SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michael1234_gw

New Central System In the Cards...

michael1234
16 years ago

First off, I'd like to thank everyone for all the info that this forum has provided me in the last 2-3 hours of reading. What a find for a guy like me!

Here's the deal:

I'm facing up to reality that my 1,190 sq. ft. home (live near OKC) is in need of a new central A/C system. The current unit is ~15 years old, was installed poorly, and the problems are becoming more and more frequent.

I'm looking to replace the entire system. I have 3 quotes lined up, with the first taking place this morning. First guy's assessment:

-- Upflow system; house needs 2.5 ton / 30k BTUs.

-- Will require new output plenum above furnace unit (current is too small and has likely caused a fair amount of our problems, as well as hampering performance by a fat amount). Other than that, our duct system is "just great" for the house.

-- He installs TXVs as standard. Replaces all wiring, tubing, electrical, condenser foundation, and so on. New digital t-stat and intake grille (big freakin' deal, right?).

-- System install gets three separate inspections at completion. Ours can be done in half a day. He has 13 crews working at any given time.

-- He's a Lennox dealer. Suggested system for us:

Furnace = Elite G50 UH-36A-070 80% AFUE

Outside = Elite XC13 - 030 // Up to 14.5 SEER

With plenum rebuild, etc., he's quoting at $7995.

His is the same company with whom we've had our current maintenance plan for years, so we have some experience with them. Their service has been fine, no problems, and their techs have all seemed well-kempt and knowledgeable.

I've learned from these boards that "install quality" is paramount. If I can get an exemplary install, I don't mind paying more $$$ upfront. That said, does this quote seem reasonable to the folks here?

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!