SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bookert_gw

Persil users do you still like this product?

bookert
15 years ago

Looking at amazons website, I couldn't help but ck out the vast asst. of laundry detergents/soaps available.

Persil is listed and although not many reviews, most were favorable.

I have an Oasis TL HE machine and wonder if it would be worth considering to use in this unit??

I love trying new products even though there is NO need to do so. Why? Obsession?, not admittedly but I'm sure I'm not alone on this forum! :)

Thanks for sharing in detail!

Comments (57)

• homepro01
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Any store that sells Miele vacuum cleaners will also sell Persil.

Good luck!

• bookert
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cedelchef,
    I'm glad you posted, I'm on the fence, but barely now!
    What type of machine to do use??

jonsgirl,
    I change the setting to a warm wash on all of my cycles and use vinegar in the rinse cycle. I do hot washes on occassion as well. No problems with shrinkage etc.. I haven't noticed it dispensing in the wash cycle, but I will try to remember and look next time and let you know.
    I don't like TIDE due to the overpowering scent and in addition I itch from it. No problems with other detergents I use including the Ariel Bajaesuma HE that has a big scent, but doesn't bother my nose like TIDE.
    I use Ecover fabric softener on occassion and used to love love love Downey Lavender scented FS until I decided to cut back on using FS.

czechchick,
    I have noticed your other posts and the fact that you went back to Persil. Must be good especially since your bf has skin issues. Are you still using soap nuts? I haven't tried them yet.

aprivitera,
    What type of machine do you use?? If I were to get one kind, what would you recommend? I have a HE TL machine.

homepro01,
    I will have to call around to see if any local store sells Miele vacuums. Thanks.

Anyone have knowledge of a store in the Temecula area of California that may have it????

Thanks so much everyone, feel free to continue to comment!

• Related Discussions

Induction users - do you ever need or want a radiant burner?

Q

Comments (31)
    I used induction for over a year (Miele 36" cooktop). I moved to Seattle and the home I am renting (and leaving) has a Kitchen Aid 6 burner gas cooktop. I hate it. I cannot get a true simmer and had to buy an induction hob. No one should be using a round wok to stir fry, so that is not an issue. Check America's Test Kitchen results on using a wok. For me gas totally sucked. It takes forever to boil water - over 10 minutes compared to On gas, I have two size "burners". Smaller flame or wider flame. You have to put it on high to cover your pan for even heating then everything burns, so you have to keep it small. On induction, you just match the pan to the ring size and everything is perfect - very low simmer to fast boiling. Induction also conducts up the sides of the pot and the handles don't get hot. I have to use a pot holder just to stir food with gas. Making Bernaise without a double boiler is a snap. Plus the sauce thickens better getting heat from the sides at the same temperature as the bottom. Maybe other gas ranges are better, compared to this crappy Kitchen Aid (the DW, Wall Ovens, & Fridge also suck). Renting new home in a couple months.
    ...See More

BS & CC users: How do YOU clean your cast iron grates?

Q

Comments (9)
    Like mojavean states, the grates are coated with a porcelain enamel, almost a glass like substance. It will wear, and it might be susceptible to attack by "some" of the stronger dishwashing detergents that have potassium or sodium hydroxide in them. I quote one sentence from Wikipedia under the topic 'dishwasher'-"glass dissolves slowly in alkaline aqueous solution."... you can read the article yourself. I mentioned before, it's like the porcelain coating on French cast iron ovens, such as Le Creuset and Staub. Having said that, it would probably take years to have much of an effect. Still, I would rather have the bottom of my pans wear out this coating. The grates will take a seasoning, you just wipe them with the smallest amount of oil, and turn the burner back on. Some oils smoke less than others, refined light olive oil is good, this seasoning may burn off and stick to the bottom of your expensive copper pan, especially if it's a fresh seasoning....otherwise, not a problem, and in fact it probably protects the porcelain from wear. The big thing with cast iron, even porcelain cast iron, is to keep it dry. Sometimes you'll see a light 'bloom' of rust on it, just wipe it off. But if rust gets under the porcelain, it will lift it off and chip it. To clean, I use an almost dry scrubby sponge, and leave the bowls on the cooktop. If I spill a mess of flour, or manage to make a complete mess, I do take the bowls to the sink and rinse them there.
    ...See More

Israeli Persil anyone? If not, where to buy Persil?

Q

Comments (15)
    oregpsnow said: You are certainly free to buy whatever you want. I am putting the money I don't spend on Persil into my retirement account. LOL! Believe it or not, I was a big proponent of Tide HE over Persil a few years ago. I even said the exact same thing you did - that people are crazy for spending so much on a detergent when they should be saving that money and putting into their IRA or 401(k)s. How well are all of our retirement accounts doing today, those of us who have anything left in them? I switched to Persil due to the fact that it cleans as well or better than Tide HE, the de facto leading domestic detergent, but doesn't cause skin irritation. My partner developed a sensitivity to Tide, and nothing else that I tried comes close to cleaning as well except for Persil. Bi-O-Kleen Premium does a good job, but it also lacks certain ingredients that prevent corrosion. I don't know if that's a big deal or not, so I'm proceeding cautiously in this regard. I don't want to use something that is not going to properly protect the metal parts of my washer, but then I don't even know if that's an issue at all. I had a choice of using a more sensitive detergent that didn't clean as well but also did not cause irritation, or using Persil which gave me the best of all worlds but at a higher cost. I chose the latter because I want clean clothes without itching. Persil Universal Megaperls contains five different enzymes to assist with stain removal, which I believe is more than most domestic products. Here is list comparing ingredients from Persil and Tide HE: Tide HE: Sodium Aluminosilicate Sodium Sulfate Sodium Carbonate Linear Alkylbenzene Sulfonate Water Nonanoyloxybenzenesulfonate Alkyl Sulfate Sodium Percarbonate Sodium Polyacrylate Polyethylene Glycol 4000 Fragrance Diethylenetriamine Pentaacetate (Sodium Salt) Disodium Diaminostilbene Disulfonate Palmitic Acid Protease Silicone Modified Starch ÃÂ Persil Megaperls: ZEOLITE SODIUM CARBONATE PEROXIDE SODIUM DODECYLBENZENESULFONATE TAED AQUA (WATER) SODIUM LAURYL SULFATE SODIUM CARBONATE SODIUM SULFATE SODIUM CITRATE 2-PROPYLHEPTAN-1-OL, 7EO SODIUM ACRYLIC ACID/MA COPOLYMER SULFONATED POLYETHYLENE TEREPHTHALATE CELLULOSE GUM PEG-80 ZEA MAYS (CORN) STARCH ALCOHOLS, C16-18, 7EO TETRASODIUM ETIDRONATE SODIUM SOAP C16-18 SODIUM BICARBONATE PERFUME CORN FLOUR HEPTASODIUM DTPMP PARAFFIN SODIUM CHLORIDE C12-18 FATTY ALCOHOL 5 EO SODIUM HYDROXIDE OPTICAL BRIGHTNER SODIUM GLYCOLATE PEG-14M COLORANT HYDRATED SILICA PROTEASE HEXYL CINNAMAL LINALOOL BENZYL SALICYLATE LIPASE AMYLASE MANNANASE CELLULASE
    ...See More

Duvet users - how do you iron them?

Q

Comments (20)
    Lizzie...if your going to use a spray starch..I have found Faultless Heavy works well. A few tips...spray starch can cause flaking, I've found after you spray wait 10 seconds before hitting it with the iron, you'll get less flaking.. Also if you re spray and re iron a second time you will get a really beautiful smooth and crisp finish. All starches are not created equil so you may have to play around a bit. and for super starched things you can use a liquid starch in the washer and a spray starch lol.
    ...See More
  • czechchick2
    15 years ago

bookert, the soap nuts just didn't work for me. Too much hassle to fiddle w/ little bags. It didn't do nothing to our laundry. The liquid didn't make it better either. Maybe it/s just our hard water, maybe it is me.And I didn't like the fact I have to look for the tiny nut bag to remove it before putting clothes in dryer. I tried to save money by using different things like ading baking soda, borax or dishwashing powder to my loads to make it whiter. It all worked but I ended up w/ several boxes lined up on the shelve and it drove me nuts.So I went back to Persil. One box nothing else and vinegar in rinsing.My BF never had any reaction to Persil either so we are staying w/it.

• jonsgirl
    15 years ago

"And I didn't like the fact I have to look for the tiny nut bag"

ok, Am I the only 12 year old here? lololol

• aprivitera
    15 years ago

In response to bookert, I have a Bosch 500 Plus series pair (champagne/white dual color ones). They are excellent now that I've finally figured out how to perfectly level them with all four feet supporting equal weight--next to zero vibration or noise. They do a great job of washing, but with Persil, even better. Hope this helps.

• bookert
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So... what ingredients do the Persil makers add to make them so superior to ours???? I've also read that the German made Persil is much better. Is that what is offered online?

I feel crazy drooling over a detergent, forgive me.

What other non US detergents do you like??
    If money were no object would you use it exclusively?
    I will attempt to buy some locally so I can see if the smell from the pkg. bothers my nose. =)

I very much appreciate all of your posts, thank you!

• cedelchef
    15 years ago

Bookert,
    I have a Miele machine.The 4840. It is amazing! I hope that helps you.

• jonsgirl
    15 years ago

On another website (automaticwasher.org) they were talking about finding a new form of Oxydol (liquid) at Big Lots. I stopped there last night to smell it and ended up buying a bottle, it smells so good. These are different bottles of Oxydol than what I find at the grocery store. It smells like vintage laundry soap if that makes sense...fresh and clean, not overly sweet. They had two kinds, the green bottle which I got and a maroon bottle that was something fruity and gross.
    It is not an HE detergent, but the instructions say for HE machines to just use 1/2 the regular amount. For once I am completely caught up on my laundry so I'll have to post later how it does...

• buffalotina
    15 years ago

I have a Bosch Axxis washing machine which I have had for 5 years. Have used liquid Tide HE for most of that time but it just wasn't getting the clothes clean, most particularly DH complained bitterly that his sweaty gym kit still smelled after washing. Six months ago I switched over completely to Persil - separate ones for the whites and the color version for colors. NIGHT AND DAY!!!! I am still only about half way through each box that I started 6 months ago so I think the cost is well worth it. I only use a maximum of 1 coffee scoop (2 tablespoons per load), dpending on the soil level. I cannot emphasize what a difference the use of persil has made to my laundry. To save money I am using Ecovantage for my linens and towels - it is unscented and I think I don't need the luxury of persil except for our clothes. For woolens and delicates I use Perwoll - though the powder version now seems to be unavailable. I am still using a big box of the powder I bought ages ago but I suppose I will have to swtich to the liquid when it runs out.

Try Persil and you will be amazed. I was all ready to trade in my Bosch for a Miele to see if that would wash better, but Persil saved the day.

YMMV,

Tina

• bookert
    Original Author
    15 years ago

buffalotina,

Thank you for your post! I actually went on a search today to buy Persil locally and had no luck, yet.

I'm glad you were able to find a solution and not have to spend the money on a new machine, at least not until you REALLY need to.

I have turned my cold water intake lever down to 1/2 and notice I'm getting better results on the warm wash temp. The glass steams up and the lid is quite warm too.
    Since I don't have a heater, maybe this technique will be an advantage when I finally get some Persil to try out.

• jonsgirl
    15 years ago

Just to report back on the Oxydol, I used it last night, it did great. I didn't bother to cut back on the amount, I was washing a huge load of dirty towels, I used a full cap, there were NO suds. Also, not much of a scent lingered, just smelled clean and fresh.

• buffalotina
    15 years ago

bookert

Oh yes, you need hot water. I should add I do most of my washes on profile mode - starts with cold water and then heats up high. I usually do at least a 120F or even a 140F or higher temp wash. I cannot say how Persil will work or if it is worth the money unless you are using hot water. Persil works great with front loaders with a heater.

Good luck.

Tina

• shaggnasty
    15 years ago

Bought some Persil...it's great. But I don't think I can drop that kind of coin on a laundry detergent again, no matter how good it is.

• bookert
    Original Author
    15 years ago

buffalotina,

Thanks, unfortunately my Oasis machine is the first generation without the heater. I think your post helps me determine that for the cost of this detergent, I would be better off not buying since it wouldn't benefit me as the owners of high temp. wash machines.
    I had no luck finding it locally after calling several appliance stores that carry Miele.

shagg,

It's funny how some of us will spend more on detergents etc... and others on foodstuffs etc.. It's definitely all a matter of personal choice.

• cynic
    15 years ago

I have never tried it and I don't personally know anyone who has. However, there were several on the forum I felt I knew, at least I respected their opinions on other things so I think they were being honest and they spoke highly of it as I said. Like I said, they talk about using less but face it, when you're talking $1-$1.50 PER LOAD just for detergent, even using 1/4 the amount is still very expensive. But then again expensive is in the mind of the beholder too.

I'm a person who doesn't want smell in clothes. I gag walking down a detergent/cleaner aisle in a store. To me, when the clothes smell, they need to be washed. But some want perfume on everything. I would like to see them sell the detergent and stench separately. Pick what you want to put in there.

I first tried Tide about 25+ years ago and itched so bad I dumped it out. A little over a year ago I bought a free/sensitive version. It was on sale and I had a coupon and could stack a store/mfgr coupon on it so I tried it. Was very pleased. No smell and no itch. But I don't like the smells. Shortly after I got some samples of the Tide regular 2x and the Gain "Original" 2x and thought I'd be brave and try them. No itch on either of them. Plus for me the Tide does a super job cleaning. Then I got such a deal that I bought a bunch more so I'm well supplied. I don't use additives anymore and my clothes are clean, itch-free and don't smell. I use very little of it too. I have a bottle of the 1x I'm using right now and I use the 2x cap filled to between line 1 and 2 and I get great results. So translated that'd be about 3/4 of the line 1 amount. Never measured it in tablespoons but since the load ratings on the jugs are based on line 2 useage, that means I'll get somewhere around 70-75 loads from a 32 load jug. I used about the same proportion on the 2x also which makes it cheap for me to use, plus not needing the additives is a bonus savings.

Somehow I just can't get myself to pay $1 per load for laundry detergent. It wouldn't break me, just one of my quirks. I usually aim for about 5/load or less. I wish I would have written the date on the jug when I started it. Should do that next time. Would also like to track the number of loads I actually get out of the bottle too. But for me, I want to put the clothes in and get them clean with minimal fuss.

Oh, FWIW, I was at Kmart the other day and got curious on the Gain Apple/Mango Tango formula so I popped the top and took a whiff. I was surprised. It wasn't the sickeningly sweet, chemical smell of most detergents, rather it was sort of a fruity smell and not overpowering. Most will nearly knock you out when you open the container but this was more subtle. I might be able to tolerate that one but I'm not sure I want to walk around smelling like a fruit basket. Maybe for towels. But I think I have about a 3 year supply of detergent now so I doubt I'll be buying more for a long time. Unless I run into another deal of 36¢ per bottle detergent! Oh, that included tax. ;)

• czechchick2
    15 years ago

cynic, Persil doesn't leave much of smell after washing and drying. It just smell clean. I have allergies to many things and so has my bf. I like some scents but strong ones make me sick. When you open box of Persil it is very strong though.
    It is very expensive at least for me too but we don't smoke or drink or party so it is kind of o.k. for me to dish out dollar a load. Got to splurge on something. Well Persil and chocolate does it for me.

• bookert
    Original Author
    15 years ago

cynic,

You do crack me up!
    I, too, can't tolerate walking down the detergent isle for very long. I end up sneezing/and or coughing.
    I have lots of detergents that will last me a few years, and I like the brands I'm currently using, no problems. I fall for new and improved or comments made by our fellow posters and it's off to the races! =) ugh.... I must stop this craziness!
    Since I try to line dry as much as possible any scents are gone, replaced by the oh so sweet smell of the sun! =)
    Sounds like you were able to get some fantastic deals on your supply! Awesome!

czechchick,

Bring on the dark chocolate party and I'm there! =)
    I'm with you in regards to what I spurge on. I will cut my grocery bill to buy laundry soap! I'm the laundry queen at my house so I get to choose what to use. Never had a complaint yet.
    Maybe some day I'll be able to get a Miele although would that be possible without 220v and having a wood floor?

Thanks for the posts!

Happy Easter!
    I'm thankful for my life and hope you all are too.

• fordtech
    15 years ago

Im still a Persil fan but I stopped using it until I use up all the Sears detergent I purchased in bulk. Sears detergtnt was a lot less expensive but I find we use more of it too, so the price diff isnt as large as it seems. I found that Persil works great in small amounts but I also blended it with STPP, so the cost factor was even higher. I would blend a $50.00 box of Persil with about $16.00 worth of STPP for about 8-9 months of laundering approx 6-7 loads per week. The best part was the smell of Persil. :)

• bookert
    Original Author
    15 years ago

fordtech,

Seems like everyone so far has really liked
    the smell of Persil.
    Do you know what the ingredients are in their
    detergents? Found nothing on google.
    Any idea what they use that's superior to
    our US detergents with enzymes?
    Oh and what unit do you have? Others that have
    Miele etc.. with high heat wash seem to be getting
    great results!

• mayart
    15 years ago

I also liked Persil's smell, don't like the price, but I liked the smell and the way it worked.

• fordtech
    15 years ago

bookert, I have no idea the ingredients but I think it has oxygen bleach in it like oxy clean which would explain why the high temp machines like Miele have greatest results. The smell is reminiscent of way back when I was young and my Mom used Oxydol with bleach crystals. It smelled great. I think you could use Persil as a room freshner.. LOL.

I have a Maytag Neptune front load rear control MAH7500AWW with the LCD display screen. It has never been a problem one. I learned how to mess up a washer with my other older Neptune when I used too much detergent and too much fabric softner and only cold washes. This newer machine has never had even a slight odor from it and works like a champ. It has onboard heater as well, just not a sauna steamer like the new models.

• bookert
    Original Author
    15 years ago

fordtech,

Sure sounds like the smell would win me over if not anything else.=)
    My mom has the slightly older Neptune with the push button controls and loves hers too. Never a problem either until now. I may try to fix the dryer belt, but not the washer as I'm not that confident I could put it back together! ha!
    Hers doesn't have an onboard heater.

I have lots of STTP and since I have hard well water I would add it to the Persil for sure.
    Still looking for a semi local place to purchase, but may order it online if I'm unsuccessful.
    Great day!

• elbits
    15 years ago

Jonsgirl, I zipped into Biglots yesterday and bought the green bottle of Oxydol. You were right aboout the scent, vintage. As far as the fruity one, why would anyone want to smell like an apple?

• jonsgirl
    15 years ago

I know, a rotten apple!! I really like the green bottle, I wish the detergent manufacturers would change all detergents back to that vintage smell, I have some older boxes of Tide and it just smells so refreshing and simple and clean. Not synthetic smelling...

• xcarbon_madex
    15 years ago

Hi Bookert,

You can get the Persil ingredients from the Henkel Consumer Info website. See link below. You can search "Persil" from there. Just make sure you change the country to Germany and language to German, or scroll to the top to make sure Country and Language are blank (you'll get all versions of the document that way). If you get the country or language wrong, it won't give you any information. It has the ingredients for all the Persil product lines. I noticed that Henkel has Purex listed on their site as one of their products. I guess Henkel and Dial are affiliated. If you go to the Purex website, you get a link for both companies at the bottom. I can't find the ingredients to Purex though. I was curious if it's the same as Persil but for the US market.

For what it's worth, I just ordered a bunch of Persil products off of Amazon, since it was time for me to buy new stuff anyway, and I hadn't yet formed any HE loyalties. Hoping it will end up being as cost effective as some say. If not, it will at least be a fun experience to try something new that has such a reputation.

Take care,
    Nico

• whirlpool_trainee
    15 years ago

Last month, our German consumer magazine tested powdered and liquid detergents for whites. Persil and Ariel (by P&G) came out as the number one detergents - both having the same overall score. Persil was the most expensive detergent: 1/3 more expensive per wash load than Ariel, which is considered "the other" premium brand here in Germany. However, most cheaper brands, such as Aldi detergent, did just as well. In fact, two powders that cost only a third of what Persil costs, did actually better at "Stain removal at 86°F " than both Persil and Ariel!

Naturally, brands such as Tide were not included, neither did they test the Miele branded detergent.

As for liquid detergents: as usual they all did a pretty poor job. Since they lack (oxygen) bleaching agents, whites became dingy over time and bleachable stains were not shifted. They also contain more surfactants, which makes them harder on the environment.

Alex

• mysteryclock
    15 years ago

Here's a rundown of the Persil (German) ingredients and a link to the data sheet. Any Chemists / ChemE's reading this thread care to comment?

Under "Classified Substances"

(>= 7 - (>= 20%) Sodium carbonate
    (>= 7-(>= 5-(>= 1 - Under "Labeling for Contents":

(5-15%) anionic surfactants, oxygen-based bleaching agent
    ((Further Ingredients) Perfumes, Benzyl salicylate, Linalool, Hexyl cinnamal, optical brighteners, Enzymes

• elbits
    15 years ago

Ok, I washed a load of darks with the Oxydol in the green bottle that Jonsgirl recommended. I am now wearing the pants that were washed and boy do they smell just like laundry did years ago! I might have to zip over to Biglots and buy another bottle. I just wish it were in a powder formula.

• chinook73
    15 years ago

I must be in a very small minority here because I tried Persil (just a few loads from a friend's box) and absolutely could not stand the smell! The clothes were SO scented, even using a very small amount. Ack! I didn't notice any amazing stain-removal qualities either. I'm back to good old Tide, and am waiting for some "Jenny's Simply Clean" to arrive to try that.

• fordtech
    15 years ago

Well obviously some people love the scent and others drop dead if you have ANY scent. Some are indifferent. I would suggest if people hate scented laundry that they do not use Persil in the regular formulation. If it werent for the scent I sure wouldnt be so enthusiastic about Persil personally. I just use a small amount though. If you used the suggested dosage on the box in a front loader you were WAY overdosed. If you dont use very hot water it wont have any magical stain cleaning element either as oxygen bleach requires hot water to be effective. I use LCB with my whites.

• fordtech
    15 years ago

bookert, in regards to fixing the Neptune washer yourself it isnt too bad at all. The problem today with fixing any older Maytag is that Whirlpool has tagged us with huge price gouges on parts to the extent that if you choose to use Maytag parts for the expensive items you might as well buy a new washer. For example, the outer tub which used to be readily avaliable for 200.00 is now about 450.00. Similar pricing diffences for the digital display board too. If it werent for all the excess parts being sold off much cheaper on Ebay or alternative repairs you can do yourself, Whirlpool has found an effective way to abandon all the old Maytag true blue owners once and for all.

• mayart
    15 years ago

Has Persil always had optical brighteners?? I used it a couple years ago, and just looked at a box of it in the store yesterday and optical brighteners is listed under the ingredients.

• czechchick2
    15 years ago

I leave the box of Persil open all the time so after few weeks the smell is not as strong. First few days our whole house smells like Persil. After a month it is very faint and pleasant and since I keep litter box in laundry room too, I don't have that "fresh kitty poo smell" when they don't cover it up.
    In my 4.00 FL I use 1/3 dry measuring cup of Persil on allmost full load and it doesn't have perfume smell at all after washing and drying. In the small european FL I use about 1/4 of the cup. The smaller washer extracts better and more water out. It rinses better too without any extra rinse.

• davegvg
    15 years ago

I've been using Persil for 3.5 years now, with my Miele 1215, and its an amazing product. Of course the machines pretty good as well.

I use about 3-4 tablespoons a load. Persils cleaning power seems quite good, Id say on par or equal to any other brand Ive tried, but its certinly not "magical" but competent. It does not require heat to obtain good results, but it helps. It does just "smell good" and it seems to rinse well.

In my observation the reason to spend the money is the clothing treatment and retain color is absolutely superb the best I've found. Everything stays either white or colorful seemingly forever.

Dave

• zedd
    15 years ago

Persil is by far my favorite detergent. Very little suds, cleans great, smells great. We use both the MegaPerls Universal and the MegaPerls for color. In a 4.0 Whirlpool Duet, I use 40ml for a FULL load, and about 20ml for the less than full load. We also have softened water.

We buy ours at a local European Grocer, it's about $40 Canadian for a 3KG box of MegaPerls. Check and see of you have a European Grocer in your area, they more than likely will carry it.

• cohoss
    14 years ago

I'm a fan of the Persil liquid -- absolutely LOVE the way it smells. It's fresh and clean and not too heavy at all. But, it's horribly expensive and I think you only get like 20 loads out of the bottle. My box of Megapearls lasted me for quite a while but didn't feel like it cleaned as well as Charlie's Soap. It's taken me a while to be a convert to Charlie's powder as I have extremely hard water and it took some adjusting with STP or STPP to soften the water to help it work.

Jonsgirl - thanks for the recommendation on Oxydol. I hate switching back and forth with the Charlies, but I like to have my sheets smell nice and "clean" (i.e. I do want some scent to them). It does remind me of vintage detergent and for the price you can't beat it. I bought 2 bottles at Big Lots.

• czechchick2
    14 years ago

Persil is my number one favorite since over 25 years ago. I tried many detergents over the years but I always go back to Persil.It is simple and it works in our hard water.
    Right now I'm experimenting w/Roma which is so cheap, I had to try. So far I did 4 loads and the results look to be as good as w/Persil. I just don't know what the long term usage will bring. I put my Persil in the closet and see how our landry will look after couple of months.
    I tried CS and after couple of months I went back to Persil to get all the dinginess out.
    Persil is expensive and I think it's worth it but if I ever fine something as good and cheaper I switch.

• brutuses
    14 years ago

I've been using my newly purchased Persil for a week or so and love it. I love that it cleans all the clothes without added boosters. I use vinegar in all my rinses so I don't get a strong scent on the clothes, just a slight clean one. I don't mind paying the high price for a superior product and the Persil is surely that.

• gates1
    13 years ago

I while back I posted on here that I was having issues with getting the machine oil smell out of work clothes. I have used Tide HE, Gain HE, Era HE, clorax 2, oxyclean, vinagar, ammonia (1pint per wash load) Lestoil (made them smell like pinesol) one can of coke, added to the wash from a recommendation of a poster on here. I presoaked, prewashed, even washed the work clothes on the longest setting on sanitary cycle at 153 degree with no improvement at all in the end results. So last sunday, I ordered persil, I have used it before, and loved it, so I thought I would try it again....IT WORKED! I just finished my first load of jeans and they came out smelling fresh and clean! Yes persil is expensive to buy, but after I bought all that additional additives that were useless, the price of persil doesnt look so bad now and I am sold for life on the product. I used the universal powder, not the mega pearls and I dont it is not meant for jeans as it made increase fading on them, but I do not care. I got tired of having to keep all my work clothes seperate when I take them off so avoid contaminting my non work clothes. I found out that the machine oil we use is a vegetable base product, not petrolium like I orginally thought. You can just walk in the machine shop, never get a drop of oil on you, but when you come out, your clothes will have that smell in them and to my experience, no american made detergent will remove it from your clothes. I cant wait for the clothes to dry, so I can see if it removed the oil spots too

• rosesark
    13 years ago

I also bought persil, and i can say that it did clean very well, but i am one of those who do not like the smell at all. No matter how little i put in it is way too strong on my clothes, but i am one of the weird ones who can tolerate tide, but gain gives me headache. I love cheer, but they don't have the HE in powder original scent and i can't stand the "fresh scent" of the liquid HE. I am going to drop by sears and smell the boxes there and will definately stop at big lots too! I seem to be having a problem with tide at the moment. It seems that it leaves a film or you can feel a film on the clothes and drum, no matter how much or how little i use.

• gates1
    13 years ago

Thats interesting Roseark, I do not smell Persil in m clothes after I washed them, and on my really oily work clothes, I used twice as much between the presoak and wash cycle. I wonder if water chemistry has something to do with that? I loved using tide, never had a film left on my clothes or drum either. I have very hard water here, and I adjust my soap according to hard water conditions.

• larsi_gw
    13 years ago

Roseark...When is your new Electrolux Wave Touch set being delivered???

Your experience with Tide he Powder is the EXACT reason I have decided to NEVER use it again. Over the years with my Miele units, I would always try and go back to Tide he Powder. I actually like the scent A LOT, and it is so affordable and available everywhere. Everytime I used it though, my clothes seemed "coated" and looked dull. Stains and odors were gone, but the clothes did not look bright and fresh. The BIG thing in both my Miele units and also my new Electrolux units, was that after every load using Tide he Powder...the stainless steel wash drums were coated, dull and if you ran your finger across the steel drum & and then looked at your finger..you could see a faint white residue on my finger! Every load! Whites, colours, sheets...warm water, hot water, cold water, sanitize, etc... I called our local water district and asked them, and the said with my zip code we do NOT have "hard" water. Tide just makes my clothes and stainless wash drum look horrible. Love my Persil and actually Sears Ultra Plus he Powder with Stain fighters. It's great and SO, SO cheap!!!

• hcj1440
    13 years ago

I got a box of the universal powder and one of the color megaperls and have been experimenting with them for a couple of weeks.

I'm not as happy with it as I thought I would be. The smell is very, very strong for me, while the cleaning performance isn't as magical as I was hoping for. And my son seems to be reacting to it -- he seems a bit rashy on his torso. Not enough to bother him but enough that I noticed it.

I don't want to use less because already the stain removal is not as good as I was hoping for. But the smell is driving me nuts. Unless something new happens (and it may -- I have two big boxes of Persil and it will take a long time to go through both) I don't think I will reorder. If I do give it another try, I think it will be the Sensitive formula or the gel (heard the gel was better on food stains as well as better for towels because it doesn't have zeolites).

• rosesark
    13 years ago

Larsi, i am hoping for delivery this week, please, please!!! had a terrible experience at a laundry mat. I called our water dept. and was told that our water was in between hard and soft. They recommended some borax or vinegar. Said that borax would change the water to soft, and had me on the phone for 40 min giving me a lesson on the chemicals they use for water here, how certain things change the minerals etc... Didn't make it to Sears today, nor to Big Lots. The liquid tide i used in my other washer also made my clothes smell bad after a few days hanging in the closet. Still haven't gotten all the smell out, but am confident that when i get the Wave thwt it will take care of it. At least i can use the dryer. Really wish that i could tolerate Persil. Even if the smell is light on my clothes it still smells too musky to me.

• livebetter
    13 years ago

I too felt Persil was too strong for me. This week I purchased the Sensitive Megaperls and I love it! It seems to clean just as well as Universal Megaperls but smells MUCH softer.

To clarify (because I was told they have new packages coming) this stated that it contained Almond Milk and Aloe Vera.

I also purchased the Color Gel but find it strong too. I will go back for the Sensitive Gel and hope it's nice and subtle like the Megaperls.

The Senstive Megaperls are for whites and the Senstive Gel is safe for colors.

• rosesark
    13 years ago

livebetter, does it smell at all like the persil universal powder? because if it does, i don't want to waste my money. My hubby doesn't care for the smell either. I wish that they could have other scents, or that there was another brand like it with a complete different smell. I bought a big box, and it is double bagged in the garage. Can't use it at all so it just sits until i find someone who will use it.If sensitive megapearls did smell like almond milk then i could handle it. Even when i ran my towels through 2 washes without any more persil, i can still smell it on them and i only used 1 Tbl.the first time i washed them with it!

• sshrivastava
    13 years ago

Persil is not anymore concentrated than any other concentrated detergent. Although some claim success with as little as 1 TBS, the manufacturer recommends 7 TBS for soft water, 9 TBS for medium hard, and 10 TBS for hard/very hard in 6-7 kg machines. The large capacity US front loaders are in the 8-10 kg range. If you're not getting satisfactory cleaning results in a 4+ cuft machine, I would definitely suggest the recommendations here as a starting point. I posted these in another thread, as they are the recommendations taken directly from the Persil web site, converting ml to tablespoons.

I've been using 3-4 TBS in softened water with success but without suds and rinsing issues. I may add 1-2 TBS of sodium percarbonate if I want some extra whitening. I used to use 1.5 TBS in my Asko which had about half the capacity, so at least 3 TBS would be appropriate for machines this size.

• hcj1440
    13 years ago

sshrivastava -- thanks for posting the TBS equivalents.

For the record, I have a 6kg, 220v Miele and very soft water (naturally soft, not softened, if that makes any difference). I have the soft water rinse setting onb (higher water level rinses with visible water line). I have a scoop that measures in mL and have been using the recommended amount for normal soil and soft water from the side of the Persil box. 100mL for universal powder and 65mL for the megaperls. Maybe I have some super tough toddler food stains or something and need to use the recommended amount for "heavy soil". However -- the smell is already so strong and my son seems to be having a mild skin reaction so I am very hesitant to use even more.

• rosesark
    13 years ago

Me too. I did the recommended amount on some sheets, then an extra rinse, then had to run them through a whole other cycle because when i dried the sheets the first time the smell was way too strong. After the second wash with no detergent, they still smell strong to me, so when i get my replacement washer in, i will have to put them through again. I guess i am too sensitive to it which is a bummer.

• livebetter
    13 years ago

rosesark, It does not smell the same. It does have a scent hard to describe to ME it is very soft compared to regular Persil. Has a somewhat "milky" smell (if that makes sense). I detect a little floral in there too (I think??).

I was lucky to find a new supplier that carries all the versions in the smaller 18 load size. I was able to by the smaller pack and try it that way.

I did buy the Persil Color Gel but will be going back to get the Sensitive Gel instead. I found even the Color Gel had too much scent for me.

I think all the variable factors between us all explains why some find it too much and others find it has no scent (which machine we have, our water, our personal fragrance preferences, etc )

Im crazy for laundry and laundry products (cleaning products too) and will spend $$$ to feed my "habit" :)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio