SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
parrothead_fa

Can adjusting t-stat swing save on electric bill?

13 years ago

We live in south Florida, and we recently replaced the badly undersized central air condioner in our home. The new system is a Rheem 15.5 SEER 13 EER 3.5 ton. (upgraded from the 2.5 ton builder model that was in the house when it was built a few years ago, and could NOT adequately cool the home)I have a digital non programmable thermostat with adjustable swing. I had been using it just as it came out of the box, if we set the t stat to 79, it would turn unit on when temp reached 80.1, and turn it off when it reached 78.5. This results on most days in run times of 23-26 mins, and off times of 20-22 mins in between. I recently discovered that I can adjust the swing on the t-stat so that if you set it at 80, it will turn on when temp reaches 82.1, and turn off when temp gets down to 79.0. The new settings usually result in run times of 30-37 mins, and off times of 1 hour or so in between. The change of a few degrees dosen't bother my wife and I, as we both have arthritis, and prefer to be on the warmer side. The new unit does an excellent job of dehumidification, which is our main concern. The home is well insulated, and interior humidity is usually around 40% or so, which is quite comfortable to us. My question is, will I actually save more energy usage with the slightly longer run times, but greatly increased off times? June was the first month we used the system continuously, as we live by the sea and enjoy opening our windows for the breeze on evenings and mornings when it's not too hot, and often leave the patio doors open on mild days. So far it has proved to be as efficient as the contractors advertised, our electric bill was around $35-$40 a month more in june & july than the months when we don't have to use the heat or AC at all. Just wondering if there's any way we can shave a few extra dollars off that.

Dave

Comments (5)