SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
subk3

BS & CC users: How do YOU clean your cast iron grates?

subk3
13 years ago

I'm trying to figure out how I should manage cleaning the cast iron on my new BlueStar. There seems to be several lines of thought on the process.

One YouTube video suggests seasoning it with oil (oil and salt first time) just as you would a cast iron skillet. Another recommends putting the grates in the dishwasher. (Horrors! That's something I'd never do with a seasoned cast iron skillet! and what about rust if you go unseasoned?) There are also suggestions of cast iron cleaning/seasoning products. Yet another thread here says no seasoning as you should only season cast iron that comes in contact with food. (Is sauce no longer food just because it is no longer in the pot but on my grate?)

So, I'm curious what the people here who are using these things are doing to keep them clean! Do you season or not. It would also be helpful to know how fastidious you are about your cleaning standards (i.e are you a complete scrub down the kitchen every time you cook kind of person or just a wipe down with major cleaning every so often type.)

Comments (9)