SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gw_oakley

Tell me what you know about Pink Eye

Oakley
12 years ago

Our family is having a major (but fun) discussion about where our pink eye orginated. I've looked on the web and there really is no definitive answer. Several suggestions are:

allergies

bacterial/viral

smoke

dryness which causes dry eyes

Highly contagious

Here's what's going on. Two weeks ago the grandkids stayed with me and dh for the day while their parents went out on a date. We lit our first fire in the FP that morning. It's a big FP so of course there's going to be a tad bit of smoke but nothing really noticeable.

When GS left, his eyes were starting to get goopy. Next day he had pink eye.

A week later, dh lit another fire, but forgot to open the flue. lol. Lots of smoke in the house.

A couple of days later dh came down with pink eye.

Tonight my right eye is gooping and tearing up. That doesn't mean I have it though since I do have allergies.

Our son said GS got pink eye at our house. I called b.s. on that. lol. DH thinks we got it from our dog, Boone. He loves going to the pasture and eating cow pies. :) When dh stopped to talk to the neighbor the other day our neighbor said, "Yep, dogs will give you pink eye from eating cow pies." Again, I called b.s. on that. But cattle DO get pinkeye though. So do dogs, but Boone doesn't have it.

If Boone IS a carrier, then why haven't we gotten it before? I rub him constantly, I kiss his cheeks constantly and if I'm sleeping he sneaks up on me and gives me a gentle kiss with his tongue. :)

GS does not go to a daycare, he's with a private babysitter so he didn't get it from other kids. My gut tells me both guys got it from the FP, and now I'm coming down with it.

BUT...I couldn't find out how long one catches pink eye after being exposed. I can see DH getting it a week later, and now a week later my eye is messing up. But for GS to be exposed at our house that day and leave 5 hours later with pink eye? Nah.

Thoughts?

Comments (8)