SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
miata94

Best way for AC to operate? Cycles a lot now.

miata94
10 years ago

Hello all,

I have a 2700 sq ft. 1.5 story house, with the master on the first floor. Our HVAC has 2 zones and a 4 ton 13 SEER Lennox unit. We never go upstairs, so we keep the thermostat up there at 85 degrees. For downstairs, which is 1800 sq ft, we keep it at 78 degrees. My girlfriend is a teacher and is off for the summer, so I don't set the thermostat back during the day.

Since we are almost just using a 4 ton ac unit for 1800 sq ft, it seems like our AC unit is cycling a lot, and doesn't stay on too long since only the first zone needs cooling and it cools the first floor very quick. Would it be better to get a new thermostat that allows a 2 degree differential, that way when it reaches 78 it can cool to 76, and cycle a lot less? Will longer run times and less start ups extend the life of the ac unit by quite a bit? My last question is what is the recommended set ahead for a thermostat in the summer? When my girlfriend starts working again, I plan on setting the thermostat ahead 5 degrees while we are gone. We live in NC by the way. Thanks for all of the help!

Comments (6)