SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
frugger_gw

Advice on New Trane Quote

Frugger
11 years ago

House is located in central Virginia (Charlottesville). House (and all systems) are 3 years old.

All exterior walls and roof are spray foam insulated. The house is 3 stories (finished),

sits on a conditioned crawl space and has the following HVAC:

1st Floor: 1519 Sq Ft.

Goodman 1.5 Ton / 13 Seer Air Conditioning Goodman 45,000 BTU /

1200CFM Gas Furnace

2nd Floor: 1431 Sq Ft.

3rd Floor: 690 Sq Ft.

Goodman 2.0 Ton 14 SEER 24,000 BTU AC/Heat Pump with electric damper.

The problem I'm having is that during the summer the first floor will not cool below

75F. Granted for the last week the temperatures here have been between 100F - 106F, but

during the hot & humid summers here 75F is as low as it will get during the day (and I

work from home). My neighbors on both sides of me have the exact same HVAC systems and

their homes are also 3 stories, but smaller square footage. They both have 2 Ton systems

for the first floor and 2.5 & 3 Ton for the 2nd/3rd floors. I had a local contractor come

out and give me a quote for the following Trane system to replace the 1st Floor:

1st Floor:

Heat Pump: 4TWZ0024A1

Coil: 4TWZ0024A1

Furnace: TUHMB060ACV3VA

Thermostat: XL 950

2 TON

17.5 SEER

OTHER:

LINESET

REDUCE TRUNK LINE AFTER 20 FEET IN CRAWL

CONDENSATE DRAIN AND REFRIGERANT PIPING

NEW EQUIPMENT CONNECTION TO EXISTING DUCT

NEW SUPPLY OUTLETS

ELECTRICAL CONNECTIONS TO EXISTING SOURCE

Cost: $14,641.00 (This is after a 20% discount from $18,301.00)

Since I was having the 1st Floor replaced I thought I'd get a quote for the 2nd/3rd Floor so the HVAC would be matched. These

floors are ok and never really have a problem heating or cooling, but I was curious to see what

it would run (might be more energy efficient and save me some money).

2nd / 3rd Floor:

Heat Pump: 4TWZ0024A1

Air Handler: TAM8AOB30V21

Aux Heater: BAYEVAC10BK

Thermostat: XL 950

Other: Trane Zone

2 Ton

19 Seer

Cost: $16,089.00 (This is after a 20% discount from $20,111.00)

I think the first floor is undersized, so I'll probably need to upgrade. Any thoughts on the equipment specified and more importantly the cost? Seems a bit nuts to me after seeing what other people are being quoted for systems. I'd really appreciated any insight or advice.

Thanks!

Comments (10)