SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msloane794

Help - Yet another request for recommendations

msloane794
16 years ago

I have to apologize for posting yet another thread just asking for recommendations, but I'm in a bit of a panic, and don't have time/energy to do all the research that I would typically do for such a purchase.

I have an immediate need to replace 20 year old kenmore washer/dryer. I've read a bit here and Consumer Reports, and a few reviews to realize there is no "Easy Answer", but here are my constraints/needs/wants:

1) I'm ok with spending $2500-$3000 for the total package, if this amount of money will get me what I want.

2) Reliability and functionality is my top priority. If the appliances don't clean/dry or if they break down, then this whole thing is pointless. I understand there are no absolute guarantees here, and problems will happen. I'd just like to reduce my exposure if possible.

3) We are a heavy laundry usage family of five, and my wife runs a day-care business in our home. High use, and large loads are normal.

3) I like the idea of FL Washer and matching dryer on pedestals. Easy on the back, and I like the apparent ease of use of this configuration. This isn't a must, as we are replacing traditional a TL washer/dryer combo.

4) I'm scared of the "smell" issue of FL Washers that are talked about all over. We live in a fairly dry area of the country (Idaho), so maybe this won't be as big as a problem elsewhere. I haven't heard any correlation to the smell/mold problems with humid geographies, but it makse sense to me that this might be the case. Comments?

5) The laundry room in our house is a pass-through room (that goes to the day-care area), and a bit cramped. It gets a lot of traffic. The width of the room (that needs to accomodate the depth of the appliances, and provide space to "pass-through) is 67 inches. The FL washers' I have looked at are 54" deep, with the door open. If I add 4-6" for gas-pipes, etc. behind the appliances, it seems workable (but cramped). Comments?

6) Noise and vibration are a fairly high concern for me.

7) Water and Energy savings are great, but I would not put them above the priorities of reliability, space, and noise/vibration.

At the moment, I'm leaning toward Whirlpool Duet HT Steam products, even though I've read horror stories on them. I might go the TL route instead, and it seems that Whirlpool has a decent HE TL unit too. It seems that horror stories abound for all washer/dryers these days, so its hard to know what to expect.

If anyone has recommendations that would be a high probability of success for what I'm looking for, I'm all ears. I'm open to spending the $$$ if it gets me what I want.

----------

Side note: Typically I enjoy doing the research, and trade-offs, but I'm in the midst of a bit of a storm, and I just need to get new laundry appliances ASAP. Check out the link below if interested..... :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: My post: Remodeling woes - humorous venting

Comments (12)