SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellyeng

Make-Ahead Thanksgiving Dishes

kellyeng
12 years ago

I always cook the day of. I wake up at the crack of dawn and am totally exhausted after dinner is over. Because the week before Thanksgiving is one of my busiest for work, I want to see how many things I can get done over the weekend.

I made the gravy today and it is probably the best I've ever made. I bought some turkey breasts and necks and made stock with the necks and roasted the breasts for dinner tonight. I then reserved the drippings for the breasts. I put the gravy in the freezer and then will thaw the day of.

Since that was so successful, I really want to make whatever I can. I'm going to set the table this weekend, make pie crusts, cranberry sauce, icebox cracker dough and spiced nuts.

What else can I do? What about stuffing? Will it freeze? I'm also making a squash lasagna (in the latest M. Stewart mag) and would love to make and freeze as well. What about the lemon curd for a tart? Freeze or refrigerate? Will it last?

I'm a very good cook but I really don't know much about make-ahead cooking. If it works out, this could open up a whole new way of cooking for me.

Comments (18)