.

The biggest question is 1 system or 2. Then - do you have access to the dampers?

• shoelvr
    13 years ago

I have this problem and it got worse when we replaced the old ball and chain windows with energy efficient.

I think the old windows acted as our return, since we found we don't have one upstairs! Is that crazy or what? Talk about cutting corners! Even stranger it passed home inspection when I bought.

We changed a 10 year old furnace and air conditioner thinking it would help and it didn't..only made it louder.

It helps us to turn up the air and close some downstairs vents. Hope you find the problem.