SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sarose_gw

Need new central air conditioning system

sarose
15 years ago

Well, the news is a wee bit worse that I anticipated. It seems not only is my evaporator coil leaking, but the compressor is creeping along. So, I've spent the day reading online about central air conditioning systems. Given that the whole system is 15 years old (1993), the consensus is that I should replace the entire shebang, including the gas furnace, to the tune of $4,000-$6,000 dollars depending on what SEER rating I choose.

I live in San Antonio, TX. My one story 1600 sq. ft brick home was built in 1973 and has deep 3 ft. overhangs. I have a split system with a natural gas furnace The current system is a RUUD with a 3 ton compressor; and other than regular maintenance has never given me problems up until now. (It's just old and tired.) I have an electronic thermostat connected to the power company that recycles various homes off for abut 15 min. during peak periods. My online research today recommended having my ducts checked and retaped as part of the package deal.

So, does anyone on these boards know anything about the various central air conditioning systems on the market today? I want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly before making such a huge purchase.

Comments (4)