SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
caflowerluver

I am worried about my 90YO Mom.

caflowerluver
15 years ago

I just got a call last night from my sister who lives with her. My Mom fell and broke her leg in 2 places Sunday night. She was in the hospital till today, when they are transferring her to a short term nursing home. They decided not to do surgery to put pins in because of her age and health problems.

She has always been quiet, demure and the sweetest person you could meet. Since she has learned she is going into a nursing home she has had a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde personality change. She always wanted to die in her own bed at home. She keeps ripping out her IV's and even her catheter. She is yelling at everyone and being uncooperative. That is so not like her, but the opposite. I am afraid she will get depressed and give up because it looks like she will now be in a wheelchair and in a permanent assisted care home from now on.

I am afraid that with her state of mind she will go the way of her brother who died last Oct 10th. He fell and broke his hip the end of Aug., became depressed and declined. I know it had an effect on her because I had noticed a subtle change in her since then. It was her last surviving sibling and they were very close. She keeps telling the nurses to leave her alone and let her die in peace.

I would fly out today and try to help except for a couple of reasons. I think my sister is handling it well and there is not much more I could do. And there is the cost factor because of DH's layoff. But I would spend whatever if I thought it would help.

Just not sure what to do and can't shake this worry and saddness. With all the bad things happening lately I just want to crawl into a corner and cry. I haven't been this depressed for a very long time. I feel like I am spiraling downward, that my life is out of my control. Even my dog can't cheer me up so I know it is bad.

Just needed to get it off my chest. Thanks for listening.

Clare

Comments (27)