SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
neetsiepie

Family dynamics. A vent.

14 years ago

Long story short, Mom's husband (L) had emergency surgery and will be ok for now. He's pretty much living on borrowed time, health wise, but he's not terminal...just not in the best of health.

Mom called me today to tell me about the latest round at the hospital and it dawned on me after I hung up with her, that if (when) he dies, she'll be utterly alone and basically only have me & my DH & kids for comfort.

He's got adult children who are not close to my mom, and my siblings DO NOT LIKE L. Mom's got very little family, and they're across the country. They've got some friends, but they're mainly his friends and former coworkers she inherited after his divorce. Mom doesn't have any girlfriends of her own that she's in regular contact with.

So I got incredibly sad to think about my mom being at that hospital alone. I offered to drive down to the town where they're at but she didn't want me to do that now.

I remember when Dad died, and how the family all came together, and my Dad's family still embraced my mom. She and Dad were married 40 years, so she still is considered family by his kin, but when L dies, they're just not going to be there for her other than to send a card, YKWIM?

I guess Mom has kind of brought this on herself, she's a difficult person to be around, but I've got her figured out and she and I are close now. She's not so close with my sibs, and that also makes me sad.

Well, thanks for letting me vent. It's really hard when our parents age, and to have to be the 'responsible' kid. Fortunately Mom is healthy and vibrant and active, but I'm sad to think of how scared & alone she is right now and will be someday.

Comments (10)