SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnibel7

Tell Me Everything You Know About Row Covers

sunnibel7 Md 7
13 years ago

Halt! This is an informational stick up! Give me all you know about row covers or the broccoli gets it!

Sorry, something about how I wrote the subject made me think that... Okay, seriously now. Next year will be the first "real" season of my garden here at the new house. We have big plans for it. So, for the first time I'm thinking of using row covers, since it will matter more whether we get a harvest. I've done a little reading, but would like to hear from all of you who use them or ahve in the past!

We're thinking of going the dyi route and putting together our own. Having the season extended isn't a priority now so much as damage prevention. I would like to exclude some of the more obnoxious insect pests like cabbage moths and crickets (end of summer when they are in huge numbers). Is there a cheap(er) alternative to the agro-fabric? Do light-weight, breathable fabrics deter deer and rabbits? What's the best method for attaching the cover? My rows are already set up so that they alternate 3 feet of bed with 3 feet of cover-crop. It seems likely that 3-ft wide hoops will be rather short (around 18 inches?), is it possible to bend the tube with a little extra on each end to make them taller? What crops have you found most useful to cover? Like I'm thinking garlic probably isn't really a candidate, cole crops are.

Well, those are the questions I come up with, but there's probably more to know... So thanks for helping me grow as a gardener! (Yikes, someone must have spiked my tea this morning with "terrible humour" pills or something.)

Cheers!

Sunni

Comments (17)