SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
codeslinger

Please give advice on Trane XL16i quote

codeslinger
15 years ago

Hello,

I have 2 companies that are quoting me installation of 2 Trane XL16i systems including replacing ductwork that is fairly accessible from the basement. I know that it is not easy to pin down a price due to extenuating circumstances but am trying to get a rough idea if this is fair or not. This home is approximately 2700' on 3 levels and is in the Asheville, NC zone 7 area. Front half of the home has a southwest exposure with a fair amount of glass. One installer is bidding two 2 ton systems and the other a 2 ton and a 3 ton but I will deal with that separate by examining their manual J and D calculations so please assume two 2 ton systems for now.

Quotes range from $23,200 [the 2 and 3 ton] to $27,200 [the two 2 ton] and include:

- two 2 ton XL16i (4TWX6024) units

- two 4TEE3F31 VS air handlers

- two 8 KW heat strips

- two sets new copper lines

- two Honeywell 9000 thermostats (supposedly exact same as Vision Pro AIQ thermostat)

- two Clean Effects (TFD215ALAH000A) air cleaners

- two condensate pumps and pans

- uninstall and haul off of 2 old A/C and oil systems and some old ductwork (nothing done to oil tank)

- 10 year parts and 2 years labor

- new metal trunks and flex runs for about 75 % of the house and rest we will tie into existing as it cannot be accessed since behind sheet rock. This includes 15 new supplies and 6 returns not counting 6 of the not accessible supplies which will be reused by connecting to their main trunk.

Questions (just need ball park answers or a general $ range)

1. How much extra for a XL16i compared to a XL15i?

2. How much extra for a 3 ton XL16i compared to a 2 ton XL16i?

3. How much extra to have a separate zone to a 400' area off one of the systems if ductwork already in place? In other words, one system would be a 2 zone system.

4. Will the Trane rebate give back $800 for an XL16i w/ Clean Effects starting August 28th?

5. Does the Clean Effects still present a fire hazard? See http://www.esasafe.com/pdf/Recall_Notices/RCL07-41.pdf Or do they only start fires in Canada?

6. How much should an upgrade from 2 year to 10 year labor cost?

7. Roughly how much to run ductwork per return or a supply?

Thanks so much,

Dave

Comments (15)